Talk:The Young and the Restless
|Jabot Cosmetics (The Young and the Restless) was nominated for deletion. The debate was closed on 16 November 2009 with a consensus to merge. Its contents were merged into The Young and the Restless. The original page is now a redirect to here. For the contribution history and old versions of the redirected article, please see its history; for its talk page, see here.|
|Fenmore's Department Stores was nominated for deletion. The debate was closed on 04 December 2008 with a consensus to merge. Its contents were merged into The Young and the Restless. The original page is now a redirect to here. For the contribution history and old versions of the redirected article, please see its history; for its talk page, see here.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|A fact from this article was featured on Wikipedia's Main Page in the On this day... section on March 26, 2005, March 26, 2006, March 26, 2008, and March 26, 2013.|
- 1 Cast List Revert
- 2 Christel Khalil
- 3 Comings and Goings (cast)
- 4 Young and the Restless Clothes
- 5 Kay kissing Joann Curtis
- 6 The Brooks and Fosters
- 7 Crossover Section
- 8 Deleted article
- 9 Behind The Scenes
- 10 History
- 11 Why
- 12 Corrected spelling
- 13 Plagiarism
- 14 Schedule
- 15 Sierra Hoffman
- 16 Senior Cast Members
- 17 Name
- 18 Contract Cast
- 19 Split?
- 20 where is it filmed
- 21 Taping style
- 22 Restless Style
- 23 Article Size
- 24 Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Todd_Williams_(The_Young_and_the_Restless)
- 25 Timeslot move
- 26 Comings and goings/Upcoming cast members
- 27 Removing current, recurring, and upcoming cast members lists
- 28 Billy Miller link
- 29 Orphaned references in The Young and the Restless
- 30 Sources
- 31 Vocal performances of the theme song during episodes
- 32 ratings: record low
Cast List Revert
I've reverted the addition of the standard cast list, like on the other soap articles, because not only are most of the actors linked already, their descriptions are much more in-depth than any list can provide. Mike H 04:26, Jan 29, 2005 (UTC)
- Do not keep adding the standard cast list, or I will lock the article until the anon IP discusses his changes. Mike H 03:24, Jun 17, 2005 (UTC)
Should Christel Khalil listing as Lily Winters (#1) be changed to Lily Winters (#1,#3) because technically she is the 1st and 3rd actress to portray her. Davetta Sherwood played Lily for a short while and would therefore be #2, so the next actress would be #3. My reasoning is the same as President Cleveland being 22 and 24. Just a thought, any comment? Curtbash (talk) 23:44, 30 July 2008 (UTC)
Comings and Goings (cast)
Young and the Restless Clothes
Is there a website that sells the clothes that are worn by the characters on Y&R? Leo Collin 19:52, 4 January 2006 (UTC)
Kay kissing Joann Curtis
I don't believe this, basically because of the big fanfare surrounding Bianca's kiss on All My Children. Can anyone give me evidence that Kay actually KISSED Joann? I've heard of the homosexual subtext but I thought it was just that. Mike H 23:42, Feb 25, 2005 (UTC)
- I read it in the Soap Opera Encyclopedia, by the late Christopher Schmering. --JamesB3 10:52, 1 Mar 2005 (UTC)
Katherine Chancellor did NOT kiss Joann Curtis...that was supposed to happen but William J Bell did not carry it through due to the negative reaction the affiliate stations complained of.
The Brooks and Fosters
Should we add the Brooks and Fosters to the list of longtime characters? Zzyzx11 19:22, 26 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- I don't know. Only a few of them I would consider meriting a mention as they are not really felt on the serial today. I'd go for the Foster family (mainly Liz and Jill) over the Brooks family, and if we do mention a Brooks member, it'd be Lorie since she came back in 2002. Mike H 07:20, Mar 27, 2005 (UTC)
- Maybe not after all. Jill is listed under the Abbotts. And if I do add Liz and Lorie, I'll probably only repeat what is already in the first paragraph of the history section. Zzyzx11 03:13, 28 Mar 2005 (UTC)
Behind The Scenes
I combined Production & Writing into YR: Behind The Scenes to make more room on the Y&R page.
I've broken up the history section into sub sections such as early years, revamp, minority characters etc to make it more readable. Dippit 08:54, 25 November 2006 (UTC)
Do Sherman Augustus redirect here?
I have corrected the spelling of Ted Shackelford in several places both in this article and in other related Y&R articles. Please be sure you are spelling his name correctly. Dbart 18:17, 20 January 2007 (UTC)
I just noticed that the entire "Show History" section was copied from the official Y&R site. Needs to be rewritten. Kogsquinge 05:21, 22 January 2007 (UTC)
SoapCentral doesn't always have the most up to date list. Asia Smith as Sierra Hoffman hasn't been seen in over a year and is no longer part of the cast. 18.104.22.168 20:29, 20 May 2007 (UTC)
Senior Cast Members
This list is most definitely valid. It says "Senior" not "Original" so there is absolutely no reason to delete it, rather it serves as an easy reference for those interested in who has been on the show the longest.
- I completely agree. Jeanne Cooper may not have been on the very first episode (hey, neither was Susan Lucci on AMC) but she was introduced the first year and is definitely the "senior" cast member of the show.The Invisible Man 18:08, 4 April 2007 (UTC)
Does the show ever just get called Young and Restless? Because I'd like to make that article (which currently redirects here) an actual article about something else (a band), and know to know if I shuold make it a disambig, or just use that article name. -- Chuq 09:29, 18 March 2007 (UTC)
If Y&R is referred to as 'young and restless' that is simply an error by the writer or speaker. It is either referred to as 'The Young and the Restless' or 'Y&R'.
Has anyone else noticed that in the Credits Nia Peeples is listed with the contract cast members. Should she be removed from recurring to contract. 03:43, 31 May 2007 (UTC)
Has anyone noticed that Lauralee Bell - aka Christine Blair is just... MISSING ??? Hell - this might sound if within the X- files custing...the name Maulder or Scully was equally NON EXISTENT !!! —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 16:01, 6 January 2010 (UTC)
This article is over 50 kilobytes long, exceeding Wikipedia's recommended article size. Therefore, it should be split or rewritten, possibly modeling it after something like the EastEnders article. Zzyzx11 (Talk) 15:05, 5 May 2007 (UTC)
- In fact, I might want to also use some ideas from the new version of Days of our Lives. See Talk:Days of our Lives#Days Page New Look. Zzyzx11 (Talk) 23:05, 9 June 2007 (UTC)
where is it filmed
Is it filmed in NYC or LA? Arthurian Legend 02:12, 13 August 2007 (UTC)
Intersting bit needs further clarification:
When the show began as 30 minutes in 1973, it was shot in what is referred to as "Live To Tape", meaning it was basically like a stage play that was filmed, with actors freezing in place during the "Black Space" where commercials would later be inserted by the network and affiliates. Later, after the show went to 60 minutes in February of 1980, the taping style changed, and it was shot scene by scene, and edited, with which the format stands to this day.
This is interesting but needs to be better clarified. Practically all daytime soaps, and UK and Australian soaps, have their individual scenes taped live to tape (switched in the studio). These scenes are then compiled into the proper order for broadcast. So does the above paragraph mean that the entire Y&R episode was done 'live to tape'? In that case, did they switch back and forth between different locations through a segment of an episode? Does the above mean that each episode was taped in sequence and that only after the switch to 60 minutes did the more usual out-of-sequence taping style come in? Format (talk) 06:51, 16 February 2008 (UTC)
i was wondering if someone would make a page about restless style the magazine has a website restlessstyle.com and alsoadd his link to this page connecting the two?? if anyone is interested you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and i will give you the full rundown of restless style and what to put on the page thank you —Preceding unsigned comment added by Commie man dude (talk • contribs) 17:01, 18 July 2008 (UTC)
The page is 58 kilobytes long, which is too much for any Wikipedia article, and it is strongly recommended that the article needs to be divided. Up to a few weeks ago, the article still had a reasonable amount of size until a poster started constantly adding "Crossovers" to the site, even though the "Crossovers" have been featured for months on the "Cast" article about Y&R.
Here are the rules: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Article_size#A_rule_of_thumb
Why can't we remove the crossovers thing? It makes the article unnecessarily too long and it doesn't make much impact if it's featured on a different site. What do the others think? Dmarex (talk) 17:25, 26 July 2008 (UTC)
- It clearly says "rule of thumb". This is not a rule. It's a guideline. I'm not debating the merit of the length of this article, but you shouldn't purport that it is "too much for any Wikipedia article". It is "a bit long" for a wikipedia article. But there is no rule for definative lengths. TheHYPO (talk) 21:19, 25 June 2009 (UTC)
I have deleted the paragraph citing Y&R's move to 3pm. Not sure where the poster got their information, but that is NOT happening. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Cosmo2006 (talk • contribs) 16:04, 5 September 2009 (UTC) Cosmo2006 (talk) 16:07, 5 September 2009 (UTC)
Comings and goings/Upcoming cast members
Since there seems to be a lot of back and forth editing on whether this section should be in the article and what it should be called, I've started this discussion on it so we can come to a consensus.
As for myself, I don't care if this section exists or not, but if it does, it needs reliable sources, not fansite sources like Daytime Confidential, Soap Central, etc.
Only the 'comings' need their own section. If an actor is leaving it is cited in the "Current cast members" section (ie. Eric Braeden, Victor Newman, 1980-2009). Exact dates of the actor's last appearance will be in the individual actor/character's articles. Kogsquinge (talk) 06:15, 23 October 2009 (UTC)
- Thanks for sharing your opinions, is there anyone else who agrees or disagrees? Rocksey (talk) 18:39, 23 October 2009 (UTC)
Removing current, recurring, and upcoming cast members lists
I propose we remove the lists of current, recurring, and upcoming cast members from this article. Those are the sections that "fans" keep editing the most and the information there seems so trivial. I would even consider it as something akin to WP: Recentism. Constantly updating and tweeking those lists is definitely a case of "editing without a long-term, historical view". The lists change regularly based on the continuous casting changes within this series. Some things like casting changes that seem important right now might not be that notable in the future and based on the continuous updating of those sections, the changes probably won't be in the article for very long.
Instead of having these lists, I suggest we link to List of The Young and the Restless cast members and possibly to List of The Young and the Restless characters. Those lists contain the exact same information as the ones in this article except it's presented in a way that includes a wider scope of material.
- Since it's been over a week and no one voiced any objections, I'll go ahead and remove the sections. Rocksey (talk) 21:09, 10 January 2010 (UTC)
- It's basically your choice, but I feel as if there's something missing on the article. I would never search through those entire lists just to find out which are the current actors. But that's just me, so it doesn't really matter. Will you remove all other lists from other soaps as well? And also, please don't think that this is an attack or something, I am amazed at the amount of work you do on this site. Good work! I'm just a bit confused on this stuff. Dmarex (talk) 00:11, 11 January 2010 (UTC)
- I didn't take this as an attack:) We can disagree. And this isn't just my choice. That's why I started this discussion, so we can come to a consensus on this. But when no one else responded, I just decided to go ahead and remove it.
- Thanks for at least engaging in discussion about this. I'm just not sure that's a strong argument. Not every article on a TV show has a current cast list. Just look at GA status article on the British soap opera EastEnders. By highlighting the actors who "currently" appear on the show, that's giving unjust notability to actors/characters just because they are current. That's not encyclopedic, in my opinion. If this was a fansite, that would be expected, but we should be looking at this with a longterm view, not a short term. The list is also not accurate. What if I'm watching an episode from the 1970s or the 1980s or the 1990s or from two months ago? The supposedly "current list" wouldn't be accurate for that particular cast. There are actors/characters from earlier years who are much more notable to the series as a whole then ones that just happen to be considered "current." Should we include every single actor that has ever appeared on the series within this article? The answer to that question would be no, because we have List of The Young and the Restless cast members for that. Rocksey (talk) 06:08, 25 January 2010 (UTC)
The link for Billy Miller directs to an incorrect person. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and didn't want to try in case I messed something up!! —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 04:26, 8 January 2010 (UTC)
Orphaned references in The Young and the Restless
I check pages listed in Category:Pages with incorrect ref formatting to try to fix reference errors. One of the things I do is look for content for orphaned references in wikilinked articles. I have found content for some of The Young and the Restless's orphans, the problem is that I found more than one version. I can't determine which (if any) is correct for this article, so I am asking for a sentient editor to look it over and copy the correct ref content into this article.
Reference named "soapoperadigest.com":
- From J.T. Hellstrom and Colleen Carlton: "Soap Opera Digest Thad Luckinbill Bio". Soap Opera Digest. Retrieved 2009-03-24.
- From All My Children: Di Lauro, Janet. "Supercouples: A Relic From the '80s or Still Alive and Kissing?". soapoperadigest.com. Retrieved 2007-09-06.
- From Lily Winters: "Christel Khalil Star Stats". Soap Opera Digest. Retrieved 2009-04-30.
- From Patty Williams: Rabinowitz, Naomi. "Jack Of All Babes". Soap Opera Digest. Retrieved 2009-06-16.
- From Adam Wilson (The Young and the Restless): "Soap Star Stats:Chris Engen (Adam/Victor Jr., Y&R)". SoapOperaDigest.com. Retrieved July 9, 2009.
I apologize if any of the above are effectively identical; I am just a simple computer program, so I can't determine whether minor differences are significant or not. AnomieBOT⚡ 11:42, 23 January 2010 (UTC)
Can anyone help fix up this article and find references for the unsourced information? The sections "Executive producing and head writing team", "Awards", "Broadcast history", "Theme song and other music", "Title sequence", and "Ratings" have few or no sources. I'm thinking about removing the unsupported content and merging/deleting sections. Rocksey (talk) 16:48, 11 June 2010 (UTC)
Vocal performances of the theme song during episodes
I find it strange that it is not mentioned in the article (or the main article to the song) that at least twice, the song was performed vocally with lyrics by the character of Gina Romalotti during the show. There's a clip on youtube from the early 80s with her singing it during an episode, and she also performed it again in her restaurant during an episode in the mid 90s. I would think it bears mention in the paragraph of the theme song. If someone has more information about it they could add it`Dollvalley (talk) 02:55, 16 March 2011 (UTC)
- Is there a legitimate source (not YouTube) that discusses this? Rocksey (talk) 22:50, 17 March 2011 (UTC)
- My goodness I recall seeing a scene of Gina singing lyrics to the theme tune, with Kevin Bancroft there in tears over his breakup with Nicky Reed. It isn't really something that really needs a reference - it clearly happened in a broadcast episode - though it might be argued that it isn't very notable. Format (talk) 07:23, 18 March 2011 (UTC)