Talk:Reidsville, North Carolina
|WikiProject United States / North Carolina||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
||It is requested that an image or photograph of Reidsville city be included in this article to improve its quality.
The Free Image Search Tool may be able to locate suitable images on Flickr and other web sites.
Why merge? --Jnelson09 02:12, 23 January 2007 (UTC)
- Penrose Mall is refered to Pennrose Hall by Locals.
- I think that the Pennrose Mall article can stand on its own; it just needs a bit of expansion and some references. TenPoundHammer 14:31, 14 April 2007 (UTC)
Besides being known for its illustrious football history at Reidsville High School, the county school that the town of Reidsville also identifies with is Rockingham County High School. Though not known for its sports history, "The Rock" as known by the residents has had many successful athletic teams including Women's Basketball (State Finals in 2002), wrestling, men's and women's swimming, and baseball (State Champions in 1996). The school has produced many Division I athletes such as:
John Settle (Appalachian State & NFL; football) Josh Gilreath (Liberty; track/football) Dustin Stultz (Elon; baseball) Matt Trent (University of Richmond; baseball) Kalen Kropa (Naval Academy; basketball) Brad Merriman (Campbell; wrestling) Zach Wickline (NC A&T; football) Link to the school's athletic page citing guidelines for participation as well as active varsity sports: 
User: Drumzandspace2000 left a message for me on my talk space saying xe disagreed with my removal of the links. I reviewed them, and still believe that none of them should be included in the article. First, all of the links fail WP:ELNO #1--"Any site that does not provide a unique resource beyond what the article would contain if it became a featured article." But that's really vague, so I'll be more specific.
- Downtown Reidsville Corporation: WP:ELNO #4 & #5: That is a link to a business group that exists to support its members, promote their products, etc., through the framework of a city-management/urban renewal idea.
- Reidsvillechamber.net: Per the first line of the site "NOTICE: This domain name expired on 10/01/2010 and is pending renewal or deletion." It's just a pile of GoDaddy adverts at the moment. If there is a new site, or if this one is renewed, it's somewhat possible that it could be included. Chamber of Commerce websites vary; some provide valuable info, while others are nothing more than a collection of ads. If the site gets fixed/moved, try re-adding and I'll take a look at the new site.
- Live camera view: Completely useless. Nothing in that picture indicates that it has anything to do with Reidsville; even if it was clear, it would still be fail WP:ELNO #7, which forbids links to sites requiring plug-ins--Flash, in this case. Finally, that doesn't even seem to be what it claims to be--it's a static picture, not a live view. I wonder if that site may effectively be a dead link.
- Rockingham County website: Is a general website about the county; as such, it is a valid link on the county's page, but not this city's. The only link I quickly find to Reidsville is to the official city website, which I already kept. If there is some specific info about Reidsville that you think is useful, perhaps we could link to a sub-page, but it depends on what it says.
So, I don't see any reason for keeping any of those links. If you object to my rationale on any of them, please let me know. Please not that it's not only important for a site to fail to meet any WP:ELNO criteria, but it should clearly and directly meet at least one of the WP:ELYES criteria, so if anyone wants to keep one, please explain how that link meets one or more criteria of WP:ELYES. Qwyrxian (talk) 11:49, 4 October 2010 (UTC)
- Downtown Reidsville Corporation: - Perhaps you need to read WP:ELNO #4 & #5:
- 4 Links mainly intended to promote a website. - I don't even know what to say. How did you get this?
- 5 Links to web pages that primarily exist to sell products or services, or to web pages with objectionable amounts of advertising. - I would say that you have taken a very odd view of the link if this is how you see it. Your political/personal feelings towards urban renewal. The link has a listing of events which would could be of interest to readers of the article. I will readd this one unless I hear better reasons then you gave.
- Reidsvillechamber.net - agreed url is dead. I will change it to what looks to be the current one reidsvillechamber.org
- Live camera view - agreed
- Rockingham County Interactive Geographic Information System - not sure what it adds so for the time being without spending all the time to look at it would say leave it off.
- First, an editing hint: don't put any spaces at the beginning of a line. If you want to indent, use one or more colons.
- As for the DRC, take a look at that site again. First, note that this is a corporation. That is an entity formed generally for business purposes. Yes, they're doing it indirectly, but no more so than an advertising or PR company. But look at their main categories of info. "About RDC" gives a little info consistent with any "downtown planning group" or whatever name they use. "Our Shops" is shopping information, with directory info--clearly commercial. "News and Events" is only for invited members--no use to Wikipedia readers. "Events Calendar" I will come back to in a moment. "Available property" is an advertisement for corporate space available for more businesses. "Business Support" is only useful for people who already have businesses in the area. The rest of the links are pdfs for business members. So, basically, we have a bunch of commercial info, and a bunch of information useful only for area business members, and the event information. The reason I saved that for last is that appears to be the best/most useful info of the bunch. But, for Wikipedia purposes, it has no value at all. Wikipedia is not the same as, say Wikitravel, which is designed to be of use to someone visiting a location. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia that collects information of value to people reading and learning about a place. That link doesn't provide any useful information for those people, and WP:EL requires that all links provide such information. We do not exist to help local residents, businesses, or tourists. So please don't re-add the link. If you're still convinced that I'm wrong, please ask at the external links noticeboard, where others with more EL experience will provide additional feedback. Qwyrxian (talk) 12:24, 4 October 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks for the tip first.
- I am goiung to have to assume that you didn't read the Reidsville article and the the DRC site. Take another look at the Downtown Area section and it is clear that the link is good. I will leave it off and let someone else decide to readd it if needed. I however still think you are wrong. Drumzandspace2000 (talk) 13:00, 4 October 2010 (UTC)