Danish film director Tao Nørager
18 April 1974 |
|Years active||2005- present|
Nørager grew up in the Danish town Virum with his mother, a free lance creative director and graphics designer for the advertising industry, and his farther CASPER, a record producer for Polydor Records. At a young age he became friends with Jurij Moskvitin.
During his early years Nørager quickly grew a fondness for the graffiti drawing style and participated in the graffiti subculture of Copenhagen during the 80's. The original 80's subcultural style is still present in most of Nørager's works.
After graduating form the Danish Advertisingschool, Nørager continued onto The Short & Documentary Filmschool where he graduated in 2005 with the short film De Personlige.
After a couple of years working in advertising Nørager became friends with the Welsh fashion designer Andrew Mackenzie. Together with a professional camera crew Nørager directed Mackenzie's Fashion Shows in Milan from 2005 to 2007. The use of an entirely professional camera team using multiple stable camera angles and focusing on the detail in the design, instead of watching the audience and high tempo zoom and tilt, together with a professional film editor resulted in a completely new paradigm for fashion photography.
Nørager directed his first picture De Personlige (The Personals) in 2005. It featured a story about a lonely business man who through a personal ad gets a blind date with what he thinks is a beautiful young woman and her child. During the dinner in the lady's apartment she refers to the picture she sent the man as "a bit dated" further more it turns out her now 30 year old son also lives in the apartment. The business man regrets his involvement and tries to sneak away, with disastrous consequences.
Bible Black: Five Days with Andrew Mackenzie
After his involvement with filming the fashion shows, Nørager decided to make a very personal documentary about his friend Andrew Mackenzie, Bible Black (2011) . The documentary features Mackenzie's great comeback to the fashion world after a couple years of obscurity due to legal trouble over the trademark name "Andrew Mackenzie". The documentary follows the increasingly anxious Mackenzie in the last days before a fashion show giving a unique view into the fashion world. As opposed to Nørager's fashion shootings featuring a complete film crew, Nørager chose to be the cameraman himself, in that way ensuring that he did not disturb Mackenzie in his work, and also making sure he could track Mackenzie's every move. The production of the movie happened without any public economic support and was screened as a working copy at the Copenhagen International Documentary Festival  where it received a standing applause from the audience and positive reviews by numerous newspapers, Politiken going so far as calling it "A true view into the fashion industry". While the Internet magazine look4fashion.dk praised the camera work and called the movie an expirance for fashion lovers and movie lovers alike 
Documentary about a traditional New Orleans jazz singer and street performer Meschiya Lake and the life of musicians in post Hurricane Katrina New Orleans. The Movie is descried as a performance film about the near-death and vivid rebirth of both its subject, Meschiya, and the city that surrounds her and giving a novel glimpse of a thriving young creative crew.
The movie premiered on October 15, 2012 during the New Orleans film festival.
- "De Personlige" (in Danish). 2008.
- Bible Black: Five Days with Andrew Mackenzie at the Internet Movie Database
- KvdM, Daily Tiger (2 February 2011). "ACHTER SCHEMEN (behind the scene)" (in Dutch). p. 8. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "Bible Black til Rotterdam" (in Danish). FAF, Faglig organisation for freelancere og ansatte i produktion af animation, computerspil, kort- og dokumentarfilm, multimedier, spillefilm og tv. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- Screened at CPH:DOX 2008, CPH:DOX, retrieved Aug 5, 2009.
- Anne Andersen, Politiken (August 9, 2008). "2. sektion". Et ægte blik ind i modeverdenen (in Danish) (e126f978). p. 5.
- "Verdenspremiere om Andrew macenzie" (in Danish). August 7, 2008. Retrieved Aug 5, 2009.
- Ito Bruun, Mika (3 February 2011). "Rå modedokumentar på festival". ekkofilm.dk. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "Bible Black til Rotterdam". FAF, Faglig organisation for freelancere og ansatte i produktion af animation, computerspil, kort- og dokumentarfilm, multimedier, spillefilm og tv. Retrieved 11 January 2011.
- "Insecure, extravaganza designer Andrew MacKenzie filmed whilst preparing his comeback show. Intimate portrait of an exceptional designer.". International Film Festival Rotterdam. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "True Family". True Family.
- "The voice of Meschiya Lake". www.indiegogo.com.
- True Family at the Internet Movie Database
- Bill Arceneaux (October 11, 2012). "MoviePass Review: True Familu". moviepass. "But what really impressed me here is how, through this singer, we are given a novel glimpse of a thriving young creative crew."
- "Of particular note is True Family, a documentary about Meschiya Lake and the experience of performing on Royal Street". http://www.offbeat.com.
- Punk mødte pailletter til modefolkets dokumentarfest (in Danish), Politiken, 14 November 2008.
- Jensen, Karina (13 November 2008), Fashion-fest med film i Kødbyen (in Danish), Urban Øst.
- Week dox mode. Mød to store designere på lærredet og fest med modefolket (in Danish), Urban.dk, 13 November 2008.
- Bagterp, Jakob (10 November 2008), BIBLE BLACK. I 2008 trådte det walisiske design-ikon Andrew Mackenzie tilbage i spotlyset (in Danish), cover.dk, retrieved Aug 5, 2009.
- Latimer, Nathaniel (May 29, 2010), What happened at the Mobys!?!, Tao Norager, a documentary filmmaker who immediately evinced his affable qualities as a spiritual powerhouse. He is certainly someone to look out for in the near future, Blog "socialnormmovie.wordpress.com", retrieved May 29, 2010.
- Sloan, Maya (May 27, 2010), He booked a flight, packed his camera and came all the way to NYC within 24 hours to catch the whole thing on his camera., Maya Sloan's Blog, retrieved May 29, 2010
- Sloan, Maya (June 15, 2010), Tao is an incredibly gifted documentary filmmaker…it is in his blood. I’m in love with his documentary Bible Black, Maya Sloan's Blog, retrieved June 17, 2010