Tanya Morgan during a photo shoot in April 2009
|Origin||Cincinnati, Ohio and Brooklyn, New York, United States|
Tanya Morgan is an American hip hop group, which consists of MCs Donwill and Ilyas, and MC/producer Von Pea. Both Donwill and Ilyas are from Cincinnati, Ohio, while Von Pea is from Brooklyn, New York. Their third studio album, Rubber Souls was released on September 24, 2013.
Tanya Morgan was founded in 2003. Von Pea and Donwill, already regular collaborators after having met on the okayplayer.com message board, decided to work on a full-length album together. Ilyas, who along with Donwill comprised a hip-hop duo known as Ilwill, joined the project as a third member, and producer Brickbeats was brought in to work on the album as well. Since Von Pea lived in Brooklyn and both Donwill and Ilyas lived in Cincinnati, the trio did much of the work on their first album by exchanging files across AOL Instant Messenger.
Prior to releasing their debut album Moonlighting, Tanya Morgan released an online mixtape, Sunlighting, and an EP of original material, Sunset. After Tanya Morgan was featured in XXL Magazine's "Show and Prove" column, Moonlighting was released on Loud Minority Music. The album received 3.5 mics (out of 5) in The Source magazine, an entry in the Chairman's Choice column in XXL, and coverage in Wax Poetics magazine and several other publications and websites.
The group released the first MySpace-themed video for their single "We Be", and it went on to win MTVu's Freshman of the Week contest in July 2006. The "We Be" video was resultantly aired on channels such as MTV Jams, Much Music and nyctv's The Bridge.
Tanya Morgan has collaborated with hip-hop acts such as Nicolay, Fat Jon, 88 Keys and Drake. The group performed at Toronto's NXNE Festival with Nouveau Riche, and the Brooklyn Hip Hop Festival with Ghostface Killah, Large Professor, Consequence, and others. Tanya Morgan is also a regular at New York's annual CMJ Festival.
Tanya Morgan was voted the winner of the "Show Us What You Got" Hip-Hop Artist Competition, held on October 25, 2007 at the Power Summit in Las Vegas, Nevada. They were also featured in XXL's "Chairman's Choice" in September 2008, and named in XXLMag.com's Top Ten Artists in July of the same year. 2008 also saw the release of their EP The Bridge. More recently Tanya Morgan recorded Brooklynati, an album and coinciding multi-media project released May 12, 2009 on Interdependent Media.
As of May 2011, Ilyas is no longer a member of Tanya Morgan.
- 2005: Sunset (EP)
- 2006: Moonlighting
- 2007: Sunlighting (Mixtape)
- 2008: Tanya Morgan is a Rap Group (Mixtape)
- 2008: The Bridge (EP)
- 2009: Brooklynati
- 2010: Don Cusack in High Fidelity (Donwill Solo LP)
- 2010: Pea's Gotta Have It (Von Pea Solo LP) (October 12, 2010)
- 2011: Doppelganger (Donwill Solo EP)
- 2011: You and What Army (EP)
- 2013: Rubber Souls
- 2013: PeaSwain (EP) (with Danny!)
- "iTunes - Music - Rubber Souls by Tanya Morgan". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-09-24. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- Lucas, Demetria (Dec. 2005). "Show and Prove: Tanya Morgan". XXL.
- Dufresne, Jessica (Apr. 2006). Review for Moonlighting by Tanya Morgan. The Source.
- Chairman Mao (May 2006). "Chairman's Choice". XXL.
- Ntiri, Ed (June/July 2006). "Tanya Morgan is a hip-hop group". Wax Poetics
- [dead link]
- "The Big 10 - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2008-07-04. Retrieved 2013-11-11.