Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology
The Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology (COSTECH) is a parastatal organization affiliated with the government of Tanzania. COSTECH was created by an act of the National Assembly of Tanzania in 1986 as a successor to the Tanzania National Scientific Research Council. The commission is a subsidiary institution to the Ministry of Communications, Science and Technology (MCST). COSTECH's main offices are located in Dar es Salaam.
The function of COSTECH is that of "co-ordinating and promoting research and technology development activities in the country." Government-funded science activity in the country is governed by the commission, and its duties include the administration of research grants, maintenance of research registry and science information services, setting research policy, and creating incentives for invention and innovation. Areas of activity include the Internet, biotechnology, energy, telecommunications, the development of multimedia teaching material, and more.
COSTECH works with corporations, universities, and other parastatals, including the Tanzania Industrial Research and Development Organization and the Tanzania Traditional Energy Development and Environment Organization.
Research & Governmental Organizations
Sister subsidiary institutions of COSTECH under the MCST include:
- Tanzania Atomic Energy Commission
- Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology
- Tanzania Communication Regulatory Authority
- Dar es Salaam Institute of Technology
- Mbeya University of Science and Technology
- Arusha Technical College
Non-governmental and international affiliates
- Dar Teknohama Business Incubator (DTBi), led by Engineer George Mulamula 
- Human Development Innovation Fund (HDIF), led by David B. Mcginty, GRM Futures Group
- TANZICT, a bilateral collaboration between the Ministry of Communications, Science and Technology of Tanzania MCST and Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
|This Tanzania-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|