From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Education (Rated C-class, High-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Education, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of education and education-related topics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 High  This article has been rated as High-importance on the project's importance scale.
News This article has been mentioned by a media organisation:


What History?[edit]

There does not seem to be any discussion on the historical usage of the word 'Professor' now. This is a shame, as I wanted to know. The meaning has changed over the years; if anyone is an authority on this, I would welcome their contribution! ixo (talk) 17:16, 1 April 2013 (UTC)

Professor comparison wrong[edit]

The text says: "In countries on the northern European mainland, such as Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands and the Scandinavian countries, usage of professor as a legal title is limited much the same way as in most Commonwealth countries, that is, it is reserved for someone who holds a chair."

This is not correct: Germany call many different teaching positions at research or non-research universities "professor". It is not reserved to a "chair" like in the UK system. The same is true for belgium, here all university postions are "professor".

Only the "netherlands" have a system where only a full professor is termed "professor".

I propose that this gets corrected. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 13:39, 15 February 2012 (UTC)

vous — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 21:40, 6 April 2012 (UTC)

I do agree; the same is true in Sweden. Professor is no longer only used for so called (and old-fashioned) "chaired professors" ("ämnesföreträdare"). Since 1990 it is used for all teaching staff that are employed as professors ()and you need not be "chaired" to be what in the US would be a full professor). — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 12:22, 12 April 2012 (UTC)

In Scandinavia, Professor is only used for "full Professors," and they are considered to hold a professorial chair. However, generally all faculty members with the appropriate qualifications may be promoted to Professor. Those known as "Associate Professors", "Assistant Professors" and so forth in the US are not entitled to use the title. Bjerrebæk (talk) 15:53, 4 February 2013 (UTC)

Reid professor - who is this?[edit]

Found one in Edinburgh International Festival: "Sidney Newman, Reid Professor of Music at Edinburgh University". What is the difference from ordinary "professor"? --Igel B TyMaHe (talk) 19:29, 26 July 2012 (UTC) Fat&Happy (talk) 22:53, 26 July 2012 (UTC)

Image of professor[edit]

Come on, guys! It is time that this edit war ceases and a discussion takes place on this talk page.

I'll kick it off. Is there any reason why we can not have two images, three images, or even no images? If two, we could have one of a male professor and one of a female professor? However, I guess having images of two US professors is not a good idea? --Bduke (Discussion) 00:26, 7 February 2013 (UTC)

Why do we need any images at all? Do they add anything? Dbrodbeck (talk) 12:22, 8 February 2013 (UTC)
I agree. Any image of a real person (living or deceased) will of necessity be rather arbitrary. I don't really see what the face of some professor or other adds to this article. At most, a photo of a procession of professors in full regalia (such as many universities have once a year) might be interesting. But none of the pictures that have been the subject of the current edit war add anything to the article, IMHO. --Randykitty (talk) 12:51, 8 February 2013 (UTC)

As a professor, I think that it is important not to rely on a stereotypical picture of a professor i.e. a middle-aged white male, with white hair. There are male and female professors, and from every race and skin colour. I suggest the two options should be no pictures, or at least a mix of professors. I believe the three pictures previously did just that. Geraint_F_Lewis —Preceding undated comment added 02:03, 9 February 2013 (UTC)

I too am a professor. I am 47 and I have white hair (which comes from albinism but that is neither here nor there). Those pics add absolutely nothing. They don't illustrate what I do for a living. A picture of me drinking beer is as useful. The sex, ethnicity or hair colour of the person is not an issue, the issue is do the pics illustrate anything, they don't. Dbrodbeck (talk) 23:48, 14 February 2013 (UTC)

Phenomenon, not word[edit]

Wikipedia articles should be about phenomena and possibly concepts, but not about words. In particular they should not be about foreign words. This is the English wikipedia and therefore this article should be limited to describing the phenomenon that is denoted by the English word "professor". But in many places it strays into trying to clarifying the meaning of non-English words. It should not. --Ettrig (talk) 13:19, 2 August 2013 (UTC)

"Most" American college teachers != Professors[edit]

Corrected the mention in the Lede that Most American college teachers have the title of Professor (or Asst., Assoc. Prof.). It has not been a majority since the 1960s and currently is around 25%.

I want to gain consensus before editing the Tenure section -- having over 2/3 of the prose be about criticisms of tenure does not seem NPOV.

Thanks, -- Michael Scott Cuthbert (talk) 20:14, 15 January 2014 (UTC)


First, Assistant Professor has already been merged and now redirects here; now is the time for Associate Professor. Fgnievinski (talk) 19:34, 15 October 2014 (UTC)

Second, although faculty (academic staff) is a useful distinction from faculty (unit), the former is already discussed in the present article (search for "faculty"), so it should just redirect. Fgnievinski (talk) 14:28, 17 October 2014 (UTC)

Also please note that this article has already grown to include faculty positions other than the various ranks of professors, such as lecturer, etc. Fgnievinski (talk) 14:35, 17 October 2014 (UTC)