Tansy Rayner Roberts
Tansy Rayner Roberts (22 May 1978, Hobart, Tasmania) is an award-winning Australian fantasy writer. She holds a Bachelor of Arts (Hons), and completed a PhD in Classics in 2007, both from the University of Tasmania. Roberts's short stories have been published in a variety of genre magazines, including Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine and Aurealis. In 1998, Roberts won the inaugural George Turner Prize for Splashdance Silver, awarded to an unpublished Australian science fiction/fantasy novel each year. Set in the comic fantasy world of 'Mocklore', Splashdance Silver was published by Bantam in 1998. A sequel, Liquid Gold, and the chapbook novelette Hobgoblin Boots are also both set in 'Mocklore'. In 2007 her children's novel Seacastle was published by ABC Books. Seacastle is the first book in the seven-part children's book series The Lost Shimmaron, sold to ABC Books by Australian writers group wRiters On the Rise (RoR). In May 2010 Power and Majesty, Book One of the Creature Court trilogy, was published by HarperCollins Voyager. Roberts has described the Creature Court trilogy as a combination of two fantasy sub-genres: court fantasy and urban fantasy.
Roberts was one of the founding members of Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine and edited issues 9 in 2003 and issue 23 in 2006. She also co-edited AustrAlien Absurdities (Agog! Press) with Chuck McKenzie, an anthology of humorous Australian speculative fiction in 2002.
In 2010, Roberts won the WSFA Small Press Award for her novella Siren Beat, published by Twelfth Planet Press in 2009. Siren Beat was also nominated for the Australian Aurealis Awards for Best fantasy Short Story.
Novels and longer works
- Splashdance Silver, (1998), Bantam.
- Liquid Gold, (1999), Bantam.
- Hobgoblin Boots, (2004), Scrybe Press.
- Seacastle, (2007), Book 1 of The Lost Shimmaron series, ABC Books.
- Power and Majesty, (2010), Book 1 of Creature Court, Harper Voyager.
- The Shattered City, (2011), Book 2 of Creature Court, Harper Voyager.
- Reign of Beasts, (2012), Book 3 of Creature Court, Harper Voyager.
- Lucky Tart, (2006), Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, #26.
- Scandal at the Feast of Saturn, (2006), New Ceres, #1.
- Rosebuds, (2006), In Agog! Ripping Reads, ed. Cat Sparks, Agog! Press.
- Fruit and Mirrors, (2006), Aurealis, #36, Chimaera Publications.
- Holding out for a Hero, (2006), The Outcast, ed. Nicole R. Murphy, Canberra Speculative Fiction Guild.
- Delta Void and the Stray God, (2005), Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, #16.
- Garments of the Dead, (2004), Aurealis, #32.
- Memo for Flight Attendants, (2003), Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, #7.
- Fairy Tale Blues, (2002), Potato Monkey, #2.
- Somewhere Over the Looking Glass, (2002), Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, #4.
- Immortality Crack’d, (2002), Twilight Times, #18.
- Swansong, (2002), Fiction Inferno, August.
- Cendrillon and the Chromium Prince, (2002) In Machinations: An Anthology of Ingenious Designs, ed. Chris Andrews, Canberra Speculative Fiction Guild.
- Delta Void and the Clockwork Man, (2002), In Agog! Fantastic Fiction, ed. Cat Sparks, Agog! Press 2002)
- Fairy Godmother Express, (2002), Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, #1.
- Delta Void and the Unicorn Soup, (2002), In AustrAlien Absurdities, eds. Chuck McKenzie and Tansy Rayner Roberts, Agog! Press.
- Faces of the Elit, (2001), Twilight Times, #14.
- Black Holes, (2001), Eotu Ezine, v2 #4.
- Sold my soul to the devil, mum, (2001), Writer's Radio, July, 5UV Adelaide.
- Tasting, the Alien, (2001), Writer's Radio, June, 5UV Adelaide.
- Pygmalion's Flesh, (2001), Antipodean Sci-Fi, #35.
- Romancing the WWW, (1999), Orb #0.
- The Glamoured Girl, (1999), Harbinger #4.
- Once Upon a Literal Legend, (1999), Harbinger #2.
- Manipulation, (1998), Under Magellanic Clouds, #4.
- Tansy Rayner Roberts' livejournal
- Tansy Rayner Roberts' home page
- Page Loves Books Podcast Interview
- Aus Lit Interview
- Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine
- Tansy Rayner Roberts at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database