Tanya S. Chutkan
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia|
June 5, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Seat established|
|Born||1962 (age 51–52)
|Alma mater||George Washington University
University of Pennsylvania
Tanya S. Chutkan (born 1962) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
Chutkan received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1983 from George Washington University. She received a Juris Doctor in 1987 from the University of Pennsylvania Law School. From 1987 to 1990, she worked at the law firm of Hogan & Hartson LLP (now Hogan Lovells). From 1990 to 1991, she worked at the law firm of Donovan, Leisure, Rogovin, Huge & Schiller. From 1991 to 2002, she was a trial attorney and supervisor at the Public Defender Service in the District of Columbia. She was a partner at the law firm of Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP, where her practice focused on complex civil litigation and specifically antitrust class action cases.
Federal judicial service
On December 19, 2013, President Obama nominated Chutkan to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, to a new seat created pursuant to 104 Stat. 5089, on July 1, 2013.
On March 27, 2014 her nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On May 22, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on the nomination. On Tuesday June 3, 2014 the U.S. Senate voted 54-40 on the motion to invoke cloture. On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 the U.S. Senate voted in favor of final confirmation by a vote of 95-0. She received her judicial commission on June 5, 2014.
She was assigned to the Public.Resource.Org copyright case.
- "President Obama Nominates Eight to Serve on United States District Courts" White House, December 19, 2013
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate" White House, December 19, 2013
- "Nominations". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 170. United States Senate. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 173. United States Senate. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "Biographical Directory of Federal Judges". Federal Judicial Center. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- Tanya Sue Chutkan at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|New seat||Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia
|This American law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|