Talk:Public holidays in Australia
|WikiProject Australia||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
This list belongs in the Australia article as part of the standard country format. I suggest a merge. I don't think other countries have a separate article for holidays. --Jiang 18:04 12 Jul 2003 (UTC)
- A check of the Holiday article shows that a number of countries have separate articles concerning their national holidays. Keep this separate and expand the article, with a brief article in the main country section. kiwiinapanic 07:54, 8 Feb 2004 (UTC)
- The country articles are supposed to be about important stuff. Cameron is quite right. Tannin 10:43, 8 Feb 2004 (UTC)
Easter Tuesday was only a bank holiday in Tasmania up until 2006 (that is, government departments, banks, the University got the day off, but no-one else did). From 2007 it is a "full" holiday. I can't find any notices or news reports on the change though - just that the official source has quietly updated. Anyone have any more details? -- Chuq 04:52, 4 April 2007 (UTC)
- This doesn't seem to have happened. It remains only a government holiday.--Dacium (talk) 22:35, 14 April 2008 (UTC)
"Australia has ten standard public holidays nationally"
It looks like only nine to me.
For boxing day, is lists the 2 dates that it can be on. Is that not the same for all public holidays that fall on a Sunday? --RobBrisbane 09:16, 17 July 2007 (UTC)
- Its 10. New Years, Australia, Good Friday, Easter Sat, Easter Mond, Anzac Day, Queens Birth, Christmas, Boxing, Labour Day or eqivalent. Its sometimes caled nine because easter saturday never falls on a week day and there is no weekday holiday for it, but its technically a public holiday.--Dacium (talk) 22:35, 14 April 2008 (UTC)
Substitute Holidays in Victoria
Substitute Holidays for Christmas and New Years were restored in 2004 by the current State Government.
See this press release:
http://www.dpc.vic.gov.au/domino/Web_Notes/newmedia.nsf/b0222c68d27626e2ca256c8c001a3d2d/acea1150f2e9b76dca256e38007b5336!OpenDocument —Preceding unsigned comment added by Neb-Maat-Re (talk • contribs) 23:52, 19 February 2008 (UTC)
What is Easter Saturday ?
The wikipedia entry for "Easter Saturday" states it is the Saturday which is 6 days after Easter Sunday. However, in Australia, the day between Good Friday and Easter (Sunday) is always called Easter Saturday.Eregli bob (talk) 08:47, 20 March 2008 (UTC)
- Secularly it is called Easter Saturday, the christian name is Holy Saturday, with easter saturday being the next saturday.--Dacium (talk) 22:35, 14 April 2008 (UTC)
There are some problems i see with article. It claims boxing day for example in QLD is not substituted unless it falls on a sunday. This is totally incorrect. If boxing day is a monday it is subsituated to tuesday. I blieve most of that table is wrong/missleading because the acts have been poorly read/understood. Furthermore, the minister may declar any other public holiday and in modern times the same number is given every year, so when the rules say we don't get one, we usually get it anyway be proclomation.--Dacium (talk) 03:45, 17 November 2008 (UTC)
Same story in NSW. I'd update the table myself if I knew how to
http://www.industrialrelations.nsw.gov.au/About_OIR/Public_Holidays.html —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 09:38, 23 November 2009 (UTC)
Only some states are mentioned in the "Public holidays by state" section.
I think a table of the actual dates for each state for the current/next year would be a great idea!