Little is known at this time aside from the site being active from circa 6th millennium BC to circa 4th millennium BC.
The site consists of two mounds, A and B. In 1928, exploratory excavation was done by Ernst Herzfeld, of the University of Berlin. Alexander Langsdorff and Donald McCown conducted full scale excavations in 1932. Additional work was done at the site in 1937 by Erich Schmidt leading the Persepolis Expedition of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago.   Some limited work was done at Tall-i Bakun by a team from the Tokyo University led by Namio Egami and Seiichi Masuda in 1956.   The most recent excavations were by a joint team of the Oriental Institute and the Iranian Cultural Heritage and Tourism Organisation. 
-  Alexander Langsdorff and Donald E. McCown, Tall-i Bakun A, A Season of 1932, Oriental Institute Publication 59, 1942
- Erich F. Schmidt, Tol-e-Bakun: Prehistoric Mound near Persepolis, University of Pennsylvania Museum Bulletin, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 27-28, 1939
-  Abbas Alizadeh, Abbas Alizadeh, The Origins of State Organizations in Prehistoric Highland Fars, Southern Iran: Excavations at Tall-e Bakun, Oriental Institute Publication 128, 2006
- Namio Egami and Seiichi Masuda, Marv-Dasht: I: the excavation at Tall-i-Bakun 1956 and 1959, The Institute for Oriental Culture the University of Tokyo, 1962
- Namio Egami Seiichi Masuda, Marv-Dasht: the excavation at Tall-I-Bakun 1959 (report 3), The Institute for Oriental Culture the University of Tokyo, 1962
- Alizadeh, A., N. Kouchoukos, T.J. Wilkinson, A.M. Bauer, and M. Mashkour, Human-Environment Interactions on the Upper Khuzestan Plains, Southwest Iran: Recent Investigations, Paléorient, vol. 30, pp. 69-88, 2004
- Alexander Langsdorff and Donald McCown, Socio-Economic Complexity in Southwestern Iran During the Fifth and Fourth Millennia BC: The Evidence from Tall-e Bakun A, Journal of the British Institute of Persian Studies, IRAN, vol. 26, pp. 17–34, 1988
- Ernst Herzfeld Papers, Series 5: Drawings and Maps, Records of Tall-e Bakun Collections Search Center, S.I.R.I.S., Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
- Finding Aids Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
- Site photograph from the Oriental Institute
- Bowl from Tall-i Bakun at the British Museum