Tamannaah at the grand finale of Nach Baliye 5.
21 December 1989
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Height||5 feet 6 inches (168 cm)|
Tamannaah Bhatia (born 21 December 1989) is an Indian film actress and model, who performs under the mononym Tamannaah and predominantly appears in South Indian cinema. In 2005, she made her acting debut in the Bollywood film, Chand Sa Roshan Chehra, before working in the major South Indian film industries. Also in 2005, Tamannaah made her Telugu film debut in Sri, and in the following year she appeared in her first Tamil film, Kedi Which is noted for her performance. In 2007, she starred in two college-life-based drama films, Happy Days in Telugu and Kalloori in Tamil, which both earned her critical acclaim.
After being part of the several commercially successful films, including Ayan (2009), Paiyaa (2010) and Siruthai (2011), she emerged as a leading contemporary actress in Tamil cinema. She staged a successful comeback in Telugu cinema in 2011 with the romance film 100% Love (2011), which won her several accolades. With successful films such as Racha (2012), Cameraman Ganga Tho Rambabu (2012) and Thadaka (2013), she established herself as one of Telugu cinema's leading contemporary actresses.
Tamannaah Bhatia was born on 21 December 1989 in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, to Santhosh and Rajani Bhatia and she has an elder brother, Anand. Her father is a diamond merchant. She is of Sindhi descent. She did her schooling in Maneckji Cooper Educational Trust School, Juhu, Mumbai. She later changed her screen name for numerological reasons, varying it slightly to Tamannaah. She has been working since the age of 13 since she was spotted at her school’s annual day function and offered the lead role which she took up, and then also became a part of Mumbai's Prithvi Theatre for a year. She also appeared in the music video of Lafzon Mein Keh Na Saku by Abhijeet Sawant, the winner of the first Indian Idol.
Tamannaah started her acting career in 2005, essaying the female lead role in Chand Sa Roshan Chehra, her only Hindi film to date before Himmatwala. The same year, she debuted in Telugu cinema in Sri, playing the leading female role opposite Manoj Manchu. In 2006, she made her debut in the Tamil film industry in Kedi, produced by A. M. Rathnam, along with Ravi Krishna and another newcomer, Ileana D'Cruz. In 2007, she had three releases. After her role in the unsuccessful Vyapari, Tamannaah rose to popularity with the Sekhar Kammula-directed Telugu film Happy Days which received positive reviews and became her first major box office success. Her next release was the Tamil drama film Kalloori, directed by Balaji Sakthivel, that won her accolades and critical acclaim in Tamil as well. In 2008, Tamannaah again had three releases, appearing only in cameo roles in two of them.
In 2009, she received box office success with Padikathavan, with Dhanush. Her next release was the Telugu film Konchem Ishtam Konchem Kashtam opposite Siddharth. It became a success and she was praised for her refreshing performance. Her next film was Ananda Tandavam, which sank without a trace although her performance was praised by critics. Her next Tamil film Ayan alongside Suriya became a huge blockbuster and made her a leading star in the Tamil film industry. Her successive release Kandein Kadhalai, which was a remake of the 2007 Hindi blockbuster Jab We Met, was considered a moderate success. She did the role originally played by Kareena Kapoor and was praised by critics for her performance.
Her first 2010 release was Lingusamy's romantic-action flick Paiyaa co-starring Karthi, which went on to become a blockbuster. Tamannaah's chemistry with Karthi in the film was widely praised. Her next release was Sura opposite Vijay.Her next release was Thillalangadi with Jayam Ravi, which became an above average grosser, but her performance was praised. Her success in Tamil films during 2009 and 2010 established her as the numero uno actress in Kollywood at the time.
Tamannaah and appeared in six films in 2011, five of which featured her in a starring role. Her first release was the Tamil action film, Siruthai, which was the remake of the Tollywood blockbuster Vikramarkudu and was her second film alongside Karthi. The film becoming a blockbuster, although her character was received poorly by critics, with a reviewer citing that she offered "little more than arm-candy". Her next release was her first Telugu release after two years, the highly successful romantic comedy 100% Love (2011) with Naga Chaitanya, which fetched positive reviews from both critics and viewers. Tamannaah won the CineMAA Award for Best Actress, besides receiving nominations at various award ceremonies. She was next seen in the Telugu historical masala film Badhrinaadh (2011) opposite Allu Arjun that became an average grosser, which was followed by a Tamil action-masala film again, Hari's Venghai (2011), where she acted alongside Dhanush for the second time in her career. The film was not well received, however critics lauded her performance. Her final release of 2011 was Oosaravelli, starring Jr. NTR, which was average at the box office, but was praised for her acting. Her first film in 2012 was the Ram Charan Teja starrer Rachaa, which became a huge blockbuster. Rachaa's success established her as one of the leading and in-demand actresses in Tollywood. Her next releases were Endhukante Premanta featuring her opposite Ram and Rebel starring Prabhas, which both opened to mixed reviews. Later that year she starred opposite Pawan Kalyan in Cameraman Ganga Tho Rambabu. According to Oneindia.in, it was a blockbuster.
In March 2013 she starred opposite Ajay Devgan in her second Hindi film, Himmatwala, which is a remake of the 1983-film with the same title. She then appeared in Thadaka, the Telugu remake of the 2012 Tamil hit Vettai, opposite Naga Chaitanya. She topped the list as the Hyderabad's most desirable woman 2012.
She has signed her next Hindi films, Entertainment opposite Akshay Kumar and Sajid Khan's Hamshakals opposite Saif Ali Khan. In December 2013, she joined S. S. Rajamouli's epic film Baahubali. In March 2014, she shot for a song in V. V. Vinayak's Alludu Sreenu. now she has also been singned for bellamkonda sai sreenivas's second film under the direction of boyapti seenu as the female lead.
Tamannaah also has experience as a model appearing in various television commercials. She is endorsing popular brands like Celkon Mobiles, Fanta and Chandrika Ayurvedic soap. She is also the brand ambassador of the Salem based jewellery shop AVR and Khazana Jewellery. Before entering the film industry, she also acted in Tamil advertisements like Shakthi Masala, Power Soap and Sun Direct. She also worked with Virat Kohli for an ad shoot of Celkon Mobile.
|2005||Chand Sa Roshan Chehra||Jiya Oberoi||Hindi|
|2007||Happy Days||Madhu||Telugu||Nominated—CineMAA Award for Best Actress|
|2007||Kalloori||Shobana||Tamil||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Tamil|
|2008||Ninna Nedu Repu||Telugu||Guest appearance|
|2008||Netru Indru Naalai||Tamil||Guest appearance|
|2009||Konchem Ishtam Konchem Kashtam||Geeta Subramanyam||Telugu||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu
Nominated—South Scope Award for Best Telugu Actress
Nominated—CineMAA Award for Best Actress
|2009||Kanden Kadhalai||Anjali||Tamil||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Tamil|
|2010||Paiyaa||Charulatha||Tamil||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Tamil|
|2011||100% Love||Mahalakshmi||Telugu||CineMAA Award for Best Actress
Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu
|2012||Rachcha||Chaitra (Ammu)||Telugu||Nominated—CineMAA Award for Best Actress
Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu
Nominated—SIIMA Award for Best Actress
|2012||Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu||Ganga||Telugu|
|2014||Alludu Sreenu||Telugu||Special appearance in item song
- 2007 - Nominated, Best Actress for Happy Days
- 2009 - Nominated, Best Actress for Konchem Ishtam Konchem Kashtam
- 2011 - Won, Best Actress for 100% Love
- 2012 - Nominated, Best Actress for Rachcha
- 2009 - Nominated, Best Actress for Kanden Kadhalai
- 2009 - Nominated, Favourite Heroine for Ayan
- 2010 - Nominated, Favourite Heroine for Paiyaa
- Other awards
- Hyderabad Times Film Award for Best Actress – 100% Love (2011)
- Santhosham Award for Best Actress – 100% Love (2011)
- South Scope Award for Best Tamil Actress – Kanden Kadhalai (2009)
- Tsr Tv9 Award for Best Actress – 100% Love
- GR8 Women Awards Ceremony, Hyderabad (2014)
- BIG FM Most Entertaining Actress of the Year for Paiyaa
- South Scope Award for Best Telugu Actress 100% Love (2011)
- B. Nagi Reddy Memorial Awards 2013
- "Tamanna Bhatia – Actress". Nilacharal.com. 1987-12-21. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- Sify (21 December 2010). "Happy birthday Tamannaah". Sify. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Sify (21 December 2009). "Happy B'day to the Queen of K’wood!". Sify. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Article-Tamil-Tamannah in Kandein Kadhalai. Indiglamour.com (2009-10-17). Retrieved on 2010-12-13.
- "Siren of the Week: Tamannaah Bhatia – 9". Entertainment.in.msn.com. 2009-10-03. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Tamannah's 'secret of success' – Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2010-06-01. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Konchem Istam Konchem Kastam Telugu Movie Review". IndiaGlitz. 2009-02-05. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Review: Koncham Ishtam, Koncham Kashtam". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Karthi and Tamanna shares a good chemistry on screen". Tamilmoviestar.com. 2010-04-15. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- Thillalangadi is a ridiculous pot-boiler – Rediff.com Movies. Movies.rediff.com (2010-07-23). Retrieved on 2011-06-17.
- Siruthai is Karthi's show all the way – Rediff.com Movies. Rediff.com (2011-01-14). Retrieved on 2011-06-17.
- "Venghai Tamil Movie Review". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "Review: Venghai is tedious — Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "Movie Review:Venghai". Sify.com. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "Review: Oosaravelli is a routine revenge drama". Rediff.com. 2011-10-07. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- Tamanna is Ganga in Pawan's film. Indiaglitz.com (2012-03-26). Retrieved on 2012-05-10.
- CGTR becomes an all time blockbuster
- "Exclusive Interview : Extremely fond of Hyderabadi Biryani : Tamanna". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- "Milk BeautyTamanna replaces Hansika in Thadaka". Timesofap.com. 2012-08-25. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Saif Ali To Romance Tamannah And Sonal In Sajid Khan's HUMSHAKAL". Boxofficecapsule.com. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Akshay Kumar to work with a dog in Ramesh Tauraniâ€™s next". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-06-10. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Tamannaah to romance Prabhas in Baahubali - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "After initial walk out, Tammu does a song for Vinayak's film - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- "Tamanna to endorse Wipro's Chandrika soap!!". currentweek. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- palPalani (2012-04-23). "Tamanna to endorse Fanta!". Southdreamz.com. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- Tamanna with Kohli
- "Tamanna Bhatia Poses for PETA To Oppose Animal Tests," OneIndia Entertainment, 17 June 2014.
- "The Hyderabad Times Film Awards 2011". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 June 2012.
- "Prakash Raj & Tamannaah gets South Scope Awards". Sify.com. 2010-09-20. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tamannaah.|