Tama County, Iowa
|Tama County, Iowa|
Tama County Courthouse in Toledo
Location in the state of Iowa
Iowa's location in the U.S.
722.37 sq mi (1,871 km²)
721.30 sq mi (1,868 km²)
1.07 sq mi (3 km²), 0.15%
24.6/sq mi (9.5/km²)
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
According to the 2010 census, the county has a total area of 722.37 square miles (1,870.9 km2), of which 721.30 square miles (1,868.2 km2) (or 99.85%) is land and 1.07 square miles (2.8 km2) (or 0.15%) is water.
Major highways 
Adjacent counties 
- Grundy County (northwest)
- Black Hawk County (northeast)
- Benton County (east)
- Poweshiek County (south)
- Marshall County (west)
- Iowa County (southeast)
|Iowa Data Center|
2010 census 
The 2010 census recorded a population of 17,767 in the county, with a population density of 24.5638/sq mi (9.4841/km2). There were 7,766 housing units, of which 6,947 were occupied.
2000 census 
As of the census  of 2000, there were 17,767 people, 7,018 households, and 4,968 families residing in the county. The population density was 25 people per square mile (10/km²). There were 7,583 housing units at an average density of 10 per square mile (4/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 90.38% White, 0.25% Black or African American, 6.09% Native American, 0.18% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.90% from other races, and 1.18% from two or more races. 3.75% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,018 households out of which 31.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.20% were married couples living together, 8.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.20% were non-families. 25.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the county the population was spread out with 26.60% under the age of 18, 7.00% from 18 to 24, 25.20% from 25 to 44, 22.50% from 45 to 64, and 18.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 96.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.50 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,419, and the median income for a family was $43,646. Males had a median income of $30,723 versus $22,597 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,097. About 7.60% of families and 10.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.50% of those under age 18 and 9.40% of those age 65 or over.
Tama County is served by 4 school districts. The largest is South Tama Community School District, at the 3A designation. Second largest is G-M-G Community Schools with a 2A designation. Also is North Tama Community Schools which has been designated a 1A school. Lastly is the Meskwaki Settlement School with a 8-man Designation.
Notable natives 
- George R. Struble (1836–1918). Iowa judge and politician from Toledo. Speaker of the Iowa House of Representatives, 1881-1883. Ardent prohibitionist. Brother of John T. Struble of Johnson County, Iowa, and Congressman Isaac S. Struble of Plymouth County, Iowa. Biography in the Journal of the House, memorial resolution of 3/23/1921.
- Michael Emerson Born In Cedar Rapids,Iowa and raised in Toledo, Iowa, Emmerson has been on Broadway and made appearances on Lost in 2004.
Unincorporated communities 
Tama County is divided into twenty-one townships:
See also 
- "Population and Housing Occupancy Status: 2010 - State -- County". United States Census Bureau American FactFinder. Retrieved March 26, 2011.
- "Data from the 2010 Census". State Data Center of Iowa. Retrieved March 26, 2011.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- City Community Description Congressional district Overview Population District type Geographical location/Climate Closest major city Political structure History Cultural institutions/events Distinguishing features Existing ties with Russia
- Tama County
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- South Tama County | Home of the Trojans! Web. 26 Mar. 2011.<http://www.s-tama.k12.ia.us/>
- Meskwaki Settlement School. Web. 26 Mar. 2011.<http://www.msswarriors.org/>
- Welcome to North Tama County Community Schools. Web. 26 Mar. 2011.<http://www.n-tama.k12.ia.us/>
- New Page 1. Web. 26 Mar. 2011.<http://www.garwin.k12.ia.us/>.
- "Michael Emerson (I) - Biography." The Internet Movie Database (IMDb). Web. 27 Mar. 2011. <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0256237/bio>.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Tama County, Iowa|
- IAGenWeb History, Biographies, Records and more
||Grundy County||Black Hawk County|
|Marshall County||Benton County|
|Poweshiek County||Iowa County|