|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
The gay material should be removed unless source material can be referenced. And maybe even then -- it's not germane to a summary of Mineo's career. Jumbo 17:01, 1 Sep 2004 (UTC)
I've reworded it. Mineo was (most likely) gay and it could have affected his performance. However, referring to Dean as bisexual is dodgy. Let's see some reliable sources on that (not published hearsay from the 1990s btw), also some documentation that any coaching Dean gave Mineo was related to Dean's sexual preferences, whatever they were. Wyss 4 July 2005 10:36 (UTC)
"If I'd understood back then that a guy could be in love with another one, it would have happened. But I didn't come to that realization for a few more years and then it was too late for Jimmy and me." yea corn beef
Seems out of place with the article or could be defined.188.8.131.52 17:19, 5 October 2005 (UTC)
Yeah, long story, it's an artififact of the James Dean was bi myth. I'm not even too sure about the provenance of this quote. I'm going to remove it and see what happens. Wyss 17:25, 5 October 2005 (UTC)
- There are numerous reliable first-hand sources regarding Dean's bisexuality. Just one recent article by Germaine Greer is a good place to start: 
Overdoing the "Gay" Business
Why does this article have so muany comments on "gay"ness. It verges on the sickening.184.108.40.206 16:40, 15 June 2007 (UTC)Lestrade
OVERDOING the "Gay" Business?? It now appears it's been UNDERDONE to the point that there is NO reference at all to the fact that Sal was gay. His own official web site makes the point that he was probably the first well-known Hollywood personality to come out. RogerInPDX (talk) 23:05, 18 October 2008 (UTC)
- By his own account, he was bisexual, although there is little doubt that in his last years his sexuality was directed almost entirely toward men. - Jmabel | Talk 04:24, 28 July 2010 (UTC)
- But, as RogerInPDX pointed out in October 2008, there is nothing at all in the article proper about his own personal sexuality. There are references to gay themes, but involvement in gay-themed art does not make one gay. He's in LGBT categories, but there's nothing in the article that explicitly supports such categorisation. He came out, so we also have to come right out and say it - he was a homosexual. -- Jack of Oz [your turn] 11:28, 17 June 2011 (UTC)
If anyone is interested in expanding the article...
If anyone is interested in expanding the article and/or improving the citations, Jeffers' biography of Mineo is informative, and a quick read, though it's not a great piece of writing. - Jmabel | Talk 04:26, 28 July 2010 (UTC)
"It has been said thatMineo's body is in a state of suspended animation because his death was so fast, his body still rolls half way up...as if he is trying to get up. And he slurrs out "I'm Okay" and will forever due to the fact that he is in a refrigerated glass room. To those who have seen it, they said it was the most terrifying thing they had ever seen."
Sure - someone is having some fun here.
File:Salmineo.png Nominated for Deletion
|An image used in this article, File:Salmineo.png, has been nominated for deletion at Wikimedia Commons in the following category: Deletion requests September 2011
Don't panic; a discussion will now take place over on Commons about whether to remove the file. This gives you an opportunity to contest the deletion, although please review Commons guidelines before doing so.
Tonka speak with forked tongue
We seem to be using his Tonka role to say two completely contradictory things:
- firstly, as an example of his being "typecast as a troubled teen",
- then later as an example of how he "made an effort to break out of being typecast".
In his appearance on What's My Line? he makes reference to being a drummer and singer as a hobby, but it appears that he was quite successful. This site explains that he had a couple Top 40 hits, and albums he recorded sold over a million copies. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 18:27, 27 September 2013 (UTC)
Hello--Mineo is remembered today primarily because, in his heyday, he was beautiful. There is a plethora of pictures in google images and bing images that testify to this--pictures from the era of Rebel Without a Cause or the Gene Krupa Story. And instead of any of those, you have that picture of him towards the end of his life? Really? That's the best you can do? — Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 18:43, 4 October 2013 (UTC)