|WikiProject Chile||(Rated C-class, High-importance)|
|A request has been made for this article to be copyedited by the League of Copyeditors. Please add the code:
to the bottom of the requests page, replacing articletype by the classification of this article.
|A fact from this article was featured on Wikipedia's Main Page in the On this day... section on May 22, 2005 and May 22, 2006.|
- 1 Improve the article
- 2 Incorrect Coordinates
- 3 Removed info
- 4 Merger proposed (Esmeralda Avenue)
- 5 Requested move
Improve the article
Are you from Valdivia or are you interested in the city? Well, I have done a list of the most needed improvements so that the article can meet the Good article criteria .
- 1 Citations and sources - try to find sources for the information that is in the article
- 2 Spelling and grammar - some sentences sounds very strange, maybe you could help
- 3 Organize information - some information is repeated in different sections it can be unnesesary
- 4 Expand article - I see it as the less nessesary improvement, but it is still the most attractive work
In the Valdivia, Chile article i feel that some information is unneserarily repeated becuse Im not sure in whitch section it should be. I dont mean that all informetion can only be said once, I just want to make the article nice to read and keep everything on its topic. Maybe some of the sections of the article is unnesesary. It would be useful to have your opinion about:
- The economy section vs the last part of recent history - in whitch section should the recent history of the economy be?
- The economy section vs the last part of Independence and growt - in whitch section should tourism be?
- Prehispanic times vs Independe and growth - a cite of Charles Darwin is repeated because it is important to contrast his description of the landskape with early Spaniars one, but in whicht section should this comparison be made?
- Independence and growt vs German influences vs Education - Information about the German school apears in each of these sections.
- Independence and growt vs German influences - where goes the limit between culture and history, the things that are said in the history section could be said under German influnces and viceversa.
- Government and politics vs Ecological action - The CELCO case is named in both parts.
- Government and politics vs Culture vs Great Chilean Earthquake and Valdivia in Los Lagos Region - Where should the information about the creation of Los Ríos Region be placed? Dentren | Talk 09:12, 18 August 2007 (UTC)
- Feel free to do all the modifications that you consider are necessary. You would try to avoid, or reduce to the minimum, repeated or similar information, either within the same article or repeated in other Valdivia-related articles. For example, the external links to the pages of the faculties of the Universidad Austral would be eliminated from the Valdivia article. I think also that it is necessary to unwikify the article. There are many repeated wikilinks and redlinks to non-notable articles.
- Notice that the issue of the references follows being the major weakness of the article. Jespinos 21:12, 21 August 2007 (UTC)
The last part of the colonial history needs to be rewrited. As is is now it should better be placed in the article about Río Bueno. But it is important to show the slow process of expansion from Valdivia that led to the founding of Osorno, La union and Rio Bueno and culminated in expedition to Araucanía during the Pacification of the Araucanía. Dentren | Talk 10:36, 8 September 2007 (UTC)
The coordinates on this page for the location of Valdivia are completely incorrect. They're actually the coordinates for Brasilia, Brazil, and I apologize but I don't know how to find the actual coordinates to edit the page with. Os-osiris 13:58, 15 September 2007 (UTC)
I removed this because its not enterly about Valdivia. Some parts can instead be included in the articles of La Unión, Chile and Río Bueno, Chile or City of the Caesars.Dentren | Talk 09:18, 8 October 2007 (UTC)
Since the 16th century there had been roumours about a fabulous city called Trapananda, Lin Lin or City of the Caesars (Spanish: Ciudad de los Césares) that was situated in the unexplored lands of Patagonia. Ignacio Pinuer, comisary of the Valdivian territory, sent the Spanish king a document with stories about this city (or cities). The Consejo de Indias that ruled America in the name of Spanish king ordered to investigate the rumour. In 1774 the General Captain of Chile, Agustín de Jáuregui received the orders and Joaquín de Espinoza y Dávalos, the governor of Valdivia had to organize an expedition. 80 soldiers and the Franciscan chaplain Francisco de Arique left Valdivia under command of Ignacio Pinuer. The expedition headed south to the Llanos (plains) and came to the place of Río Bueno in 1777. Fearing a Huilliche attack the expedition established contact with the local chief Juan Queipul, who allowed them to establish a mission and a fort. In 1792 Ambrosio O'Higgins ordered the repopulation of ruins of Osorno. To secure supplies and communications to Osorno from Valdivia a fort was established in Río Bueno in 1795. The city of Osorno became officially repopulated in 1796.
Museums and landmarks
Notable colonial landmarks
- Los Torreones (Spanish: The Towers) are two towers built once in what was the outskirts of Valdivia to protect the city against land attacks. The towers are now a local landmark and are used as logo by the local newspaper Diario Austral de Valdivia.
- Niebla fort faces Corral Fort and lies at the northern entrance of Valdivia River. The fort was ungoing an enlargement when works stopped in 1810. In 1834, when controlled by Chile it worked as deposit for the whole system. Now the fort is a museum.
- Corral fort at the southern side of Corral Bay was the headquarters of the coastal defences. It was built in 1645 by order of the viceroy Pedro Álvarez de Toledo y Leiva. Each summer there is representation of the Battle of Corral in Corral Fort.
- Isla Mancera fort lies between Niebla and Corral. Due to its strategical location, several times the city of Valdivia was proposed to be moved into the small Mancera Island - a proposal Valdivia's citizens opposed.
- San Luis de Alba fort is located in the shores Cruces River north of Valdivia. It was built to secure the land way (Camino Real) to Valdivia, that on that place went by the river.
Notable German landmarks
- Casa Prochelle
- Hotel Schuster, a recently modernized and restored German-style hotel where Centro de Estudios Científicos del Sur (CECS) is housed.
Other museums and landmarks
- Museo de Arte Contemporanéa (MAC), a contemporary arts museum located in Isla Teja.
- Museo Histórico y Antropológico Mauricio van de Maele, a historic and anthropologic museum.
- Museo de la Cerveza, a small exposition about beer production in Kunstmanns Beer restaurant.