Talk:TV aerial plug

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Electronics (Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is part of WikiProject Electronics, an attempt to provide a standard approach to writing articles about electronics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, you can choose to edit the article attached to this page, or visit the project page, where you can join the project and see a list of open tasks. Leave messages at the project talk page
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.
WikiProject Computing / Hardware (Rated Start-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Computing, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of computers, computing, and information technology on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by Computer hardware task force (marked as Mid-importance).

Are there any F connector to TV Aerial Plug converters in existence?[edit]

Yes, additionally they can be made. However, the only real use is to use a north american TV with European antennae or vice versa, or rarely to connect a Hyperband analogue cable system direct to a supporting TV rather than the decoder box. --Kiand 22:52, 31 January 2006 (UTC)
Additionally some installers only use belling lee connectors when they absoloutely have to and use F everywhere else (especially with the advent of digital terrestrial TV) If you need a lead with a F connector on one end and a belling lee the other get some decent coax (which you should be using for your installation anyway) and make one. Plugwash 10:54, 28 May 2006 (UTC)
Yes Maplin do them. Part Number QP41U. Other permutations of sexes also available from them. --jmb 20:01, 1 July 2006 (UTC)
They are of course useful in the UK. I have a couple that I use with a antenna preamplifier to feed the tuner in my computer away from home. Sure there must be plenty of other uses. --jmb 20:05, 1 July 2006 (UTC)

Move to "TV aerial plug"[edit]

It has been suggested that this page be moved from "TV Aerial Plug" to "TV aerial plug" (the correct Wiki case for subsequent words).

  • Support -- This is the standard Wiki style. Atlant 20:24, 29 May 2006 (UTC)
  • Support -- Ditto. --Hooperbloob 02:28, 3 June 2006 (UTC)
  • Object -- One could argue that this is not a page about TV aerial plugs in general (in which case the case would indeed be wrong here), but one specifically about the "Belling-Lee connector", which is also known in Britain not just as a "TV aerial plug" but as the "TV Aerial Plug". In other words, "TV Aerial Plug" could be seen as a proper noun (name) here and not a normal nominal phrase, and hence would be correctly capitalized according to Wikipedia sentence case housestyle. However, if you want to rename the article, I would suggest to rename it to either "Belling-Lee TV aerial connector" or "IEC 169-2 TV aerial connector", which are both much less ambiguous in a global context and therefore more appropriate terminology in an encyclopedia entry. Ambiguous colloquialisms such as "TV Aerial Plug" should not determine the title, IMHO. Also note that the wider term "connector" is more fitting than "plug" for an article that describes the entire connector system, consisting of both a plug and a jack. Markus Kuhn 12:03, 3 June 2006 (UTC)
  • Object -- As written above, this is not about TV aerial plugs in general but one specific type which is often just called a TV Aerial Plug. --jmb 19:55, 1 July 2006 (UTC)

Miniature Belling-Lee connector?[edit]

The term "Miniature Belling Lee" added by User:Jmb on 20 August 2006 to the article occurs according to Google all over the Internet only in this article. Are you sure this is the right name for what you want to describe and can you please provide some reference or at least a photo that gives us any idea what you might mean? When was it introduced, who uses it, is there a standard defining it? At least a catalog link to a manufacturer? Markus Kuhn 10:03, 11 February 2007 (UTC)

I have only ever heard them referred to as "miniature Belling Lee" but they could well have another name. They were used in equipment made perhaps in the 1960s as I wrote previously for internal links. I have not been able to find one in any of my junk boxes or I would have taken a photograph. I will have another look around tomorrow. --jmb 19:08, 11 February 2007 (UTC)
I believe they are also used inside some PMR radio equipment (including STC AF101), I will get some pictures in a few months time. --jmb 09:56, 21 February 2007 (UTC)
I have added a picture of a Miniature Belling Lee connector. I have used the term "Standard Belling Lee" in that section because it is being used to contrast with the name "Miniature Belling Lee", "IEC 169-2" would be out of place in this context. --jmb 14:02, 13 May 2007 (UTC)
I don't know if it's exactly the same, but from the photograph it looks very like the connector I have on the end of a couple of USB Freeview tuners, which are supplied with adapters that are a standard Belling-Lee socket to a miniature plug. That might be an avenue to explore for finding out their proper name...? --Peet42 23:46, 21 Nov 2010 (UTC) —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk)

PAL Connector[edit]

Where is the term "PAL Connector" used? I have never heard it in the UK. --jmb 09:54, 21 February 2007 (UTC)

Never heared it before but it sounds like the kind of thing that would be come up with by someone trying to explain european TV wiring to americans. Plugwash 00:28, 22 February 2007 (UTC)
Google knows only about 535 occurrences of the term "PAL connector" [1], compared to about 35500 occurrences of "IEC 169-2". So it exists, but is rather obscure and certainly technically objectionable (the connector shape has nothing to do with the way color information is encoded). I have no quarrels if we remove it again. Markus Kuhn 11:28, 22 February 2007 (UTC)

Why only Belling-Lee?[edit]

In the U.K. we use RF connectors as “TV aeriel plugs”, so the designation of “Europe” for the use of B-L connectors is too general. But the more important thing is why isn’t the main article a general one saying what the function of a plug is, then stating that there are two main types F connectors and B-L, and then either directing to their own articles or explaining below? It seems lame to have the aerial plug heading, and then a statement that this is about a specific type of such, and that if you want to know about the more common one go someplace else.Jock123 (talk) 11:49, 10 November 2009 (UTC)

Impedance of IEC connector[edit]

The article states that IEC connectors have an impedance of 50 Ohm and that this causes reflections because the impedance of coaxial cable is 75 Ohm. This is not correct. The impedance obviously does not (fully) depend on the type of connector, and the most commonly used IEC connectors for TV and radio have an impedance of 75 Ohm.

I am not sure where this comes from, but I think the author confused IEC connectors with BNC connectors or something? 50 Ohm BNC connectors do exist (and are being used for 50 Ohm equipment and cable).

Also when I google for "50 Ohm IEC connector" the only article that I find that talks about IEC TV plugs is this wikipedia article.... — Preceding unsigned comment added by Paulmathot (talkcontribs) 12:15, 10 June 2011 (UTC)

Belling-Lee and F-connector use throughout the world[edit]

Are Belling-Lee connectors used elsewhere other than Europe? And how about house cable outlets and TV sets in countries where B-L is in use: Do they use B-L connectors exclusively, or do they have both, a B-L and and an F connector, so that you can choose which one to use? — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 19:51, 6 April 2013 (UTC)

It would be unusual to put two coax outlets for the same thing at the same location unless there were two devices to feed because splitters lose signal and splitters with unused outlets are especially problematic. The norm in the UK is to use belling lee connectors for TV and FM outlets and to use F connectors for sattelite and cable outlets but I have seen cases where a F connector was used for a TV outlet and sometimes people don't bother with outlets and just have a length of cable coming out of the wall/floor that is plugged into the TV. I don't have any personal experiance with the rest of the world but i'd imagine their conventions are influenced by whose system they adopted for TV equipment. Plugwash (talk) 20:25, 6 April 2013 (UTC)
That's very useful information. Thanks. How about the TV sets? Do they standardize on the F or the B-L connector? And then I am assuming that F-to-Belling-Lee adapters would be commonplace to be able to accept either input, correct? — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 17:14, 8 April 2013 (UTC)

Australia uses Belling-Lee connectors more commonly called PAL plugs for television and video equipment and use F connectors for satellite and cable outlets. Mirrabooka (talk) — Preceding undated comment added 13:56, 21 May 2014 (UTC)