Talk:Return of the Jedi
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Return of the Jedi article.|
|Archives: 1, 2, 3|
|Return of the Jedi has been listed as one of the Media and drama good articles under the good article criteria. If you can improve it further, please do so. If it no longer meets these criteria, you can reassess it.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|To-do list for Return of the Jedi:|
|Priority 1 (top)|
- 1 References to use
- 2 Speculation on "threatens"
- 3 Marquand interview
- 4 Running time
- 5 "Jedi" title in the lead section
- 6 Move discussion in progress
- 7 one year after the empire strikes back?
- 8 Article name in lead
- 9 Is there a difference between the running times of the original version, the special edition and the DVD version?
References to use
- Please add to the list references that can be used for the film article.
- Grimes, Caleb; Winship, George (2006). "Episode VI: Return of the Jedi". Star Wars Jesus: A spiritual commentary on the reality of the Force. WinePress Publishing. ISBN 1579218849.
Speculation on "threatens"
The text "Vader discovers that Luke has a sister, and threatens to turn her to the dark side." has been modified (and reverted a few times) to be vague and less precise. To the IP: my selected quote was shortened and I'm surprised you didn't realize that and that you didn't know the preceding text that makes the above statement accurate and clear. "If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will." That's about as clear of a "threatens to turn her to the dark side" as you can get. Check and mate. DP76764 (Talk) 20:26, 29 October 2012 (UTC)
I bookmarked this not too long ago, meaning to integrate with this article, and just haven't yet -- and, with a big move coming up (personal, not article), I suspect this will just languish on my to-do list. So, for those of you keeping a tighter eye on the article, here ya go: http://io9.com/why-return-of-the-jedi-was-the-most-grown-up-star-wars-575749331. --EEMIV (talk) 16:58, 27 June 2013 (UTC)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the infobox should list the first theatrical run. The original runtime is 131:33 according to the BBFC. However, it was reverted with the DVD version, which is unsourced. So, as we should not edit war, I, an uninvolved user, have decided to take this discussion to the talk page. Thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks, Lord Sjones23 (talk - contributions) 21:23, 31 October 2013 (UTC)
"Jedi" title in the lead section
An IP user, 184.108.40.206 has added "(sometimes shortened to Jedi)" in the lead section, but it has no sources yet. In this case, I think we should use only the original title of the film or find sources for the title. Rather than getting involved in an edit war, I am taking this discussion to the talk page. What are your thoughts on the matter? Thanks, Lord Sjones23 (talk - contributions) 01:53, 30 December 2013 (UTC)
- I've never seen it shortened to just "Jedi" in all the Star Wars coverage I've read. I've seen ROTJ but not Jedi. I don't think it warrants inclusion. Erik (talk | contribs) 15:56, 30 December 2013 (UTC)
- Jedi is simply a personalized abbreviated name that the cast, crew, and fans of Star Wars use in colloquial conversation, much like Empire is to The Empire Strikes Back. It's nothing official and frankly, it's not notable to include. Otherwise, every other film article will be subject to include self-proclaimed alternate titles. ~ Jedi94 (talk) 18:10, 30 December 2013 (UTC)
Move discussion in progress
There is a move discussion in progress on Talk:Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope which affects this page. Please participate on that page and not in this talk page section. Thank you. —RMCD bot 19:14, 7 January 2014 (UTC)
one year after the empire strikes back?
at the end of episode V Luke and Lando are plotting to rescue Han from Jabba, I seriously doubt Lando and Chewie would last so long in Jabba's palace that long or plan something so far ahead. More like 3-6 months which would give luke efficient time to recover and continue his training to be prepared to take on Jabba and his gang.
Could the rebels stay hidden as long as 1 year? Any sources that it's one year after episode V? otherwise it's OR isn;t it? — Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 07:56, 13 January 2014 (UTC)
Article name in lead
The consensus at Talk:Star Wars (film)#Requested move was to move this page to Return of the Jedi, not Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. The film itself never used that - it was always Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi if you include the opening crawl. The small Star Wars on the original 1983 poster looks to me like it's identifying the franchise, but is not meant to give Star Wars: Return of the Jedi as the official title. People may debate about that, but again, the film itself always used Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, but the WP:COMMONNAME was Return of the Jedi, and the lead should match the article name. All this is also true with Empire.
Is there a difference between the running times of the original version, the special edition and the DVD version?
The running time of the original version is 132 minutes, while the running time of the special edition is 133 minutes and the running time of the DVD version is 134 minutes. Is there a difference? AdamDeanHall (talk) 16:57, 6 February 2014 (UTC)