Dobson as Cleopatra Jones, 1973.
|Born||Tamara Janice Dobson
May 14, 1947
|Died||October 2, 2006
Cause of death
|Complications from Pneumonia and Multiple Sclerosis|
|Education||Maryland Institute College of Art|
Tamara Janice Dobson (May 14, 1947 - October 2, 2006) was an African-American actress and fashion model. Though she appeared in a few films in Hollywood, she became best known for her title roles in the 1973 Blaxploitation film Cleopatra Jones and its 1975 sequel Cleopatra Jones and the Casino of Gold.
Life and Career
Dobson was born in Baltimore, Maryland. She started as a beautician. While working, she received her degree in fashion illustration from the Maryland Institute College of Art. While studying, she was discovered in 1969 and began to film commercials and modeling. After school, she moved from Maryland to New York to model and act full-time. Dobson, who stood 6 feet 2 inches (188 cm), eventually became a fashion model for Vogue Magazine. Reportedly there was animosity between Dobson and Pam Grier with Dobson's publicist writing that "Miss Dobson refuses to appear in the same book much less on the same page as Miss Grier" and "Miss Dobson also has refused to participate in the same celebrity events in which Miss Grier is involved". Dobson's animosty was believed to be due to her refusing to do nude scenes in films as opposed to Pam Grier.
- Come Back, Charleston Blue (1972) (uncredited) 
- Fuzz (1972)
- Cleopatra Jones (1973)
- Cleopatra Jones and the Casino of Gold (1975)
- Norman...Is That You? (1976)
- Murder at the World Series (TV) (1977)
- Jason of Star Command (TV) (1978) 
- Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (TV) (1979)
- Chained Heat (1983)
- Amazons (TV) (1984)
- "Tamara Dobson, 59; Former Model Starred in `Cleopatra Jones' Movies". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- "Cleopatra Jones star Tamara Dobson dies at 59". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- p.94 Sims, Yvonne D. Women of Blaxploitation: How the Black Action Film Heroine Changed American Popular Culture McFarland, 24 Aug 2006
- "Tamara Dobson, 59, Model and Actress, Dies". The New York Times. October 6, 2006. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- "Actress Tamara Dobson, 59, starred as `Cleopatra Jones'". Baltimore Sun. October 5, 2006. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- Tamara Dobson at the Internet Movie Database
- Tamara Dobson at AllMovie
- Actress Tamara Dobson, Star of 'Cleopatra Jones,' Dies At 59, Vibe.com
- The Cocoa Lounge Remembers Tamara Dobson, Biography, Cocoalounge.com