Talk:Osculating circle

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Mathematics (Rated Start-class, Mid-priority)
WikiProject Mathematics
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Mathematics, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Mathematics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Mathematics rating:
Start Class
Mid Priority
 Field: Geometry

higher dimensions Are there generalizations to higher dimensions? If yes maybe someone can add them. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 14:06, 2 December 2010 (UTC)

merge: see Talk:Contact (mathematics) --W!B: 03:32, 27 March 2006 (UTC)

In that article, "osculating" seems to mean having three points of intersection. That is not what it means in this article. I was under the impression that this usage is standard in differential geometry. Michael Hardy 22:17, 27 March 2006 (UTC)

Minor wording question[edit]

When reading

Osculate literally means to kiss; the term is used because osculation is a more gentle form of contact than simple tangency.

I am not sure the word "gentle" is the best. To be fair, I am having trouble coming up with a good improvement. "accurate", "tight", "precise", "lingering", "following", "parallel", "consistent", "refined", none seem to better capture the concept here. But I don't like "gentle" either.

Maybe someone with a moment of inspiration Roget could be proud of can come through and help out. Baccyak4H 18:10, 7 September 2006 (UTC)

"Gentle" makes sense because if you go from a tangent line to the curve, your acceleration abruptly changes, whwereas if you go from the osculating circle to the curve, it does not. Michael Hardy 18:32, 7 September 2006 (UTC)

I agree it makes sense that way. I only suspect there is a much more precise word, a better one. But as I cannot come up with it, it shall stand. If I come up with any ideas, I'll post here first. I encourage others to do the same. Baccyak4H 03:48, 8 September 2006 (UTC)

Four-point contact?[edit]

In one of the figures, this expression is used, although it is never defined nor described in the article. My best guess is that it means the circle shares one additional order of derivative with the curve than a typical osculating circle. I would think this clarification should be pursued in the article in lieu of the caption being altered to avoid this reference. Thoughts? Baccyak4H (Yak!) 20:31, 10 September 2007 (UTC)

Variable names[edit]

In the section 'Mathematical description', the curve is first called gamma and later C. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 09:01, 6 October 2008 (UTC)