Tanner Lectures on Human Values
The Tanner Lectures on Human Values is a multiversity lecture series in the humanities, founded on July 1, 1978, at Clare Hall, Cambridge University, by the American scholar Obert Clark Tanner. In founding the lecture, he defined their purpose as follows:
I hope these lectures will contribute to the intellectual and moral life of mankind. I see them simply as a search for a better understanding of human behavior and human values. This understanding may be pursued for its own intrinsic worth, but it may also eventually have practical consequences for the quality of personal and social life.
It is considered one of the top lecture series among top universities, and being appointed a lectureship is a recognition of the scholar's "extra-ordinary achievement" in the field of human values.
Permanent lectureships are established at the following nine institutions:
- Linacre College, Oxford
- University of California, Berkeley
- Clare Hall, Cambridge
- Harvard University
- University of Michigan
- Princeton University
- Stanford University
- University of Utah
- Yale University
- Southern Utah University
|This section requires expansion. (April 2014)|
- 1998 (Oxford): Michael Sandel—What Money Can't Buy: The Moral Limits of Markets
- 2000–2001 (Berkeley): Joseph Raz—The Practice of Value
- 2001–2002 (Berkeley): Sir Frank Kermode
- 2010 (Cambridge): Susan J. Smith–Care-full markets – Miracle or Mirage?
- 2011–2012 (Berkeley): Samuel Scheffler—The Afterlife
- 2012 (Stanford): John M. Cooper
- 2013 (Oxford): Michael Ignatieff—Representation and Responsibility: Ethics and Public Office
- 2013 (Berkeley): Frances Kamm
- 2014 (Harvard): Archbishop Rowan Williams–The Paradox of Empathy
- 2014 (Oxford): Shami Chakrabarti—Human Rights as Human Values (upcoming)
- 2014 (Cambridge): Peter Galison—"Science, Secrecy and the Private Self" (upcoming)
- 2015 (Michigan): Ruth Bader Ginsburg—"A Conversation with Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States"
Notes and references
- "Tanner Lectures and Philosophy". University of Utah Press. Archived from the original on 2007-05-22. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "The Lectures". University of Utah. Archived from the original on 2007-07-11. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- Jaschik, Scott. "Are college faculty too liberal?". Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Universities and Colleges". University of Utah. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Past Lectures". The Tanner Lectures on Human Values at University of California Berkeley. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "The 2010 Tanner Lectures". Cambridge University. 3 November 2010. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "2011–2012 Lecture Series". The Tanner Lectures on Human Values at University of California Berkeley. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Zaw, Catherine (27 January 2012). "John Cooper delivers 2012 Tanner Lecture". The Stanford Daily. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "Tanner Lectures". Linacre College, Oxford University. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Tanner Lectures website
- Michigan Law School events page