From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up tangent in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Tangent may refer to:
- A tangent, in geometry, is a straight line through a point on a curve that has the same direction at that point as the curve.
- There are analogous concepts for surfaces and higher-dimensional smooth manifolds, such as the tangent space.
- More generally, in geometry, two curves are said to be tangent when they intersect at a given point and have the same direction at that point; see for instance tangent circles.
- A bitangent is a line that is tangent to two different curves, or tangent twice to the same curve.
- In trigonometry, the tangent function is one of the six basic trigonometric functions
- Tangent (clavichord), a part of the action of the clavichord that both initiates and sustains a tone, and helps determine pitch
- Tangent (tangent piano), a part of the action of the tangent piano that only initiates the sound by striking the string(s) and rebounding immediately in the manner of a piano
- The Tangent, an international progressive rock supergroup
- Tangents: The Tea Party Collection, a compilation album from The Tea Party released in 2000.
- Tangents: 1973–1983, a compilation box set from Tangerine Dream released in 1994.
- Tangent Comics, a short-lived imprint of DC Comics
- The Tangent Universe, the alternate universe in time travel in the cult film Donnie Darko
- Tangent (Stargate SG-1), an episode of the television series Stargate SG-1
- Tangents (film) or Time Chasers, a 1994 science fiction film
- Tangents (collection), a collection of science fiction stories by Greg Bear
- Tangent (club) an international social networking group for women over 45 who are former members of Ladies Circle, part of the Round Table (club) Family
- Tangent, Oregon, a city in Linn County, Oregon, United States
- In highway and railroad design, a tangent is a straight section of road or track; see track transition curve.
- Metaphorically, a theoretical concept can be described as tangent to another theoretical concept if they touch each other in some ways but are generally distinct.
- Tangent, Alberta, a hamlet in Alberta, Canada
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.