Taltree Arboretum and Gardens
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
The Taltree Arboretum and Gardens (360 acres/1.5 km²) is an ecologically diverse nature preserve of woodlands, savanna, wetlands and prairie, woody plant collections and gardens, located in Valparaiso, Indiana, USA. The arboretum is located at 41.44893, -87.153329.
Taltree contains many natural and ornamental plant exhibits and gardens.
- Welcome Garden
- Hitz Family Rose Garden
- Native Plant Garden
- Pavilion Garden
- Railway Garden
- Bluebird Trail - longest trail at Taltree (1.5 miles/2.4 km)
- Goldfinch Trail - southernmost trail (0.6 miles/0.97 km)
- Heron Trail - shortest trail, around Heron Pond (0.4 miles/0.64 km)
- Owl Trail - through woodlands and Oak Islands (0.5 miles/0.8 km)
- Cardinal Trail - can be accessed from Bluebird Trail, through dense forested areas (.8 miles/1.3 km)
The grounds are open to the public year-round during the daylight hours.
The Arboretum was founded in the 1990s as an effort to preserve the natural beauty of Northwest Indiana. The initial land purchase was made in 1990 by Damien and Rita Gabis. Groundwork began in 1996. Today the Arboretum is operated by the Taltree Arboretum & Gardens Foundation (formerly the Gabis Family Foundation). Together with volunteers the Gabis family plant between 15,000 and 20,000 new trees to restore drained farmland to native prairie and woodland areas. Taltree's vision states: "Taltree will improve quality of life and increase economic vitality in the South Lake Michigan region by preserving green space, establishing significant woody plant collections in beautiful display gardens, hosting cultural events and encouraging people to enjoy, appreciate, and take pride in our natural heritage."
- "General Information" accessdate: August 2, 2011
- Taltree Arboretum & Gardens Trail Map, publication. Received on September 2010.
- "Trees, trains at Taltree Arboretum, Gardens in Valparaiso" "WLS-TV/DT", June 21,2011
|This Porter County, Indiana location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a protected area in Indiana is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a garden in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|