Caltrain commuter rail station
VTA light rail station
The light rail platform at Tamien
|Address||Lelong Street and Alma Avenue
San Jose, California
Limited-stop serviceVTA Light Rail
|Connections||VTA Bus Routes 25, 82|
|Platforms||1 island platform (Caltrain)
1 island platform (VTA)
|Passengers (2014)||970 per weekday 20.2% (Caltrain)|
Tamien Station is an intermodal passenger transportation station served by the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) light rail system, two bus routes, and the Caltrain commuter rail line. The station has two distinct elevated rail platforms – one for Caltrain, the other for light rail. Each is a center platform with two trackways (one on each side). The two platforms are connected by a walkway at ground-level that is below the two platforms.
Currently, Caltrain does not serve this station during the middle of the day on weekdays. On weekends, a Caltrain shuttle bus instead of a train connects Tamien to the San Jose Diridon station.
Platforms and tracks
The light rail platform is located in the center median of the State Route 87 freeway just north of the Alma Avenue overpass. The Caltrain platform is located between Lick Avenue and State Route 87, just north of Alma Avenue.
- VTA platform
|Northbound||■Alum Rock–Santa Teresa||toward Alum Rock (Virginia)|
|Southbound||■Alum Rock–Santa Teresa||toward Santa Teresa (Curtner)|
- Caltrain platform
|Mainline track||■Coast Starlight||No stops|
|Northbound||■Local service||toward San Francisco (San Jose Diridon)|
|■Limited-stop service||toward San Francisco (San Jose Diridon)|
|■Baby Bullet, Peak, Pattern B||toward San Francisco (San Jose Diridon)|
|Southbound||■Local service||toward Gilroy (Capitol)|
|■Limited-stop service||toward Gilroy during peak hours (Capitol)|
|■Baby Bullet, Peak, Pattern B||toward Tamien (Last stop)|
- Child Care center
- Park and Ride lot
- Elevator at both stations
- Wheelchair accessible
- Highway 87 Bicycle & Pedestrian Path access - adjacent to station - path runs from just north of Tamien Station to the SR 85/SR 87 interchange
- VTA Bus Route 25 - Alum Rock Transit Center to De Anza College
- VTA Bus Route 82 - Westgate to Downtown San Jose
- Hylkema, Mark, Tamien Station Archeological Project, published by Bean, Lowell John, editor, The Ohlone: Past and Present Native Americans of the San Francisco Bay Region. Menlo Park, CA: Ballena Press Publication, 1994. ISBN 0-87919-129-5 (pages 249-270).
- Caltrain. "February 2014 Caltrain Annual Passenger Counts". Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Media related to Tamien Station at Wikimedia Commons
- Station information (Caltrain)
- Station information (Transit Unlimited)