Tall, Tall Trees
|"Tall, Tall Trees"|
|Single by Alan Jackson|
|from the album The Greatest Hits Collection|
|Released||October 9, 1995|
|Format||Promo-only CD single
7" 45 RPM
|Recorded||May 31, 1995|
|Label||Arista Nashville 12879|
|Alan Jackson singles chronology|
"Tall, Tall Trees" is a song co-written by American singers George Jones and Roger Miller. Both singers recorded their own versions: Jones on his 1958 album Long Live King George, and Miller on his 1970 cover album A Trip in the Country.
However, it was not until October 1995 that the song was released as a single, by Alan Jackson, as one of the newly recorded tracks for his 1995 compilation album The Greatest Hits Collection. Jackson's cover was his eleventh Number One hit on the Billboard country charts.
The song is an up-tempo in which the narrator promises to his lover that he will give her anything she wants, whether it be a "big limousine", a "great big mansion", or "tall tall trees and all the water in the seas".
In the liner notes for his Greatest hits album, Alan wrote,"This is an old Roger Miller song I stumbled across. It's a real fun song with a Cajun feel. I've always been a big fan of Roger's and when it came time to record a couple of new songs for this greatest hits, I couldn't resist. After I recorded it, we found out that George Jones is a co-writer - I think George had even forgotten he'd written it. I'm proud to have the chance to record a song written by two of my favorites."
Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably, saying that Jackson's vocal "evokes the right combination of devotion and playfulness on this tune about a man who promises his love everything from a big mansion to tall, tall trees."
The music video was directed by Sherman Halsey and premiered in October 1995 on CMT.
"Tall, Tall Trees" debuted at number 51 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of October 21, 1995.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||62|
- The Greatest Hits Collection (CD). Alan Jackson. Arista Records. 1995. 07822 18801.
- Bedard, George. "Long Live King George review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Adams, Greg. "A Trip in the Country review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Huey, Steve. "Alan Jackson biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Billboard, October 21, 1995
- "RPM Country Tracks." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. December 4, 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- "Alan Jackson Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Alan Jackson.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1995". RPM. December 18, 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
"Check Yes or No"
by George Strait
|Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks
December 9-December 16, 1995
"That's as Close as I'll Get to Loving You"
by Aaron Tippin
|RPM Top Country Tracks
December 4-December 11, 1995
"Life Gets Away"
by Clint Black