Talk:The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Could someone who knows something about this page please clean it up? Someone's been adding contextless names and stuff which really harm the article. Encyclopedia articles are meant to explain things, not make them more confusing. I'll probably end up removing large parts if no one addresses this. -R. fiend 04:47, 23 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- Coz a vote reject to split the articles with much small parts, so it is impossible to clean it up effectively. -- Yaohua2000 28 June 2005 15:18 (UTC)
- Please note than when writing for the English wikipedia, it is usually advantageous to know English. -R. fiend 28 June 2005 16:56 (UTC)
Clean up, clean up, clean up, clean up. I urge the writers of some parts of this article to visit the local library and read an encyclopedia, any encyclopedia, to acquaint themselves with the writing style. Listing titles, character names, longish plot detail are not encyclopedic. How much of this fancruft is drifting around Wikipedia? 22.214.171.124 21:08, 20 September 2005 (UTC)
The Five Flags of the Ming Cult have nothing to do with the Five Separists. The Five Flags are troops of the cult based on the Five Elements. 126.96.36.199 10:40, 11 April 2006 (UTC)
Whilst fans of Jinyong's novels will understand the contents of this page, it will be a total mystery to the casual reader trying to find some information on the novel. Therefore the following changes are planned:
- Addition of Chinese characters to English-translated names.
- Adding context and substance to the plot.
- Expand on the characters
- (perhaps) establishing sub-pages devoted to the major characters, the Ming Cult (the current page is concerned with the real religious movement Manichaeism, which doesn't really add context to the novel.)
Also, an issue to be debated: is it useful to separate the characters into protagonists and antagonists? I don't necessarily agree that Meijue is an antagonist, or Zhou Zhiruo is a protagonist.--Alexio 02:26, 7 August 2006 (UTC)
Name is plainly wrong
In my view, the most pressing problem is that the name of the article is wrong. If I remember correctly, the correct name should be Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre instead. Can anyone with access to (official copies of) the novel kindly check? (I am unable to do so at present.) Following that, someone who knows how to change the article title, as well as ALL the incorrect forms of the name throughout wikipedia, will have to be altruistic and do all the necessary modifications. Thanks188.8.131.52 08:39, 14 September 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks Skyfiler!184.108.40.206 13:05, 14 September 2006 (UTC)
- "The heavenly sword and the dragon sabre" is what written at the back of my book. (遠流 2005) Freescoring 21:07, 19 December 2006 (UTC)
- Having it spelled as saber is really bugging me, can we have a poll to see if we can have a consensus to have it changed to sabre.KTo288 00:47, 29 August 2007 (UTC)
- I changed the literal translation. 倚天 means relying on heaven; 屠龙 (to) slay a dragon; and 记 means records or annals. literally translated 倚天屠龙记 means The Annals of Relying on Heaven to Slay the Dragon or Tales of Relying on Heaven to Slay the Dragon. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 08:21, 14 April 2007 (UTC).
- I just changed the literal translation, before I noticed this talk page. If we are translating literally, it seems wrong to add in words that aren't in the original title. 倚天 and 屠龙 can be translated as names ("Heaven-Reliant" and "Dragon Slayer"), but the words 剑 ("sword") and 刀 ("sabre") don't actually appear in the title of the book. Whilst adding them in does make it a little bit easier to understand, that's not really the purpose of providing a "literal" translation in my opinion.