December 14, 1976 |
Bayonne, New Jersey, U.S.
Tammy Blanchard (born December 14, 1976) is an American actress. She has worked primarily in films and television, making her professional start in the soap opera Guiding Light. For her first stage appearance, she played the role of Louise/Gypsy in the 2003 Broadway revival of the musical Gypsy: A Musical Fable, for which she earned both a Tony Award nomination and a Theatre World Award. She received the Emmy Award for her portrayal of a teenage Judy Garland in the television movie Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows. She also appeared as Hedy LaRue in the 2011 Broadway revival of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and was nominated for a 2011 Tony Award for Featured Actress in a Musical for the role.
Life and career
Blanchard was born in Bayonne, New Jersey. She made her professional acting debut on the soap opera Guiding Light in 1997, where she played spoiled rich girl Drew Jacobs. Her role on the show increased over the years, and by the time of her departure in 2000 she had become a major player on the series. She was then cast as the younger version of Judy Davis's Judy Garland in the 2001 television docudrama Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows. She received glowing reviews for her performance and earned an Emmy Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Miniseries. She played Marianne Mulvaney in the Lifetime television movie We Were the Mulvaneys (2002), and was noted for her "fragile strength" by The New York Times reviewer. In 2004, she played Sally Reid in the CBS made-for-television movie, When Angels Come to Town with Peter Falk.
Blanchard earned a Tony Award nomination and a Theatre World Award for her work in her Broadway debut in the 2003 revival of Gypsy: A Musical Fable, in which she played the title role opposite Bernadette Peters.
Blanchard's film roles include The Good Shepherd (2006), starring as the deaf lover of Matt Damon's character; Bella (2006), which took the top prize at the 2006 Toronto International Film Festival; The Ramen Girl (2007); and Deadline (2009). She co-starred with Jessica Lange in the CBS television remake of the 1976 television film Sybil, in which she portrays a woman with DID (Dissociative Identity Disorder). She appeared in the multi-star cast of the television docudrama Living Proof (2008) as the first woman to have been treated with the breast cancer drug Herceptin.
She plays Amy Roberts, the widow of a murderer, in the made-for-television movie Amish Grace, which first aired on the Lifetime Movie Network in March 2010. The movie is based on the Amish school shooting. The Huffington Post noted that "This is an amazing young actress and she deserves to get better and better roles." The Hollywood Reporter noted that Blanchard gives "a moving turn".
Blanchard played the role of "office bombshell Hedy La Rue" in the Broadway revival of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, which opened on March 27, 2011 and closed on May 20, 2012. For this role Blanchard received her second Tony Award nomination for Best Featured Actress in a Musical.
The feature film Union Square, co-written and directed by the Sundance Film Festival's Grand Jury Award Winner, Nancy Savoca, premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in 2011, and is being screened in New York City in July 2012. In it, Blanchard co-stars with Patti Lupone, Mira Sorvino, Mike Doyle, Michael Rispoli and Daphne Rubin-Vega.
Blanchard lives in her hometown of Bayonne and has a daughter, who is 3 years old as of 2011.
- 2003 Theatre World Award (Gypsy: A Musical Fable)
- 2001 Emmy Award - Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie (Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows)
- 2011 Tony Award - Best Featured Actress in a Musical (How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying)
- 2003 Tony Award - Best Featured Actress in a Musical (Gypsy: A Musical Fable)
- 2002 American Film Institute Award - AFI Actor of the Year - Female - Movie or Miniseries (Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows)
- 2002 Golden Globe Award - Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-series or Motion Picture Made for Television (Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows)
- 2002 Satellite Award - Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Miniseries or a Motion Picture Made for Television (Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows)
|2002||Stealing Harvard||Noreen Plummer|
|2006||The Good Shepherd||Laura|
|2008||Cadillac Records||Isabelle Allen|
|2014||Into The Woods||Florinda||Post-Production|
|1997-2000||Guiding Light||Drew Jacobs||43 episodes|
|2001||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Kelly D'Leah||Episode: "Consent"|
|2001||Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows||Judy Garland||Television movie
Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie
Nominated—Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film
Nominated—Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film
|2002||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Sarah Eldon||Episode: "Tomorrow"|
|2002||We Were the Mulvaneys||Marianne Mulvaney||Television movie|
|2004||When Angels Come to Town||Sally Reid||Television movie|
|2008||Living Proof||Nicole Wilson||Television movie|
|2009||Empire State||Beth Cochrane||Television movie|
|2010||Amish Grace||Amy Roberts||Television movie|
|2010||Law & Order||Dana Silva||Episode: "Brazil"|
|2010||The Good Wife||Petra Long||Episode: "Taking Control"|
|2012||A Gifted Man||Louise Mitchell||Episode: "In Case of Heart Failure"|
|2012||The Big C||Giselle||3 episodes|
|2003-2004||Gypsy: A Musical Fable||Louise/Gypsy||Nominated—Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical|
|2011||How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying||Hedy LaRue||Nominated—Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical|
- "2011 Tony Nominations Announced! THE BOOK OF MORMON Leads With 14!". Broadwayworld.com. 2011-05-03. Retrieved 2012-06-17.
- "About GL: About the Actors - Tammy Blanchard". SoapCentral.; "'Guiding Light' alumni". Variety. Jan. 24, 2007.
- Keveney, Bill (February 26, 2001). USA Today. p. 1D.
- Tucker, Ken (December 21, 2001). "Tammy Blanchard & Judy Davis in 'Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows'". Entertainment Weekly.
- Weinraub, Bernard (November 5, 2001). "Subdued Patriotism Replaces Glitter as Television Finally Presents Its Emmys". The New York Times. p. 9. Retrieved December 22, 2012.
- Wertheimer, Ron (April 2, 2002). "The Perfect Family, Until the Night of the High School Dance". The New York Times.
- Information from the IMDB database imdb.com
- Gans, Andrew (May 19, 2003). "Gypsy Tony Nominee Blanchard Gets New Co-star Every 3 Weeks". Playbill.
- "Theatre World award information, 2002-2003". theatreworldawards.org. Retrieved March 24, 2010.
- Jones, Kenneth (June 9, 2003). "Just the Facts: List of 2003 Tony Award Winners". Playbill.
- Hall, Sandra. "Review: 'The Good Shepherd'". smh.com.au, February 20, 2007
- Schembri, Jim. "Review:'Bella'" theage.com.au, February 21, 2008
- Wilmott, Don. "Review". filmcritic.com, July 10, 2009
- Lipton, Brian Scott. "Tammy Blanchard and Jessica Lange's Sybil to Air on June 7". theatermania.com, June 7, 2008
- Tammy Blanchard at the Internet Movie Database
- "Tammy Blanchard-Bayonne Actress in 'Living Proof' on the Lifetime Channel October 18". riverviewobserver.net, October 12, 2008
- Cooper, Jackie K."Amish Grace is a Story of Grace Under Fire".huffingtonpost.com, March 23, 2010
- "'Amish Grace' Actress Follows Her Yellow Brick Road".The River View Observer, March 24, 2010
- ""Amish Grace' listing" mylifetime.com, retrieved March 24, 2010
- Dawn, Randee."Amish Grace -- TV Review" The Hollywood Reporter, March 26, 2010
- Scott, A. O.Charades of Normalcy After Death of a Child" The New York Times, December 16, 2010
- Hetrick, Adam. "Tammy Blanchard, Christopher J. Hanke, Rose Hemingway Join 'How to Succeed' Broadway Revival" Playbill.com, November 15, 2010
- Jones, Kenneth and Gans, Andrew. 2011 Tony Nominations Announced; Book of Mormon Earns 14 Nominations 2011 "Tony Nominations Announced; 'Book of Mormon' Earns 14 Nominations" Playbill.com, May 3, 2011
- Blake, Leslie. "INTERVIEW: Tammy Blanchard Moves Into 'Union Square'", TheaterMania.com, July 14, 2012
- Gans, Andrew. " 'Union Square' Film, Featuring Patti LuPone, Tammy Blanchard, Mira Sorvino, Opens in NYC in July" Playbill.com, June 28, 2012
- Cerbo, Toni-Ann.Bayonne actress in Broadway show" nj.com, March 25, 2011
- WORLD EXCLUSIVE! New Confirmed Casting For the INTO THE WOODS Movie, Starring Streep & Depp Broadway World, Retrieved July 27, 2013
- Tammy Blanchard at the Internet Movie Database
- Tammy Blanchard at the Internet Broadway Database
- Tammy Blanchard at AllRovi
- Tammy Blanchard at the TCM Movie Database
- Playbill.com article June 27, 2003