Talk:Netscape (web browser)
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
I think it is not a good idea to show screenshots of old Netscape versions (4.x) displaying a recent Wikipedia main page; due to old Netscape's incomplete CSS support, this looks rather horrid - but it wasn't the typical surfing experience when using Netscape 4.x at the height of its success in the nineties. Then-current web pages were typically well adjusted to Netscape and much of the web was still written in HTML 3.2. Therefore I think that screenshots displaying an appropriate historical website would be more fitting here. Gestumblindi 21:42, 15 March 2007 (UTC)
- I agree. Perhaps the Internet Archive can be useful here. Shinobu 11:13, 22 May 2007 (UTC)
Netscape Browser dying off
According to this post by the netscape team the browser is dead, I don't know what to add to the entry for a browser being not supported any longer however.
I would expect some citation on strong words like "MS IE had far better HTML engine". As a user of both browsers at that time, I can't agree. Are we speaking about the first FINAL version of Netscape 4 compared to IE final/stable version of that time or something gets out of sync there? For example, Netscape 4.5 is horribly outdated compared to current IE HTML engine of that time (when it was shipped) but it was released ages after Netscape "4". Ilgaz (talk) 15:17, 29 December 2007 (UTC)
Article needs major upgrade
Points it needs to make:
- NN's origins as MOSAIC.
- NN 1-3 popularised the Web - reasonably good browsers (for the time) heavily promoted, e.g. given away as freebie on mag covers.
- NN 4 was appalling - so bad Netscape Corp gave it away:
- Poor CSS support.
- Non-standard DOM.
- Many bugs, many of which caused crashes, some of which killed the OS (Win 95 / 98).
- Code handed over to Mozilla foundation, open source.
- NN 6 (there was no 5) based on Gecko (layout engine):
- 6.0 buggy
- 6.1 OK, 6.2 onwards good.
- NN 7 offered users option to use Gecko or IE engine. Philcha (talk) 07:33, 10 April 2008 (UTC)
Image copyright problem with Image:Netscape 7 En.PNG
The image Image:Netscape 7 En.PNG is used in this article under a claim of fair use, but it does not have an adequate explanation for why it meets the requirements for such images when used here. In particular, for each page the image is used on, it must have an explanation linking to that page which explains why it needs to be used on that page. Please check
- That there is a non-free use rationale on the image's description page for the use in this article.
- That this article is linked to from the image description page.
The following images also have this problem: