Tamá National Natural Park
|Parque Nacional Natural Tamá|
|Tamá National Natural Park|
|Nearest city||Pamplona, Colombia|
|Area||480 km2 (190 sq mi)|
|Established||6 June 1977|
The Tamá National Natural Park (Spanish: Parque Nacional Natural Tamá) is a national park located in the Andean Region of Colombia, between the municipalities Toledo and Herrán, in the Norte de Santander Department, in the northeastern part of the Cordillera Oriental range. One of the main attractions of the park is a 820 metres (2,690 ft) high waterfall, one of the world's highest.
The park is connected to El Tamá National Park in Venezuela via the borders to the Venezuelan states Táchira and Apure, together they form a larger protected area with an additional 1,390 km2 (540 sq mi). On the Colombian side, 47,550 hectares (99%) of the park is located in Toledo and 450 hectares in Herrán. It was established in 6 June 1977 for conservational, scientific and recreational reasons.
Flora and fauna
Tamá has four types of natural environments: tropical rainforest, sub-Andean forest, Andean forest and páramo. Notable flora include: Weinmannia pubescens, Befaria glauca, Mexican alder and endemic Espeletia uribei which grows higher than metres. Palms prosper in the lower-altitudes, and moss of the genus Sphagnum grows in the swamps.
The fauna is varied, notable mammals found in the area include: spectacled bear, opossum, deer, mountain lion and anteater. Notable birds include: Oilbird, endangered Northern Helmeted Curassow and Flame-winged Parakeet, a species endemic to the region.
- "Turismo" (in Spanish). Gobernación de Norte de Santander. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Resolucion 0162 de 6 de junio de 1977" (in Spanish). Ministerio de Agricultura y Desarrollo Rural. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Parque Nacional Natural Tamá" (in Spanish). Parques Nacionales Naturales de Colombia. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- "Turismo: Parque Nacional Natural Tamá" (in Spanish). El municipio de Herrán. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- IUCN 1982, p. 140
- "Naturaleza y Ciencia del Parque Nacional Natural Tamá" (in Spanish). Parques Nacionales Naturales de Colombia. Retrieved 10 July 2010.
- IUCN (1982), IUCN directory of neotropical protected areas (in Spanish and English), IUCN, ISBN 978-0-907567-62-2.