Talk:Spherical cap

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Proposed merger[edit]

Spherical cap and Dome (mathematics) are the same mathematical object. The two pages should be merged. Unfortunately they use different notation. Spherical cap seems currently to be the better article and probably has the better name. -Ian Jackson 18 Oct 2011

I absolutely agree with Mr. Jackson. The Spherical Cap discussion has a diagram (!) which makes it easier to relate the cap to the sphere. Joe Smart 16 Dec 2011 — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 02:27, 16 December 2011 (UTC)

I have concerns about this suggestion. It depends on the indexing. I approached the problem looking for "spherical cap", and found what I was looking for. However, had I been looking for information on the volume of a dome, I would not have thought of using the term "spherical cap" (nor vice versa). The equations are different in approach, too. If the two can be combined without truncation (and the result would be some duplication), and if both terms can be found in a search, then combine. But simpler to leave as is.