Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology
The Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology (COSTECH) is a parastatal organization affiliated with the government of Tanzania. It was created by an act of the National Assembly of Tanzania in 1986 as a successor to the Tanzania National Scientific Research Council. The commission is a subsidiary institution to the Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology. Its main offices are located in Dar es Salaam.
The function of COSTECH is that of "co-ordinating and promoting research and technology development activities in the country." Government-funded science activity in the country is governed by the commission, and its duties include the administration of research grants, maintenance of research registry and science information services, setting research policy, and creating incentives for invention and innovation. Areas of activity include the Internet, biotechnology, energy, telecommunications, the development of multimedia teaching material, and more.
Organization and operations
COSTECH works with corporations, universities, and other parastatals, including the Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organization and the Tanzania Traditional Energy Development and Environment Organisation.
Institutions affiliated with COSTECH include:
- Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organisation
- Tanzania Engineering Manufacturing and Design Organisation
- Tanzania Bureau of Standards
- Building Research Unit
- National Construction Council
- Tanzania Industrial Studies and Consulting Organisation
- Tanzania Automotive Technology Centre
- Institute of Production Innovation of the University of Dar es Salaam
Health and Medical Research
Food and Agricultural Research
- Centre for Agriculture Mechanisation and Rural Technology
- Tropical Pesticides and Research Institute
- Tanzania Food and Nutrition Centre
- Tanzania Fisheries Research Institute
Natural Resources Research
Social Sciences Research
|This Tanzania-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|