- 1 New Community support section
- 2 Added Patents and technology section
- 3 New Edits
- 4 Edits to Intro
- 5 First Updates and Edits Made to Sierra Wireless Article
- 6 Recommending Edits to Sierra Wireless Article
- 7 Obsolete Sierra Wireless logo, SagemCom buy
- 8 Fair use rationale for Image:Sierrtag180x36.jpg
- 9 Changed Cingular to AT&T.
New Community support section
A new section about Sierra's community work has been added to this article. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there are any mistakes or if the citations provided are not enough. Also, please note I have posted a COI statement here: User:Mdrozdowski. Thank you!
Added Patents and technology section
As per discussions with Kilopi, I have gone ahead and added a Patents and technology section to the Sierra Wireless article. Apologies for any errors in formatting - I'm still getting used to the new visual editing system. We did include a reference to the patents that comes a third-party patent reporting site rather than the individual patent offices themselves. If this will not suffice as a reference, please let me know; we are happy to make sure that what we're adding to Sierra's article strictly adheres to Wikipedia's guidelines. Thank you!
- Minor edit to my above edits - I simplified the copy a bit for brevity, and added missing links. Mdrozdowski (talk) 21:08, 11 July 2013 (UTC)
As per discussions about this article, a History section has been added and the product section has been updated. I did leave in the CamelCase for the product names, as that's how they're generally used. If there are any mistakes or errors, I would definitely welcome insight and corrections - any input is very much appreciated. Mdrozdowski (talk) 17:04, 10 May 2013 (UTC)
The corporate logo in the Infobox has been updated to reflect the company's new logo. Sierra Wireless has given their express permission for this logo to be used. I did try to get the non-free use template added; any errors in filling out the template were unintentional. Mdrozdowski (talk) 17:40, 10 May 2013 (UTC)
Edits to Intro
The intro for this article has been updated with new information and references. Please see this sandbox page for additional proposed edit. Please see COI statement here: User:Mdrozdowski. Mdrozdowski (talk) 18:59, 22 April 2013 (UTC)
- I've reverted this. I think it's more neutral to introduce the company by describing their business operations (using verbs like sells, designs, manufactures, etc.) than to extol the virtues of its products (devices connect). It's not offensively promotional, but I don't view it as an improvement over the previous phrasing. This change also removed most of the content pertaining to M&A without explaining why. Kilopi (talk) 08:17, 23 April 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks much for the explanation, Kilopi - very much appreciated. We'll try to ensure that those words don't make it into any other revisions. We do have a number of other suggested edits to the article that are visible in my Sandbox page; would you mind taking a look and seeing if they would be acceptable or suggesting changes to the edits we'd recommended so that we can better adhere to the neutral POV that Wikipedia is looking for?
First Updates and Edits Made to Sierra Wireless Article
The first updates and edits with new information and data have been made. As stated below, I do have a COI statement here: User:Mdrozdowski.
Any errors or mistakes were unintentional, and I'd welcome any input that the Wikipedia editing community would like to offer.
Recommending Edits to Sierra Wireless Article
Hello! My name is Melissa Drozdowski and my firm works with Sierra Wireless; please see my various COI statements here: User:Mdrozdowski. Sierra Wireless has asked us to assist with adding updated and corrected information to their Wikipedia article. As per their request, I have created an updated entry in one of my Sandbox pages, complete with citations and references.
We want to be very clear and transparent about our role in editing here on Wikipedia - we are an organization hired and paid for on a client-vendor basis. We have and continue to do our best to make sure that our COI statements are posted where they can be easily found, and we follow Wikipedia's editing guidelines (including maintaining NPOV at all times and providing as many citations and references as possible) to the best of our ability. Any mistakes made were unintentional and we welcome input and feedback from the Wikipedia editing community.
As mentioned above, we have created an updated Wikipedia article for Sierra Wireless upon their request. This updated article currently only appears in my Sandbox. We would like to request that the updates and additional information shown in the article on my Sandbox page be added to the existing entry. To that end, we'd like to ask that editors of this article please visit my Sandbox to review our proposed changes and let us know if it's okay to implement them to the live article.
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, or provide feedback and/or corrections to my suggested edits. Any and all input from the Wikipedia editing community is warmly welcomed and much appreciated.
Thanks very much,
- Thanks for being transparent about your COI. I have made some comments about your sandbox.
- History: No complaints - this section would improve the article if added as-is. Its inclusion would also justify the removal of some of the history info from the intro that partially motivated my revert.
- Patents: This is based on primary sources. It would be better if based on secondary sources commenting on the number and/or importance of the patents. I wouldn't revert the addition of this section, but others might.
- Customers: This doesn't add much - I don't know what makes a market "select" and would surely hope they have more than one customer. Maybe it would be worth including if there were a quality independent source discussing which "unselect" markets Sierra intentionally ignores, but if its just a partial client list sourced to a press release, I'd leave it out.
- Partnerships: Lacks context. It's easy enough to verify Sierra's membership in these orgs, but so what. I'd prefer the section to be based on independent sources discussing not only the group, but Sierra's specific role within it, or left out. In other words, back up the adjectives claiming that Sierra is an active contributor and that these are key assns.
- Products: This section could be included with light copyediting (MOS:TM). It's already much better than what's there now.
- Awards: Again, lacks context. I'd recommend including only recognitions where: a) it is reported by an independent third-party source that b) says why they earned it, not just that they got it. Kilopi (talk) 18:24, 23 April 2013 (UTC)
Obsolete Sierra Wireless logo, SagemCom buy
Sorry, not very familiar with editing Wiki pages. Just wanted to mention the logo is obsolete. Correct one can be found at http://www.sierrawireless.com/
Also, there is no mention of aquisition of SagemCom in June 2012. Article here: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/06/18/sierrawireless-sagemcom-idUKL1E8HI8MV20120618 — Preceding unsigned comment added by AndyKort (talk • contribs) 14:07, 4 April 2013 (UTC)
Fair use rationale for Image:Sierrtag180x36.jpg
Image:Sierrtag180x36.jpg is being used on this article. I notice the image page specifies that the image is being used under fair use but there is no explanation or rationale as to why its use in this Wikipedia article constitutes fair use. In addition to the boilerplate fair use template, you must also write out on the image description page a specific explanation or rationale for why using this image in each article is consistent with fair use.
Please go to the image description page and edit it to include a fair use rationale. Using one of the templates at Wikipedia:Fair use rationale guideline is an easy way to insure that your image is in compliance with Wikipedia policy, but remember that you must complete the template. Do not simply insert a blank template on an image page.
If there is other fair use media, consider checking that you have specified the fair use rationale on the other images used on this page. Note that any fair use images lacking such an explanation can be deleted one week after being tagged, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you.
Changed Cingular to AT&T.
It's been a while now since Cingular has become AT&T however, I don't know if there's any point in listing any specific companies as examples instead of simply linking to OEM Everett3 (talk) 07:43, 24 January 2009 (UTC)