Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
|Tantei Opera Milky Holmes|
Cover of first BD/DVD volume of the television anime series. From left to right: Sherlock Shellingford (with Kamaboko), Nero Yuzurizaki, Cordelia Glauca and Hercule Barton.
(Tantei Opera Mirukī Hōmuzu)
|Genre||Detective, Mystery, Comedy|
|Illustrated by||Sorahiro Mizushima|
|Published by||Kadokawa Shoten|
|Original run||May 2010 – January 2011|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Makoto Moriwaki|
|Written by||Kazuyuki Fudeyasu|
|Music by||Satoru Kousaki|
|Original run||October 7, 2010 – December 23, 2010|
|Episodes||12 (+1 special)|
|Tantei Opera Milky Holmes: Overture|
|Written by||Hideaki Koyasu|
|Illustrated by||Natsuki Tanihara
|Published by||ASCII Media Works|
|Published||December 10, 2010|
|Anime television series|
|Tantei Opera Milky Holmes: Act 2|
|Directed by||Makoto Moriwaki|
|Written by||Kazuyuki Fudeyasu|
Animation Studio Artland
|Original run||January 5, 2012 – March 22, 2012|
|Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2|
|Original video animation|
|Tantei Opera Milky Holmes Alternative|
Animation Studio Artland
|Released||August 25, 2012 – January 9, 2013|
|Anime television series|
|Futari wa Milky Holmes|
|Directed by||Hiroshi Nishikiori|
|Written by||Hideki Shirane|
|Original run||July 13, 2013 – September 28, 2013|
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes (探偵オペラ ミルキィホームズ Tantei Opera Mirukii Hōmuzu?) is a media franchise owned by the Japanese trading card game company Bushiroad. The first release was an Internet radio drama, released in December 2009. An anime adaptation by J.C.Staff aired between October and December 2010, with a special episode aired on August 26, 2011. The second anime season aired between January and March 2012 with another special aired on August 25, 2012. A third series, titled Futari wa Milky Holmes, aired between July and September 2013. Other media includes a manga adaptation serialized in Comp Ace between May 2010 and January 2011; two visual novels, released for the PlayStation Portable in December 2010 and August 2012 respectively; a trading card game tie-in with Bushiroad's Weiß Schwarz; and a light novel series published by ASCII Media Works under their Dengeki Bunko label.
The series is a homage to the detective fiction genre, with the four female leads named after famous fictional detectives: Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe, Hercule Poirot and Cordelia Gray. Milky Holmes is also the name of a voice acting unit consisting of the series' four main voice actresses; Suzuko Mimori, Sora Tokui, Mikoi Sasaki and Izumi Kitta.
Set in the near future in the Great Era of Detectives, chosen people are born with supernatural abilities known as Toys (トイズ Toizu?). Those who use these Toys for evil are responsible for a wave of crimes and necessitate employing Toy-using detectives to help solve them. In the Yokohama District, Opera Kobayashi runs a detective agency named Milky Holmes, made up of four budding young detectives, Sherlock Shellingford, Nero Yuzurizaki, Hercule Barton and Cordelia Glauca, who each wield their own unique toys and train to become detectives at Holmes Detective Academy.
The video game casts players in the role of Kobayashi, who must utilise Milky Holmes' unique abilities to stop the Thieves' Empire, a band of thieves led by the mysterious Arséne. The second puts players in the role of another detective, Ellery Himeyuri. The Alternative TV specials also take place in this universe, in which Kobayashi and Milky Holmes are assisted by another Toy user, Lily Adler, in fighting against the Thieves' Empire whilst visiting London.
In the first two television anime series, the four girls of Milky Holmes, Sherlock, Nero, Hercule and Cordelia, end up losing their Toys during an encounter with the Thieves' Empire. Taken away from their rich lifestyle and thrown into an attic, the girls must try and regain use of their Toys or else face expulsion from Holmes Detective Academy.
Futari wa Milky Holmes, which takes place two years after the other series, follows two young girls, Alice and Kazumi, who, inspired by Milky Holmes, form their own detective unit, Feathers, and fight against a group of thieves known as the Color the Phantom.
Many of the characters are named after characters from detective novels.
- Sherlock "Sheryl" Shellingford (シャーロック・シェリンフォード Shārokku Sherinfōdo?)
- Voiced by: Suzuko Mimori
- The airheaded leader of Milky Holmes. She's known to be particularly clumsy but is always caring. Her Toys give her the power of telekinesis.
- Nero Yuzurizaki (譲崎 ネロ Yuzurizaki Nero?)
- Voiced by: Sora Tokui
- An obnoxious girl with a hefty appetite. She speaks with the masculine term 'boku' and is very selfish, often talking down on others while comforting her own greed. Her Toys allows her to control machines using a small piece of metal.
- Hercule "Elly" Barton (エルキュール・バートン Erukyūru Bāton?)
- Voiced by: Mikoi Sasaki
- A very shy girl who is easily embarrassed. She often tries to be the voice of reason, but her timid nature means she's often ignored and yelled at afterwards. Her Toys gives her superhuman strength.
- Cordelia Glauca (コーデリア・グラウカ Kōderia Gurauka?)
- Voiced by: Izumi Kitta
- A blonde girl who often gets delusional concerning the relationship within the group. She tends to get rather out of control whenever she is scared, particularly of the dark. Her Toys allows her to see and hear things others cannot.
- Opera Kobayashi (小林 オペラ Kobayashi Opera?)
- Voiced by: Shūta Morishima
- The main protagonist of the first PSP game who also appears in the Alternative specials. He is said to be the person who trained Milky Holmes. His name is based after Yoshio Kobayashi. In the PSP game, he lost his Toys.
- Ellery Himeyuri (エラリー・姫百合 Erarī Himeyuri?)
- Voiced by: Natsumi Takamori
- The main protagonist of the Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2 PSP game, who also appears in episode 8 of Futari wa Milky Holmes. Formerly a police officer who suddenly gained Toys, she was put in charge of Milky Holmes. Her Induction Toys allow her to mimic the abilities of other people's Toys and use them to their full extent.
- Kamaboko (かまぼこ Kamaboko (lit. Fish Paste)?)
- Voiced by: Hiro Shimono
- A stray cat the girls find and keep inside the attic.
A pair of detectives who are the protagonists of the third anime season, Futari wa Milky Holmes.
- Alice Myojingawa (明神川 アリス Myojingawa Arisu?)
- Voiced by: Ayasa Itō
- One half of Feathers who, unlike Kazumi, is not a student at Holmes Detective Academy. Her Toys give her the ability to produce barriers. Unbeknownst to her, her family comes from a line of gentleman thieves.
- Kazumi Tokiwa (常盤 カズミ Tokiwa Kazumi?)
- Voiced by: Aimi Terakawa
- Alice's partner in Feathers. Her Toys lets her produce a bow and arrow out of light which, when combined with Alice's barrier Toys, become more powerful.
- Henriette Mystère (アンリエット・ミステール Anrietto Misutēru?) / Arsène (アルセーヌ Arusēnu?)
- Voiced by: Satomi Akesaka
- The well-endowed leader of the Gentlemen Thieves whose Toys can cast illusions. She is currently undercover as the Student Council President at Holmes's Academy. She craves strong opponents such as Sherlock to fight against, so when Milky Holmes lose their Toys, she strives to help them to return to their most powerful states so they can satisfy her. It is well implied that her team mates have a crush on her. When not in her school uniform, she generally wears outfits that show off her chest.
- Souseki Ishinagare (石流 漱石 Ishinagare Sōseki?) / Stone River (ストーンリバー Sutōn Ribā?)
- Voiced by: Takuma Terashima
- A stern man who battles with a katana. His Toys allow him to immobilize an opponent. Works undercover at Holmes Detective Academy as a school janitor or chef.
- Kai Nijuuri (二十里 海 Nijuuri Kai?) / Twenty (トゥエンティ Tuenti?)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Kishio
- A crafty magician who uses various English words and attacks using cards. He is wildly perverted and constantly shows off his erect nipples to the chagrin of the students. His Toys allows him to disguise himself perfectly. Undercover as a teacher, his name is based after Edogawa Rampo's Fiend of Twenty Faces.
- Jiro Nezu (根津 次郎 Nezu Jiro?) / Rat (ラット Ratto?)
- Voiced by: Hiro Shimono
- A young boy with a Flame Toy used for lighting various explosives. Undercover as a classmate.
- Josephine Mystère (ジョセフィーヌ・ミステール Josafīnu Misutēru?) / Cagliostro (カリオストロ Kariosutoro?)
- Voiced by: Asami Sanada
- Henriette's older sister who appears in the 2nd PSP game. During the game, she acts as student council president and assigns Ellery to be in charge of Milky Holmes.
Color the Phantom
An antagonist group who appears in Futari wa Milky Holmes.
- Shion Myojingawa (明神川 シオン Myojingawa Shion?) / Violet Shadow (バイオレット・シャドウ Baioretto Shadō?)
- Voiced by: Kazuyuki Okitsu
- Alice's older brother, who is secretly the leader of Color the Phantom. He often worries about Alice becoming a detective.
- Great White Fallen Angel (偉大な白き堕天使 Idaina Shiroki Datenshi?) and Darkside Revolution (ダークサイドレボリューション Dākusaido Reboryūshon?)
- Voiced by: Yuka Ōtsubo and Yuka Takakura
- The white and black phantoms who assist Shion by collecting data.
- Red Lion of the Gale (疾風の赤き獅子 Hayate no Akakishishi?)
- Voiced by: Taishi Murata
- A cocky phantom thief whose Toys let him use a whip.
- Ryōko Komatsu (リョウコ・コマツ?) / Yellow Black Hole (イエロー・ブラックホール Ierō Burakku Hōru?)
- Voiced by: Aya Hisakawa
- A female detective who is actually a phantom thief, constantly trying to bring Alice to the side of the phantom thieves. Her Toys allow her to create black holes anywhere using a GPS device.
- The Fearsome Blue Hunter (戦慄なる青き狩人 Senritsunaru Aoki Kariudo?)
- A phantom thief who appears in the public eye as a news critic. His Toys allow him to create holographic duplicates of himself to confuse his opponents.
- Keiko Totsugawa (十津川 警子 Totsugawa Keiko?) / Pink Lovely Doom (麗しき破滅の桃 Uruwashiki Hametsu no Momo?)
- Voiced by: Ikumi Nakagami
- Kokoro's police partner, who is secretly the group's real mastermind. Her Toys cause people to forget things about her.
- Visconte (ビスコンテ Bisukonte?)
- Voiced by: Hiroki Tōchi
- Alice's father, who is secretly a legendary thief who has returned to action after ten years.
- Madame Visconte (マダム・ビスコンテ Madamu Bisukonte?)
- Voiced by: Sayaka Ohara
- Alice's mother, who is also Visconte's partner.
- Kokoro Akechi (明智 小衣 Akechi Kokoro?)
- Voiced by: Yoshino Nanjō
- The leader of Genius 4 (known as G4 for short), a police investigation unit. She is a bossy girl who looks down on Milky Holmes since they lost their Toys and always claims to boast a massive IQ. A running gag involves her smacking Sherlock with a golden mask whenever she calls her "Kokoro-chan". She claims to have graduated from Harvard University at the age of 13.
- Hirano Hasegawa (長谷川 平乃 Hasegawa Hirano?)
- Voiced by: Ryōko Shintani
- A polite girl who can deal a sleep-inducing karate chop.
- Saku Tooyama (遠山 咲 Tōyama Saku?)
- Voiced by: Yukari Tamura
- A soft spoken girl who wears headphones. She loves retro technology and is almost always seen with a lollipop in her mouth.
- Rei Kamitsu (神津 玲 Kamitsu Rei?)
- Voiced by: Susumu Chiba
- The head of G4. His name is based on Kyōsuke Kamitsu.
- Mori Arty (森・アーティ Mori Āti?)
- Voiced by: Motoki Takagi
- A mysterious transfer student with a feminine appearance but masculine voice.
- Irene Doala (アイリーン・ドアラー Airīn Doarā?)
- Voiced by: Sayuri Yahagi
- A young but wily girl who likes Kokoro and often kidnaps her for her own desires and plans to help her businessman father.
- Buta (ブー太 Būta?)
- Voiced by: Shintaro Oohata as Buta, Rikiya Koyama as God of Lard
- A fat, pig-like boy who is obsessed with eating lard and is often wrongly accused by Milky Holmes of being a culprit. He renamed himself as God of Lard when he ends up gaining powers from the Toys that Sherlock Holmes had sealed away, he steals all the lard from the city, using it to change into a more powerful and handsome form
- Lily Adler (リリー・アドラー Rirī Adorā?)
- Voiced by: Kana Asumi
- A girl who appears in the Alternate episodes. Her Toys allow her to manipulate ice.
An anime adaptation of Tantei Opera Milky Holmes by J.C. Staff aired between October 7, 2010 and December 23, 2010 and was also streamed by Crunchyroll. A special episode aired in August 2011. A second anime season co-produced by Animation Studio Artland, titled Tantei Opera Milky Holmes: Act 2 (探偵オペラ ミルキィホームズ 第2幕 Tantei Opera Miruki Hōmuzu Dai-ni Maku?) aired in Japan from January 5, 2012 to March 23, 2012 and was streamed by Nico Nico. A third season, titled Futari wa Milky Holmes (ふたりはミルキィホームズ?, lit. The Two of Us are Milky Holmes), co-produced with Nomad, aired between July 13, 2013 and September 28, 2013, alongside live action segments featuring the cast. The series is set two years following the other series and focuses on a new pair of protagonists.
A TV special episode based on the PSP games, titled Tantei Opera Milky Holmes Alternative One ~Opera Kobayashi and the Five Paintings (探偵オペラ ミルキィホームズ Alternative ONE～小林オペラと5枚の絵画～ Tantei Opera Miruki Hōmuzu Alternative ONE ~Kobayashi Opera to Go-mai no Kaiga?), was streamed on Nico Nico Douga between August 19 and August 25, 2012, before airing on Tokyo MX on August 25, 2012. A follow up special, Tantei Opera Milky Holmes Alternative Two ~Opera Kobayashi and the Raven of the Empty Sky~ (探偵オペラ ミルキィホームズ Alternative TWO ～小林オペラと虚空の大鴉 Tantei Opera Miruki Hōmuzu Alternative TWO ~Kobayashi Opera to Kokū no Ōgarasu~?), was announced and both Alternative episodes were released on Blu-ray and DVD on January 9, 2013.
For the first season, the opening theme is "The Answer Is One! Not!!" (正解はひとつ!じゃない!! Seikai wa Hitotsu! Janai!!?) by Milky Holmes (Suzuko Mimori, Izumi Kitta, Sora Tokui and Mikoi Sasaki), whilst the ending theme is "Instinct Doubt" (本能のDOUBT Honnou no DOUBT?) by Faylan. The ending theme for the TV special is "Party Party!" (パーティーパーティー! Pātī Pātī!?) by Milky Holmes. For the second series, the opening theme is "Nazo! Nazo? Happiness!!" (ナゾ！ナゾ？Happiness!!?) by Milky Holmes whilst the ending theme is "Lovely Girls Anthem" by Natsuko Aso. For Futari wa Milky Holmes, the opening theme is "Glory Glowing☆Days" (ぐろーりーぐろーいん☆DAYS Gurōri Gurōin Deizu?) by Milky Holmes whilst the ending theme is "Seishun Beginner!" (セイシュンビギナー! Seishun Biginā!?) by Milky Holmes Feathers (Ayasa Itō and Aimi Terakawa).
A maxi single, Colorful Garden, was released on April 6, 2011.
A visual novel developed by Bushiroad was released on PlayStation Portable on December 16, 2010.Players play the role of Opera Kobayashi, who must train Milky Holmes to be great detectives and use their abilities to stop thieves. The game's second chapter, Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 1.5 was released on September 29, 2011 from the PlayStation Store. A sequel, Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 2, was released on August 23, 2012, casting players in the role of a new protagonist named Ellery Himeyuri. A new Videogame based on the Animated Series was announced by Bushiroad in July 2013. The Game is a Music-based game, the Platform of release is unknow and the game will be released during 2014. 
The four main characters of Milky Holmes appear briefly in many different episodes of Cardfight!! Vanguard as cameos where they are simply shown in the background. The voice actresses also make a cameo as the Milky Holmes in episode 23 of Fire Leon, a live action series also produced by Bushiroad. In this scene, Suzuko Mimori portrays both Sherlock Shellingford and Yû Kusayanagi, a recurring character of the series.
- "Bushiroad Confirms Tantei Opera Milky Holmes Anime". Anime News Network. 2009-12-10. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Milky Holmes anime gets 2nd season in January 2012". Anime News Network. 2011-08-20. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- "Detective Opera Milky Holmes Gets 3rd TV Anime This Summer". Anime News Network. 2013-01-24. Retrieved 2013-01-24.
- "Milky Holmes TV Anime to Get Special This Summer". Anime News Network. February 27, 2011. Retrieved August 27, 2011.
- "Milky Holmes 2 TV Anime, PSP Game Slated for 2012 - News - Anime News Network:UK". Anime News Network. 2012-07-22. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Niconico to Stream High School DxD, Symphogear, Milky Holmes 2 (Update 2) - News - Anime News Network:UK". Anime News Network. 2012-07-22. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Milky Holmes Gets New TV Anime Special This Summer - News - Anime News Network:UK". Anime News Network. 2012-07-22. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Milky Holmes Alternative One to Be Streamed Before Airing". Anime News Network. 2012-07-30. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "Milky Holmes Gets 2nd Alternative TV Anime Special". Anime News Network. 2012-09-23. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- "2nd Milky Holmes Season's Ending Sung by Natsuko Aso". Anime News Network. 2011-11-15. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "探偵オペラミルキィホームズ(通常版)" (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- "Detective Opera Milky Holmes 1.5 Demo Posted for Free". Anime News Network. August 25, 2011. Retrieved August 27, 2011.
- "Detective Opera Milky Holmes 2 PSP's Opening Streamed - Interest - Anime News Network:UK". Anime News Network. 2012-07-22. Retrieved 2012-07-26.