Tamar Geller is a dog trainer who developed "the Loved Dog" method of dog training. After serving as an intelligence officer working with the Israeli Special Forces, she dedicated her time to observing wolves in the wild and studying how the parent canines trained their young. By using similar techniques as the wolves, she created a method of training puppies that does not involve aggression, dominance, or choke chains. Tamar’s method goes beyond positive reinforcement as she emphasize building a solid relationship with the dog based on understanding the dog as the individual that s/he is and coaching them through games and fun. She strongly oppose the training methods that want a dog to be submissive. Tamar believes in empowering the dog to be the best s/he could be. She is the founder of the first cage-free doggy boarding and day care center in southern California, called The Loved Dog. Her book of the same name teaches dog-owners how to train their dogs in a nonaggressive way.
Among other things, Geller works closely with the animal rights organizations The Humane Society of the United States, ASPCA, Best Friends Animal Society, PETA, Helen Woodward Animal Center, and various rescue organizations. She conducts speeches and programs for rescue organizations, and has given lectures about her expertise in animal behavior at Pepperdine University. She writes a regular blog for “Rescue Me” magazine. Oprah called Tamar “Life coach for dogs and their people.”
Geller trains the dogs of several celebrities including Oprah Winfrey, Ellen Degeneres, Larry King, Jon Stewart, Ben Affleck, Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman, Owen Wilson, Kelly Ripa, Brad Paisely, Julianne Hough, Ryan Seacrest, Colbie Calliat, and many others.
She has appeared on various television programs and media outlets, including The Today Show, Oprah, Ellen, Animal Planet, CNN, USA Today, LA Weekly, Travel+Leisure, Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, Extra, Insider, HLN, Fox News, CNN, HGTV, TLC, Bravo and 20/20.
- Tamar Geller (12 October 2010). 30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog: The Loved Dog Method. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 978-1439177709. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- Tamar Geller; Andrea Cagan (14 October 2008). The Loved Dog: The Playful, Nonaggressive Way to Teach Your Dog Good Behavior. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 978-1-4165-9398-0. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
- Celebrate Your Dog! The Loved Dog Way of Training (DVD), 2007
- Solomon, Deborah (May 27, 2007). "The Dogged Approach". New York Times Magazine. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- "The Loved Dog".
- Johnson, Ruthanne (January 2, 2014). "Crate Escapes. For easier house-training, tap into your dog's denning instincts". Humane Society Magazine.
- "Dog Coaching With Tamar Geller". PETA.
- Manning, Anita (April 26, 2007). "For pet trainer to the stars, short leash is not the answer". USA Today.
- "Oprah Teaches Her Dogs Not to Jump". Oprah Winfrey Show.
- "Dog Expert Tamar Geller Answers Your Questions Online". Ellen.
- Alimurung, Gendy (May 8, 2014). "Tamar Geller, a Life Coach for Celebrities' Dogs". LA Weekly.
- "Fast Talk: Tamar Geller". Travel+Leisure. May 2003.
- "Mario Meets the Canine Matchmaker". Extra.
- Diaz, Andres (November 5, 2013). "Celebrity trainer uses dogs to heal wounds of war". HLN.
- "Dog Training Mistakes". Fox News. April 29, 2011.