Tallow, County Waterford
Tulach an Iarainn
Main Street in Tallow.
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
Tallow boasts an array of amenities. It has 5 public houses. 3 Restaurants are of both Irish and Chinese cuisine are located in Tallow. A fourth, the Brideview Restaurant burned down in 2013. There are also an array of convenience stores. Tallow owns its own Gaelic Grounds. The local soccer club is Brideview United. Fishing is a very important hobby during the summer months. There is a branch library which is open two days a week.
- Tallow Champion Wellington Thrower 2009,2011,2012 Gavin Kerrigan esq.
- The town lies at the junction of the R268, R627 and R634 regional roads.
- Tallow Road railway station opened on 27 September 1872 and finally closed on 27 March 1967.
- Tallow has a national school called Scoil Mhuire which is used by around 140 children.
- The town also has an enterprise centre used by many local organisations including the Senior Citizens' Group.
At the St. Patrick's Parish Hall three sons of Tallow are commemorated:
- John Hogan (1800–1858) was born in Tallow and became one of the greatest Irish sculptors.
- Tobias Kirby (1804–1895), a distinguished churchman born in Tallow, Rector of the Irish College Rome 1850-1891, and Archbishop of Ephesus 1885.
- Frank Ryan (1900–1965) was a tenor who grew up in Tallow.
- Ned Power (1929–2007) major contributor to Tallow G.A.A .
- Census for post 1821 figures.
- "NISRA - Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency". Nisranew.nisra.gov.uk. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- Lee, JJ (1981). "On the accuracy of the Pre-famine Irish censuses". In Goldstrom, J. M.; Clarkson, L. A. Irish Population, Economy, and Society: Essays in Honor of the Late K. H. Connell. Oxford, England: Clarendon Press.
- Mokyr, Joel; O Grada, Cormac (November 1984). "New Developments in Irish Population History, 1700-1850". The Economic History Review 37 (4): 473–488. doi:10.1111/j.1468-0289.1984.tb00344.x.
- "Tallow Road station" (PDF). Railscot - Irish Railways. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tallow, County Waterford.|
- Unofficial web site
- Tallow Enterprise Centre
- E. M. P. Beecher Cantillon: Tallow : An Outline History