Tanigawa service operated by an E4 series
|First service||15 November 1982 (Limited express)
1 October 1997 (Shinkansen)
|Current operator(s)||JR East|
|Line used||Joetsu Shinkansen|
|Class(es)||Green + standard|
|Catering facilities||Trolley service|
|Rolling stock||E2 series, E4 series|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Electrification||25 kV AC, 50 Hz|
|Operating speed||240 km/h (150 mph)|
Former rolling stock
- 185 series EMUs (15 November 1982 - September 1997)
- E1 series (Max Tanigawa) (until September 2012)
- 200 series 10-car "K" sets (1 October 1997 - 15 March 2013)
From 1 October 1997, the name (written as "たにがわ") was used for the all-stations services between Tokyo and Echigo-Yuzawa on the Jōetsu Shinkansen, replacing the previous Toki all-stations services. During the winter skiing season, trains terminate and start at the seasonal Gala-Yuzawa Station.
- JR Timetable, December 2008
- JR新幹線＆特急列車ファイル [JR Shinkansen & Limited Express Train File]. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. 2008. ISBN 978-4-330-00608-6.
- "上越新幹線でE2系の定期運用再開" [E2 series returns to regular duties on Joetsu Shinkansen]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 27 January 2013. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- 列車名鑑1995 [Train Name Directory 1995]. Japan: Railway Journal. August 1995.
- Ｅ２系車両を上越新幹線に投入！ [E2 series trains to be introduced on Joetsu Shinkansen] (PDF). News Release (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 16 November 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- 200 series Yamabiko/Toki/Nasuno/Tanigawa (Japanese)
- E1 series Max Toki/Max Tanigawa (Japanese)
- E4 series Max Toki/Max Tanigawa (Japanese)