Talk:Panel painting

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Visual arts (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Visual arts, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of visual arts on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the quality scale.
WikiProject Classical Greece and Rome (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is part of the WikiProject for Classical Greece and Rome, a group of contributors who write Wikipedia's Classics articles. If you would like to join the WikiProject or learn how to contribute, please see our project page. If you need assistance from a classicist, please see our talk page.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.

Cradled paintings.[edit]

This article, as well as the "Transfer of panel paintings" article, should mention cradled paintings. There should also be a separate, more exhaustive Wikipedia page about "Cradled paintings." Cradles are the grids of wood supporting panel paintings. I don't know, but I suppose some paintings may have had them since the Renassiance. But what happened later on--especially in the 19th century?--was the panels were split. (But not perhaps to the extent, to the thinness, discussed in "Transfer of panel paintings" when it mentions thin veneers of wood being pasted onto new panels.) The split panels--with 50%...75%?--of the wood removed were then attached in some fashion to the supporting "cradle," the grid I've described. I suppose the proponents of this outdated restoration technique liked the lighter weight of the resultant hacked-up panel, or thought it would be less likely to warp. This really should be discussed in an expert fashion on Wikipedia. I'm frankly shocked that there isn't a Wikipedia page on this. (Vsadesgrgfbbgf (talk) 16:30, 3 May 2012 (UTC))

WP:SOFIXIT Johnbod (talk) 17:25, 3 May 2012 (UTC)