Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
|Tamil Nadu Agricultural University|
|Location||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India|
Tamil Nadu Agricultural University is a leading agrotechnology provider of India and its graduates are recognized throughout the world. The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) had its genesis from establishment of an Agricultural School at Saidapet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India as early as 1868 which was later relocated at Coimbatore during 1906.
The university offers thirteen undergraduate degree programs, forty graduate degree programs and twenty-six doctoral programs in 14 colleges distributed in 11 campuses all over Tamil Nadu. TNAU has 36 research centers for agrotechnology development and 14 Farm Science Centers for outreach.
In 1920 it was affiliated to Madras University. TNAU assumed full responsibilities of Agricultural Education and Research and supported the State Agricultural Department by delivering research products. Till 1946, the Agricultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore, was the only Institute for Agricultural Education for the whole of South India. In 1958, it was recognized as a Post-graduate Centre leading to Masters and Doctoral degrees. The Agricultural College and Research Institute, Madurai was established in 1965. These two colleges formed the nucleus of the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University while it was established in 1971.
In 1972, separate degree programmes of B.Sc. (Horticulture) and B.E.(Agriculture) were started. In 1979, a separate Faculty of Horticulture was established. In 1980, B.Sc.(Home Science) programme was started at Madurai campus. The third Agricultural College was started at Killikulam in 1984 and the fourth at Kumulur (Trichy) in 1989 and later shifted to Navalur Kuttappattu (Trichy) in 1992 which is named as Anbil Dharmalingam Agricultural College and Research Institute. During 1985, B.Sc.(Forestry) programme was started at Coimbatore. Presently the B.Sc.(Horticulture) degree programme is being offered at Horticultural College and Research Institute, Periyakulam and B.Sc.(Forestry) degree programme at Forest College and Research Institute, Mettupalayam. In line with technological changes the B.E.(Agriculture) hither to offered is offered as B.Tech.(Agricultural Engineering) from the Academic year 2002-2003 at Agricultural Engineering College and Research Institute, Kumulur, Trichy. B.Sc.(Home Science) degree program is being offered at Home Science College and Research Institute, Agricultural College Campus, Madurai. The Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru College of Agriculture and Research Institute, Karaikal, governed by Government of Pondichery, is an affiliated institute of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University where B.Sc. (Agriculture) course is being offered. Apart from these academic institutes, the University now has research programs at more than 32 stations, spread over in Tamil Nadu with more than 1200 scientists and teaching faculty.
The global technological developments have led to introduction of new courses. Introduction of B.Tech.(Food Process Engineering) from the academic year 1998–99, B.Tech. (Agricultural Biotechnology) and B.Tech. (Horticulture) from the academic year 2002–2003 as self-supporting program has created avenues for budgetary independence. A new degree program B.Tech. (Energy and Environmental Engineering) was started during 2004 and B.Tech. (Bioinformatics) during 2006. B.Tech. (Agricultural Information Technology) and B.S. (Agribusiness Management) were started in 2007. with erstwhile Faculty of Agriculture of University of Madras as nucleus.
- 1868: Agricultural School was started at Saidapet, Chennai (Madras).
- 1906: The Saidapet Agricultural School was shifted to Coimbatore and foundation stone laid for Madras Agricultural College.
- 1908: Students were admitted to education program leading to Licentiate in Agriculture (L. Ag.)
- 1909: Opening of Agricultural College and Research Institute (AC & RI) by Sir Arthur Lawley.
- 1920: The AC & RI was affiliated to Madras University. A new course of study leading to a three-year degree in Agriculture -B.Sc. (Ag.) was started.
- 1945: Second Agricultural College was started at Bapatla (Now in Andhra Pradesh).
- 1958: Regional Post-Graduate Center was established to offer programs leading to Masters degree in Agriculture & Horticulture.
- 1960: Integrated system with four year B.Sc. (Ag) degree program after pre-university education was introduced and subsequently doctoral program in Agriculture was started.
- 1965: Third Agricultural College was started at Madurai, Tamil Nadu and the Masters program at Madurai was introduced during 1969.
- 1971: The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University came into existence with Coimbatore as its headquarters.
- 1972: A separate Faculty of Horticulture was established and a degree program in Horticulture - B.Sc. (Hort.) was introduced. The College of Agricultural Engineering was established at Coimbatore and a Bachelor's degree program in Agricultural Engineering - B.E.(Ag) was introduced.
- 1973: Doctoral program was introduced in Horticultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore.
- 1975: Faculty of Post Graduate Education was established in TNAU, Coimbatore and master's and doctoral (1978) programs were started in Environmental Sciences and Biotechnology.
- 1976: The Madras Veterinary College became constituent unit of TNAU and B.V.Sc. degree program was suitably restructured*.
- 1977: Bachelor's degree (B.F.Sc.) program in Fisheries Science at Thoothukudi was started*.
- Masters and doctoral program in Agricultural Engineering was introduced.
- 1980: Bachelor's degree (B.Sc. (H.Sc.)) in Home Science was launched in Madurai Campus.
- 1981: Master's program was introduced in Home Science College & Research Institute, Madurai and doctoral program in 1988.
- 1989: Doctoral program in Agriculture was introduced in Agricultural college & Research Institute, Madurai; Masters program introduced in Forest College & Research Institute, Mettupalayam and Horticultural College & Research Institute, Periyakulam.
- 1990: Master's program in Agriculture was introduced in Agricultural College & Research Institute, Killikulam, Thoothukudi district, Tamil Nadu and Doctoral program in Forest College & Research Institute, Mettupalayam.
- 1998: B.Tech. (Food Process Engineering) introduced as self supporting program.
- 2002: B.Tech. (Horticulture) and B.Tech(Agricultue Biotechnology) introduced as self supporting programs.
- 2004: B.Tech. (Energy and Environmental Engineering) introduced as a self supporting program.
- 2005: Centennial celebrations of AC&RI, Coimbatore.
- 2006: B.Tech. (Bioinformatics) introduced as a self supporting program.
- 2007: B.Tech. (Agricultural Information Technology) and B.S.(Agribusiness Management)introduced as a self supporting programs. Nanotechnology introduced in undergraduate curriculum.
- 2008: Dual Degree Masters Program with Cornell University, Ithaca, USA introduced. Dual degree option with Dalhousie University, Canada established for undergraduate program in B.Tech.(Environmental Landscape Horticulture)
- 2011: B.Sc. (Sericulture) introduced. M.Tech. (Ag.) in Nanotechnology introduced and M.Tech. in Environmental Engineering introduced.
- 2012: Masters program introduced in Plant Genetic Resource and Remote Sensing.
The university offers 13 undergraduate programs, 40 graduate programs and 27 doctoral programs. As the university switched over to the e-learning from the academic year 2007, it was made compulsory for first-year students to procure personal laptops. In 2013 facilities have been created for students to pay fees through State Bank Collect using Internet.
The university has 11 constituent colleges and eight affiliated colleges. Affiliated colleges offer only undergraduate studies.
- College of Agricultural Technology, Theni (Kullapuram)
- Adhiparasakthi Agricultural college, Kalavai
- Vanavarayar Agricultural College, Pollachi
- Thanthai Rover Institute of Agriculture and Rural Development, Perambalur
- Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology, Thanjavur
- PGP College of Agricultural Science, NH-7, Namakkal-637207.
- Imayam Institute of Agricultural Technology, Kannanur, Thuraiyur Tk, Trichy Dt.-621206
- RVS Agricultural College, Usialmpatti, Manaiyeripatti Post, Thanjavur dt.-613 402,
- Don Bosco College of Agriculture, Takkolam, Arakonam (TK), Vellore District
- J.K.K.Munirajah College of Agricultural Science, TN Palayam, Gobi (TK), Erode District.
- Kumaraguru Institute of Agriculture, Sakthi Nagar, Erode District.
- Aravindhar Agricultural Institute of Technology, Thenpallipatty, Kalasapakkam, Thiruvannamalai Dt.
- RVS Horticultural College, RVS Farm, S.Paraipatty Post, Oddanchatram Road, Sembatti, Dindigul District-624701.
- C. Sylendra Babu, Indian Police Service officer of Tamil Nadu cadre
- M. S. Swaminathan, father of Green Revolution in India
- List of universities in India
- Universities and colleges in India
- Education in India
- Distance Education Council
- University Grants Commission (India)
- List of Tamil Nadu Government's Educational Institutions
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tamil Nadu Agricultural University.|