No. 59 Cleveland Browns
|Date of birth:January 18, 1989|
|Place of birth: Sweeny, Texas|
|High school: Sweeny (TX)|
|College: Texas Christian|
|NFL Draft: 2012 / Round: 5 / Pick: 147|
|Debuted in 2012 for the Cleveland Browns|
|Roster status: Active|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2013
Tank Carder (born January 18, 1989) is an American football linebacker for the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League. Carder played college football at TCU. He was a 2010 All-American selection by the American Football Coaches Association.
When he was 10 years old, Carder was a BMX World Champion.
In the 2011 Rose Bowl, Carder was named Defensive MVP of the Game. He batted down a two-point conversion pass late in the fourth quarter that would have tied the game to go into overtime but secured the win for TCU with a final score of 19-21.
On November 21, 2012, Carder sent a tweet calling another Twitter user a “faggot,” leading to calls that he be fined and suspended. The tweet was in response to a tweet about Call of Duty made by a satirical comedy account. Carder stood by his statements, tweeting “I don’t agree with being gay or lesbian at all, but saying faggot doesn’t make me a homophobe, it’s just a word.” Carder has since deleted the tweets and apologized, claiming his tweets did not reflect his character. The NFL did not impose any suspensions or fines.
- Evans, Thayer (January 4, 2010). "From Broken Boy to T.C.U. Tackler". The New York Times.
- "Oregon's James Headlines 2010 FBS Coaches' All-America Team". AFCA. November 29, 2010.
- "Storied past just part of Carder's tale". Buffalo News. April 29, 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-30.
- "Tank Carder Recruiting Profile". Rivals.com.
- "Carder comes up clutch". FOX Sports on MSN. January 1, 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "TCU LB Tank Carder Drafted By Buffalo Bills". CBSLocal.com. April 30, 2012. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Ingro, Sam (September 4, 2012). "Cleveland Browns Waiver Pickup Tank Carder Could Play Big Role Early in Season". BuckEyeStateSports.com. Retrieved 2014-07-10.
- Zeigler, Cyd. "Cleveland Browns linebacker Tank Carder Tweets ‘faggot,’ doesn’t agree with being gay". OutSports.com. Vox Media, Inc. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Zeigler, Cyd. "Tank Carder thinks you’re an idiot, issues non-apology". Outsports.com. Vox Media, Inc. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Newell, Sean. "Browns Linebacker Tank Carder Follows Awful Comedy Accounts On Twitter, Tells One "Your A Faggot" When He Misses The Joke". DeadSpin.com. Gawker Media. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Brathwaite, Lester. "Cleveland Browns Linebacker Tweets F-Bomb Doesn’t "Agree" With Being Gay". Queerty.com. Queerty, Inc.
- Smith, Michael David. "Browns’ Tank Carder apologizes for using homophobic slur". nbcsports.com. NBC Sports. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Reed, Tom (26 November 2012). "Cleveland Browns rookie apologizes for anti-gay remark on Twitter". Cleveland Plain Dealer. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • ESPN • Pro-Football-Reference
- Cleveland Browns bio
- NFL Combine bio
- TCU Horned Frogs bio