An example would be:
- ATTCG ATTCG ATTCG
in which the sequence ATTCG is repeated three times.
When exactly two nucleotides are repeated, it is called a dinucleotide repeat (for example: ACACACAC…). The microsatellite instability in hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer most commonly affects such regions.
When three nucleotides are repeated, it is called a trinucleotide repeat (for example: CAGCAGCAGCAG…), and abnormalities in such regions can give rise to trinucleotide repeat disorders.
Tandem repeat describes a pattern that helps determine an individual's inherited traits.
DNA is examined from microsatellites within the chromosomal DNA. Minisatellite is another way of saying special regions of the loci. Polymerase chain reaction (or PCR) is performed on the minisatellite areas. The PCR must be performed on each organism being tested. The amplified material is then run through electrophoresis. By checking the percentage of bands that match, parentage is determined.
- Variable number tandem repeats
- Short tandem repeats
- Satellite DNA
- Tandem Repeats Database
- Amino acid tandem repeat
- Tandem Repeat at the US National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
- Oki, E.; Oda, S.; Maehara, Y.; Sugimachi, K. (1999). "Mutated gene-specific phenotypes of dinucleotide repeat instability in human colorectal carcinoma cell lines deficient in DNA mismatch repair". Oncogene 18 (12): 2143–2147. doi:10.1038/sj.onc.1202583. PMID 10321739.
- Variable Number of Tandem Repeats at the US National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
- Pennisi, E. (Dec 2004). "Genetics. A ruff theory of evolution: gene stutters drive dog shape". Science 306 (5705): 2172–2120. doi:10.1126/science.306.5705.2172. ISSN 0036-8075. PMID 15618495.
- VNTRs - info and animated example
- Search tools:
- Tandem Repeats Finder
- TRED - Tandem Repeats over the Edit Distance
- Microsatellite repeats finder
- JSTRING - Java Search for Tandem Repeats in genomes
- Phobos - a tandem repeat search tool for perfect and imperfect repeats - the maximum pattern size depends only on computational power
- UGENE - an ultra fast and memory efficient open-source tandem repeats finder implementation.