From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Architecture (Rated Start-class, Top-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Architecture, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Architecture on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Top  This article has been rated as Top-importance on the project's importance scale.

I think that an image of a Pediment would greatly improve this article, however I'm not familiar with how to insert it. There is an image on "Architecture of Ancient Greece" page [1] that could be used. It is Ac.pediment.jpg [2]

Ok! The article needs help. --Mario todte 16:40, 5 January 2006 (UTC)

I think, so it is just a little bit better than before. --Mario todte 17:13, 10 January 2006 (UTC)

I am about to remove a couple of links[edit]

(see: Pere Lachaise Cemetery ) and architectural revivals because neither one leads, as far as I can see, to any place that sheds any light on pediments. The architectural revivals idea is a good one (opinion) - only the links goes someplace that does not, as far as I can see, deal with architectural revivals. So if you are attached to these links speak real soon, or fore ever hold your peace [piece?]. Carptrash 02:31, 16 December 2006 (UTC)

Greek Nat Acad link on 1st picture broken hjuk 08:22, 18 June 2007 (UTC)

I just removed or tympanum,[edit]

from the beginging of the article and probably some of the tympanum stuff later should go too. The T word is defined, (do we need sources listed here?) as Space between the lintel at the top of a doorway and the arch shape above it. This is not what this article suggests and certainly (opinion) tympanium is not another word for pediment. Carptrash 13:59, 18 June 2007 (UTC)

Will bow to yr knowledge. I don't claim to be an expert. WOuld it be worth visiting the definition on the disambig page or having a short page about the T thing. DO you know what you'd call a decorative panel on the outside of a building that looks like a T thing? hjuk 19:48, 18 June 2007 (UTC)
I'm not claiming to be an expert either, I just have a dictionary. What shape is the panel? And where is it located on the building? What is the building? When was it built? Until then, I'd call it Fred. Carptrash 21:09, 18 June 2007 (UTC)
Thanks for the reply - it's the same triangular shape as the pediment shown in the picture on the Wikipedia pediment article, on the front wall of a late Victorian London building. hjuk 08:20, 19 June 2007 (UTC)

Well, okay. I have continued delving into the black hole of my ignorance and have discovered that "tympanum" sculpture CAN include the sculpture inside a pediment, but the term is not synonymous with the term pediment. Rather it can refer (and this is definitely meaning #2 ) to the space inside the moldings of a the pediment, so calling that sculpture "tympanum sculpture" is (a new, revised opinion) correct. So, what is the building? I have an Architecture of London book somewhere and am curious. Carptrash 15:54, 19 June 2007 (UTC)

Thanks for that. Quite an 'umble building - Grand Parade in Harringay. Check the page; there's a picture of the decoration in question on there. hjuk 22:02, 19 June 2007 (UTC)

Here is the thing. I have an opinion on pretty much everything, and offer them as such. I would not call the design in the tympanum that you just sent me to a Chimera. Rather I'd label it a green man face. We can discuss this more if you like, but that's a start. Or next step. Or something. Carptrash 22:49, 19 June 2007 (UTC)

Certaanly looks like a Green Man from the Wiki entry. But I note that the phrase seems only to have been coined in 1939. I wonder what term was used prior to this. Also note that the GM entry is categorised as unreferenced. Doesn't mean it's wrong, but leaves me wishing I had THE architectural guide sitting here next to me. hjuk 06:45, 20 June 2007 (UTC)

I too have been looking for THE architectural guide and have not yet discovered it. However, in my home I'm surrounded by several hundred not-so-perfect other books and just found this quote, [1] that there are four main types of Green Man . . .. the spewing or uttering headwhere leaves or foliage emerge from the mouth . . .. - which is what the one in Harringay is. I'll see what I can find about the origin of the Green Man, but Harding suggest that it goes back to at least a medieval English poem "Gawain and the Green Knight." Life. What a great place to live. Carptrash 13:50, 20 June 2007 (UTC)
Sheridan and Ross contain a chapter in their book [2] called The Green Man, or Jack o' the Green, and suggest that the letter term was an old one. And so it goes, on and on and on.

I just moved this here[edit]

It came from the Pediments of the United States section. These are all pediments from buildings that are already in wikipedia, so they have once already passed the noteworthy test. Examples of what the article is about has to be a good thing, doesn't it? Why just the United States? Well anyone can add others - it could become Pediments of the world, but I'd like to see someone familiar with the peds of France or the UK or Argentina to add those. I know American architecture, so that is what I post. Carptrash (talk) 15:10, 21 September 2009 (UTC)


I have added a {{globalize}} template on the section "Significant pediments in the United States". Having a list of significant pediments is a good idea, but I don't see why the list should be limited to one country only. (talk) 09:28, 5 June 2012 (UTC)


  1. ^ Harding, Mike, A Little Book of The Green Man, Aurum Press, London, 1998
  2. ^ Sheridan & Ross, Gargoyles & Grotesques: Paganism in the Medieval Church, New York Graphic Society, Boston, 1975

I just removed this template[edit]

from a section called something like Pediments in the United States, so it was not surprising that it deals primarily with American buildings. Also this issue has already been addressed on the Talk Page, in 2009. If someone wants to do the work (instead of suggesting that someone else do it) and internationalize the list, I say, "Go for it." Einar aka Carptrash (talk) 14:38, 6 June 2012 (UTC)

Pediment or not?[edit]

Okay, I was wondering about one of the features at the doorways of Grand Central Terminal, and somebody suggested it might be a pediment. ---------User:DanTD (talk) 18:50, 8 December 2014 (UTC)

I'm sure these are pediments, but what type?