- This article is about the city. For the district, see Tangail District.
|Tangail, Dhaka, Bangladesh.|
|Upazila||Tangail Sadar Upazila|
|• Chairman||Jamilur Rahman Miron|
|Elevation||14 m (46 ft)|
|Time zone||DST (UTC+6)|
Tangail (Bengali: টাঙ্গাইল) is a town in the Tangail District, in the central region of Bangladesh. It consists of 5 corporations, 8 municipalities, 72 wards, and 211 mahallas. It is located on the banks of Louhajang River, and is part of the Dhaka Division.Tangail is famous worldwide for Cham cham and handloom Sari called Tangail Sari
Before the Liberation War, some educational institutions were established by notable persons in Tangail. Among those schools are Bindubasini Government Boys' High School (1880) and Bindubasini Government Girls' High School (1882). In 1926, the Sa'dat Government University College, Korotia, was established by Wazed Ali Khan Panni, a zamindar and one of the most prominent educationalists of Tangail. M.M. Ali Government College was established by Maulana Vasani at Kagmari (About 5 km away from the main city). Kumudini College was established in 1943 by Ranada Prasad Saha, a philanthropist of Tangail. Later the college was converted into Kumudini Government Women's College.
Currently, there are 5 government-run high schools in the city. Among those schools are the two Bindubasini Government schools (situated in the center of the town) as well as a Technical University 
Tangail now has a station on a new broad gauge line of Bangladesh Railways which connects the western and eastern systems via the Jamuna Bridge. There is also a connecting road. Bus services are available from Mohakhali bus terminal such as Nirala super service, Jhatika paribahan, Dhalesswary and many more.
The dessert known as Cham Cham originated with Porabari of Tangail. The sweet is very popular in the Indian subcontinent.
- Maulana Abdul Hamid Khan Bhashani, Popular political leader in Pakistan and Bangladesh
- Abdul Mannan, Home and Health and Family Planning Minister of Bangladesh (1972-1975). He was one of the important organisers for Mujib Nagar Govt of 17th April 1971 at Meherpur. He was M.N.A incharge of Shadhin Bangla Betar Kendra. He was Presidium member of Bangladesh Awami League and worked as acting President of Bangladesh Awami League in absence of Party Chief Sheikh Hasina. He became M.P for the last time from Tangail-5 constituency in 1996 to 2001. He established and inaugurated Tangail Sadar Hospital with the help of an Swiss architect.He established Katoli High School, Atiya women's High School, Sheikh Fajilatunnessa women's High School, Tangail Science and technical University and many more. He had a dream to establish a Medical College in Tangail.
- Muhammad Abdul Bari, secretary of the Muslim Council of Britain.
- Kader Siddique, known as "Tiger Siddique", incumbent MP and founder/leader of Kaderia Bahini, one of Mukti Bahini groups active in 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War.
- Nawab Ali Chowdhury, one of the members of the Nathan commission to establish Dhaka University.
- Justice Abu Sayed Chowdhury, former president, Bangladesh, Vice chancellor of Dhaka University.
- Mawlana Bhashani University of Science and Technology Mawlana Bhashani University of Science and Technology
- "Profile: Dr Muhammad Abdul Bari". BBC NEWS - BBC. 2006-06-05. Retrieved 2008-12-06.