Talk:Norwegian Forest cat
|Norwegian Forest cat has been listed as one of the Natural sciences good articles under the good article criteria. If you can improve it further, please do so. If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it.|
|WikiProject Cats||(Rated GA-class, Mid-importance)|
|WikiProject Norway||(Rated GA-class)|
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia.|
Suggestion: We need some sort of template containing headings, sub-heading, etc., that could be used for all the cat entries. It looks like all the entries for the various cat breeds follow their own structure. Having a template that could be followed would encourage people to add stuff to fill in the missing bits.
What do people think? ('--Gary Judd 08:59, 5 Sep 2004 (UTC)',,);
- check out the cat breeds project for outlines on how the articles should look. Also, the table has a set format and color for a reason. If you want to help out on this project (and we really need the help), please read the project page, and related talk page. You might also want to check out the dog breeds project and talk page for more info. I'm glad to see someone with more than a passing interest in these articles :) [[User:Lachatdelarue|Lachatdelarue (talk)]] 13:42, 23 Sep 2004 (UTC)
Thanks for leaving your comments re why you made the changes. I thought for a moment that my 'improvements' had been vandalised! :)
- No problem... and don't forget to sign in before editing stuff (I noticed your reply was from an IP). I did that all the time when I first started on here. [[User:Lachatdelarue|Lachatdelarue (talk)]] 14:32, 24 Sep 2004 (UTC)
I'm Bjørn Steensrud and finally wrote an NFO article on the Norwegian (!) Wikipedia .. wondering if I could use the photo on this article? It was suggested to me that photos and artwork could be put in commons.wikimedia.org for linking into all the wikipedias. As member of the board of Norsk Skogkattring I have a hard time deciding what photo to use, someone will always be unhappy about it and the old Truls photos aren't that good anyway ..
April 2, 2005, 1300 UTC
- I was going to say you should feel free to upload the photo to the norwegian wiki and/or commons, but i just noticed that the photo doesn't have source/liscensing information, so you should probably try to find another one that has a free license. damn, i should probably remove this photo. ::sigh:: it was a good photo... Lachatdelarue (talk) 15:12, 2 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- A very good resource for free images of all kinds is our own Commons... which is where I got one for this article. Lupo 14:29, September 6, 2005 (UTC)
Very old breed?
Ok, it may still be old, but they didn't exist until at least the 17th century since long haired cats were unknown in Scandinavia until then. // Liftarn
If you say something like this, you should give a source. It is also quite unlikely as there is descriptions of longhaired cats going back to the viking age.
Do we really need ten links to breeders? I'd say that was link-farm territory, and far too many for an encyclopedia. 220.127.116.11 14:57, 13 November 2007 (UTC)
Convergent or Descendant evolution and 'Maine' Differences?
I have what I believe to be a Maine Coon Cat, however the appearances of the Norwegian Forest Cat and the Maine Coon are very similar. What primarily distinguishes between the two? Do the two breeds' similarities warrant some kind of note of distinction be added to both articles? Also, are the two breeds convergently evolved, or did the Maine Coon in fact derive directly genetically from the Forest Cat? 18.104.22.168 (talk) 21:56, 19 March 2008 (UTC)
I am reverting the Image:Lolo.jpg file to actually be of the cat. Someone changed it to a football player, which was then used in es:Historia_del_Club_Universitario_de_Deportes. Is there a spanish speaker who can explain on the Spanish article's talk page? I'll fix that one with a new image, I guess. matt kane's brain (talk) 20:06, 31 May 2008 (UTC)
I don't mean to be rude, but...
I don't mean to be rude, but the amount of information in wiki's wegie article is PITIFUL! The Siberian cat wiki article is longer even though it is missing basic information like body weight and has only two lines for body characteristics. I'm trying to figure out if my cat is part Wegie or part Maine Coon. It doesn't say anything about how Wegie heads are supposed to be triangle shaped, after 20minutes of research I knew that. ( http://vonleibchens.googlepages.com/comparisonchart ) Gatorgirl7563 (talk) 20:18, 16 November 2009 (UTC)
- This review is transcluded from Talk:Norwegian Forest Cat/GA1. The edit link for this section can be used to add comments to the review.
Normally dogs are my thing, but I'll make an exception. ;)
I've done a few copy edits to it, but tried not to change anything significantly different - if I've changed anything inadvertently, then feel free to reverse it.
- History: "mountain-dwelling fairy cat with an ability to climb sheer rock faces that other cats could not manage." - needs to have a citation directly following it.
That's all the points I've got for now. Looks good, and not too far away from GA. Only concern I have with the content is what will be a rather short health section - I know from experience that some breeds (albeit dog breeds) just don't have much health information. Is there any information on more common cat ailments related to this breed (for instance with dogs, there's usually information available on hip dysplasia). I note that there is the average age in the lead - this needs to be repeated in the new Health section.
- I have gone through this and made a number of copy-edits to improve the reading fluency, and reduce the number of short sentences which (I felt) made it a bit 'choppy'. Hopefully this is OK with everyone. Pesky (talk) 06:38, 27 March 2011 (UTC)
Ages of cats in photos seem wrong
From my experience, the "8 months" and "less than a year" old kittens seem mislabeled. I think an 8 months old looks much older. Here is an example of a 6 months old: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eU_7laU-48 It is true that "less than a year" probably covers the age of that cat, but I think it is around 3-4 months old, so it is a bit confusing. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 19:04, 4 February 2013 (UTC)
- Agreed and taken care of. CrowzRSA 03:04, 16 March 2014 (UTC)
- The above discussion is a good argument for removal of the kitten pictures' age labels, since you're all clearly just guessing, and don't have any sources to back up the ages of the kittens in the photos. Things like this endanger this page's WP:Good Article status. — SMcCandlish ☺ ☏ ¢ ≽ʌⱷ҅ᴥⱷʌ≼ 22:19, 6 June 2014 (UTC)