|Visakhapatnam has been listed as a level-4 vital article in Geography. If you can improve it, please do. This article has been rated as C-Class.|
|WikiProject India / Andhra Pradesh / Cities||(Rated C-class, Mid-importance)|
|WikiProject Guild of Copy Editors|
|Material from the associated project or article page was split to Economy of Visakhapatnam on 07:29, May 3, 2014. The page history of the associated project or article page now serves as the attribution history for part of the contents of that page.|
- 1 Untitled
- 2 health
- 3 Vizag Video??
- 4 Colleges
- 5 Population?
- 6 Schools have been removed
- 7 Hospitals' list cleaned up
- 8 Population figures?
- 9 Tourism
- 10 Cleanup
- 11 File:Vizagbeach.jpg may be deleted
- 12 Vizag Group?
- 13 Content for removal
- 14 Spelling mistake in the caption of an image
- 15 Notable residents
- 16 File:Visakhapatnam Central near by the office of 'The Commissioner of Police',Vizag..jpg Nominated for Deletion
- 17 Vishakhapatnam
- 18 "This article has comments here."
- 19 Copyright problem removed
- 20 Education
- 21 Introduction
- 22 Lead
- 23 Montage pic
Chaitu 06:07, 5 August 2011 (UTC) Much work to be done. Please avoid speculative writing such as real estate prices and Telangana. Chaitu 06:07, 5 August 2011 (UTC) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Cchaitu (talk • contribs)
King george hospital: One of the oldest hospitals started in early 1900 with upgradation in to a medical college in 1923.
victoria goverment hospital: This hospital caters to maternity and gynecological needs of a large segment of old city
Infection disease hospital Mental hospital
Is the information about GATECH setting op its campus in Vizag true???
yes its false
What is "19 lakhs" in English? The population should be a standard English number since this is the English language Wikipedia. Jaguara 21:16, 18 October 2006 (UTC)
- A Lakh is 100,000, which means that this article seems to contradict itself. Is the population 1,900,000, or 1,329,472? Narge 14:57, 19 October 2006 (UTC)
I want to let the authors of the page know that the population figures for Visakhapatnam are highly exaggerated. Even the census website (referred for 2001 ) or World Gazetteer(referred for 2007) don't show the population that high. Obviously the wiki info posted in the Indian city population is also wrong. As rest of the info is very informative and accurate, I appreciate if the authors correct the population figures. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Apman123 (talk • contribs) 16:17, 3 January 2009 (UTC)
Schools have been removed
I removed an unreferenced list of schools from the article. Some seemed suspiciously like advertising attempts, like 'dance school' at the end of the list. For the rest, there was no reason for notability (except for Aloysius), no reference to back up importance, no wiki article (except for timpany). That leaves only 2 of them on the list, until there is a reason to put them back.
The list is:
- * Hindustan Zinc Smeleter Senior secondary High School. - * ABS Public School Aganampudi - * BHPV English/Telugu Medium School. - * Mindi Zilla Parishat High School. - * St.Peter's Elementary School, Gnanapuram - * St.Peter's High School, Gnanapuram - * Jassver English Medium School, Lawsons Bay Colony - * Seventh Day Adventist High School, Jagadamba Center - * Kotak Salesian School, Waltair - * Sacred Heart's High School - * St. John's Parish High School, Old Post Office - * Ramanath Secondary School, NSTL, NAD Kotha Road - * St. Aloysius Anglo-Indian High School, Old Post Office - * Fort Catholic Girl's High School, Old Post Office - * Sri Satya Sai Vidhya Vihar, MVP Colony - * [[SFS School, Seethammadhara]][http://www.sfs-school-vizag.org/] - * St. Ann's High School - * St. Anthony's High School - * St. Joseph's High School & Junior College - * [[Timpany School]] - * Visakha Valley School - * Visakha Tutorial College, Co-operative Colony - * Visakha Tutorial College, Sriharipuram - * Visvodaya High School, Meghadripeta colony, Inside Defence - * Vasistha Vidhya Bhavan High school,seethmmadhara - Civilian Quaters. - * M.V.P Public School - * [[Sri TVS Rao Sri Krishna Vidya Mandir]] - * St.Anthony's High School - * Nehru Muncipal Corporation High School(NMCH) - * Olivet school,krishnanagar - * Little Angels High School, MVP Colony - * SFS school madhurawada* - * Belmont Schools Narasimhanagar & Madhavadhara - * Kendriya Vidyalaya Malkapuram - * National Tutorial College, Akkayyapalem, Visakhapatnam - * Perira English Nobel School(Also known as PEN School) - * port high school - * chaitanya residential school,ukkunagaram - * bharath dance school,parawada |
I dont know why some famous schools such as Visakha Valley and BHPV school are removed from the list.
Please do not add the list of schools back again. there are hundreds of schools in Vizag and all of them are important in their own right. try to keep the page as clean as possible. and try improving the education section if possible. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Nballa (talk • contribs) 16:02, 14 February 2008 (UTC)
- i agree all the schools are important, and also that the list is unnecessary. but there is nothing on education. the city was known for its excellent education facilities... so if someone can add a bit without POV/adverts should help improve the article. Elncid (talk) 17:00, 3 May 2009 (UTC)
I would recommend adding a link to list of schools in Vizag, classifying them as Govt and Private schools. Also some one please come up with list of Engineering and Degree Colleges. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Msreekanth (talk • contribs) 13:27, 25 April 2015 (UTC)
Hospitals' list cleaned up
-Apollo Heart Centre
-Care Hospital (Cardiac Centre)
Are the names of two cardiac centres rqd? Which of the two is more important?
-VisionCare Centre (Super Speciality Eye Hospital)
-Sankar Foundation Eye Hospital
How many eye hospitals are needed in the article?
-Krishna Hospital (Women's Hospital)
Is it neccessary to note that it is a women's hospital?
-Krishna IVF Clinic
Are clinics notable? A clinic near my house is a two-room affair. Does that give it a spot on Wikipedia?
What is this notable for?
-King George Hospital (Medical College Hospital affiliated to Andhra Medical College)
This seems to be the only one with some reason to be mentioned (affliation)
-Seven Hills Hospital
What are these known for?
-MVP Colony Hospital
Colony hospital? Is there any reason for this to be here?
-Victoria Government Hospital (Government Women's Hospital)
Does being a government hospital make it notable?
-St. Joseph's Hospital (Also known as American Hospital)
Is being called the American hospital its only claim to fame?
People, there has to be a reason why we are putting up such a massive list. I am sure there are some editors taking care of this page. Until they drop by and offer their views on this, this list is moved from the main page.
19:51, 26 December 2006 (UTC)
I don't know why did some one remove these two schools from the list, they are very old and top rated schools in Vizag. - * St.Peter's Elementary School, Gnanapuram - * St.Peter's High School, Gnanapuram —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 19:56, 28 March 2008 (UTC) They are added back to the list. See properly
I just noticed that the population stated was 18,000,000.
i removed the entire section of vizag tourism and created a seperate wiki for it. just provided a summary and created a main article link.
removed the entire tourism section. too many images. and too much unrelevant information. create a seperate section for tourism in vizag. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Nballa (talk • contribs) 16:10, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
This article needs a lot of work...
- The grammar is poor in many sentences
- A lot of content is POV and advertising
- Needs reliable sources
- The Tourism section has too many photos; they are are cluttering up the page Copana2002 (talk) 20:13, 29 December 2008 (UTC) -- i removed the entire tourism section. it is not relevant to the city and cluttering up the entire page with too many pictures. someone is adding it back in. i think this article needs to be locked to prevent future edits by over enthusiastic picture posters. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Nballa (talk • contribs) 21:00, 9 January 2009 (UTC)
File:Vizagbeach.jpg may be deleted
I have tagged File:Vizagbeach.jpg, which is in use in this article for deletion because it does not have a copyright tag. If a copyright tag is not added within seven days the image will be deleted. --Chris 07:15, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
Content for removal
A lot of content has no place in this article. I just did a big clean up. I would be grateful if someone would remove the vast amount of promotional content. Anna Frodesiak (talk) 09:18, 25 January 2011 (UTC)
I did a lot more clean up. Now there is a section entitled "The city". I'm not sure how that should be, or what subsections it should contain. Somebody familiar with the area might be able to straighten in out. Thanks. Anna Frodesiak (talk) 09:56, 25 January 2011 (UTC)
In the Economy section of the Visakhapatnam page, an image that has an caption "Megadri River Channel that connects Outer Harour of Visakhapatnam Port with Inner Harbour, In the above caption, Harour has to be replaced with harbour thanks & regards Trivikram
The last name in the Notable residents section is "Srikanth boorela" , which I guess is not that notable in Visakhapatnam. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 11:20, 24 June 2011 (UTC)
File:Visakhapatnam Central near by the office of 'The Commissioner of Police',Vizag..jpg Nominated for Deletion
|An image used in this article, File:Visakhapatnam Central near by the office of 'The Commissioner of Police',Vizag..jpg, has been nominated for deletion at Wikimedia Commons in the following category: Deletion requests December 2011
Don't panic; a discussion will now take place over on Commons about whether to remove the file. This gives you an opportunity to contest the deletion, although please review Commons guidelines before doing so.
Hi there, I would like to explain why I have moved the page.
Earlier the page is named "Visakhapatnam" (విశాఖపట్నం). The transliteration for letter 'శా' is 'śa'(most indians use 'sha' instead of 'śa') but old page has the spelling Vi'sa'khapatnam.
So, I mentioned in the article "(also spelled as Vishakhapatnam)" and moved the page to "Viśakhapatnam" so that it will be familiar to the people who spell it 'Visakhapatnam' or 'Vishakhapatnam' and also phonetically correct.
I am doing this to make the article better and give users better understanding.
- It was not a good idea. It now implies (by including one non-standard character 'ś') that you have given the full transliteration. To do so you would have to transliterate every element of the name, thus giving the IAST Viśākhapaṭnaṁ. This is a clear case where common usage should trump both your idea, and the academically correct IAST. Imc (talk) 07:21, 19 May 2013 (UTC)
- Google hits - Viśakhapatnam 9 hits, Vishakhapatnam 5.8 million hits, Visakhapatnam 27 million (these tend to vary, others will get somewhat different figures). The district website and at least parts of the state government website use Visakhapatnam. There is a draft policy on such names at Wikipedia:Naming_conventions_(Indic) which though unadopted is the only thing we have, and gives some guidance. I have reverted it back to the previous name Visakhapatnam. Imc (talk) 07:30, 19 May 2013 (UTC)
"This article has comments here."
Copyright problem removed
Prior content in this article duplicated one or more previously published sources. The material was copied from: here, here, here, and elsewhere. Copied or closely paraphrased material has been rewritten or removed and must not be restored, unless it is duly released under a compatible license. (For more information, please see "using copyrighted works from others" if you are not the copyright holder of this material, or "donating copyrighted materials" if you are.) For legal reasons, we cannot accept copyrighted text or images borrowed from other web sites or published material; such additions will be deleted. Contributors may use copyrighted publications as a source of information, and according to fair use may copy sentences and phrases, provided they are included in quotation marks and referenced properly. The material may also be rewritten, but only if it does not infringe on the copyright of the original or plagiarize from that source. Therefore such paraphrased portions must provide their source. Please see our guideline on non-free text for how to properly implement limited quotations of copyrighted text. Wikipedia takes copyright violations very seriously, and persistent violators will be blocked from editing. While we appreciate contributions, we must require all contributors to understand and comply with these policies. Thank you. Diannaa (talk) 18:51, 24 December 2014 (UTC)
I think there are lot of Professional Education Institutions both central and State as well as private in Visakhapatnam. I think we need a sub section detailing them in Education would help people wanting to know colleges available here for studying.Satishpoduri (talk) 07:42, 6 February 2015 (UTC)
Lead too long because of history paragraph. It can be truncated to history section by only mentioning the important historical points in the lead as per Wikipedia:WikiProject_Indian_cities#Lead.--Vin09 (talk) 06:37, 24 May 2015 (UTC)
- Agreed. The lead presents the history in way too detail which is unnecessary. I suggest we either trim it extensively or remove it totally. Cheers, ƬheStrikeΣagle 06:45, 24 May 2015 (UTC)
@Av9:, @Strike Eagle: severe edit warring over montage pic. I say the montage must contain 1.port of vizag, 2.any scenic beauty like beach 3.submarine museum or any iconic place, 4.any skyline view of a place like kailasagiri, 5.IT center etc--Sairam v (talk) 04:23, 25 May 2015 (UTC)
- Note: As Sairam says above editors should discuss the image changes in the article, instead of edit-warring over it. I have no strong opinion over the choice of images, but will protect the page (and issue blocks as a last option) if needed. I sincerely hope it does not come to that since everyone seems to be editing in good faith and just need to use the talk-page more and follow WP:BRD. Abecedare (talk) 14:14, 25 May 2015 (UTC)
@Strike Eagle:, @Sairam v:, @Abecedare: I apologize for not discussing it here. I think the collage I uploaded is best because all of the images in the montage are of major landmarks, namely the skyline view from Kailasagiri, the INS Kursura (S20), the Simhachalam Temple, Ramakrishna Mission Beach, the Visakhapatnam Port, King George Hospital, and the Visakhapatnam Steel Plant, all of which have Wikipedia pages in their own rights and are major facets of Vizag's identity. The current montage (as of May 25) does not have a skyline image, and none of the images in the montage have their own Wikipedia article (or are major landmarks on the level of the ones in the montage I uploaded). Therefore, I think my montage is the best one to use on the page. I will refrain from reverting the current collage until those involved in putting it in the article have a chance to respond on the talk page. I also don't think this qualifies as a "severe edit war", as one change has been made that I have not yet reverted. Av9 (talk) 03:41, 26 May 2015 (UTC) @Strike Eagle:, @Sairam v:, @Abecedare:, @Av9:, my suggestion is your image is perfectly right. But, can use more brighter images, I mean those taken in the daylight which are more visible than in night. Also do not say like my montage is the best one to use on the page it may not be supporting WP:NPOV. Thanks. Any comments?--Vin09 (talk) 03:59, 26 May 2015 (UTC)
@Strike Eagle:, @Sairam v:, @Abecedare:,@Vin09: I uploaded all of the source information and re-uploaded my montage (an enhanced version) with links to the source file in the description page. Hopefully this is an acceptable solution to this issue. If not or if you think this is not the best solution, please respond on this talk page. I just want to emphasize that I am making all these edits in good faith, as I would like this article to be as representative and complete (and good) as possible.Av9 (talk) 15:44, 27 May 2015 (UTC) @Av9:Nothing wrong with your image but what I referred to was remake it with replacing Simhachalam Temple, King George Hospital, the Kursura Submarine Museum, pics which are taken at night to daylight. Examples are like this: INS_Kursura, King_george_hospital, Simhachalam-temple etc. I hope you can do it. Thanks. Also, @Vinaykrishna3214: do not replace the images while discussion is in progress.--Vin09 (talk) 03:45, 28 May 2015 (UTC)
- Check this Hyderabad image for any help on Original Images Source authors.