There's no mathematical definition of the tolerance interval here. The article even goes on to give the formulas for the prediction interval and confidence interval. Bukzor (talk) 07:38, 19 February 2013 (UTC)
Evaluation of measurement data – Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement JCGM 100:2008 (GUM 1995 with minor corrections) from BIPM states on page 44:
- "statistical coverage interval: [...]
- NOTE 2 Also called “statistical tolerance interval”. This term should not be used because it may cause confusion with “tolerance interval” which is defined in ISO 3534-2:1993.
- [ISO 3534-1:1993, definition 2.61]"
What are the accepted definitions of “tolerance interval” and “statistical tolerance interval”?
- Perhaps answered by this statement:
- Not related to engineering tolerances
- Statistical tolerance intervals have a probabilistic interpretation. Engineering tolerances are specified outer limits of acceptability which are usually prescribed by a design engineer and do not necessarily reflect a characteristic of the actual measurements.
- from NIST
- —DIV (126.96.36.199 (talk) 08:01, 12 March 2011 (UTC))