Souza (Stage Name) was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and raised in San Diego, California. She received a Bachelor of Science in Biology from San Diego State University, and received a degree from Mississippi State University's broadcast meteorology program. She earned a pilot's license while in college.
Souza began her career as the morning and noon meteorologist at KHSL in Chico, California. She then became chief meteorologist at WDJT in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Souza later moved to Chicago, where she worked six years at WMAQ, and two years at WTSP in Tampa, Florida. While at WMAQ, she was known for recruiting viewers to provide temperature and rainfall as "weather watchers", and for visiting of gradeschools with an interactive and educational weather presentation called Weather With Class.
After the death of Dick Fletcher, WTSP's longtime chief meteorologist, Souza was hired to be the station's chief meteorologist.
Souza is one of a handful of women nationwide that holds both the prestigious AMS/CBM Seal and the NWA Seal and sits on the boards of both the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association. After her leaving WTSP in 2011, Jim Van Fleet took over with the Chief Meteorologist name.
Awards and nominations
Presented to her by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, Souza has 15 Emmy Nominations and five Emmy Awards, including Best Weathercast, Best Weather and Science Report and for special Live Reporting, as well as a 1st Place award from the Associated Press for a report on Shipwreck Diving in Lake Michigan. The National Association of Black Journalists recognized her with a nomination for her story about fugitive slave ships on Lake Michigan.
Prior to her career in broadcast meteorology, Souza had several small acting roles.
|1988||Assault of the Killer Bimbos||Darlene||film debut|
|1992||Invasion of the Scream Queens||Herself||documentary|
|1988||Freddy's Nightmares||Mary Ann||Episode: No More Mr. Nice Guy|
|1994||Ellen (TV series)||Good-Looking Woman||Episode: The Class Reunion|
| 1994 | Ellen (TV series) | Good-Looking | Episode: The Class Reunion |}
- "AMS List of Certified Broadcast Meteorologists". American Meteorological Society. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- "2001-2002 Emmy Winners". National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. pp. page 7. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- "Proceeds Benefit". page 7. Junior League of Chicago. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- "47th annual Chicago/Midwest Emmy Ceremony". National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. pp. pages 9, 10. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- Rosenthal, Phil (January 10, 2011). "Tammie Souza: 'I will be returning to the airwaves on Fox in Chicago very, very soon'". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2011-01-10.
- "Tammie Souza, Chief Meteorologist". WTSP. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- Rosenthal, Phil (August 31, 2006). "Weather personality joins Fox's a.m. news". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- "Board of Broadcast Meteorology Standing Panel". American Meteorological Society. Retrieved 2009-06-13.