Tao Ruspoli's self portrait
7 November 1975 |
|Residence||Venice, Los Angeles, California|
|Nationality||Italy and United States|
|Occupation||filmmaker, musician, photographer|
|Spouse(s)||Olivia Wilde (m. 2003; div. 2011)|
Ruspoli is the second son of occasional actor and aristocrat Prince Alessandro Ruspoli, 9th Prince of Cerveteri and Austrian-American actress Debra Berger. He is the older brother of Bartolomeo dei Principi Ruspoli (born 6 October 1978 in Rome), second husband of oil heiress Aileen Getty. His half-siblings include Francesco, 10th Prince of Cerveteri; Melusina Ruspoli, and Theodoro Ruspoli.
He married actress Olivia Wilde on 7 June 2003 in Washington, Virginia. On 8 February 2011, they announced that they were separating. Wilde filed for divorce in Los Angeles County Superior Court on 3 March 2011, citing "irreconcilable differences". The divorce was finalized on 29 September 2011. Wilde did not seek spousal support, and the pair reached a private agreement on property division.
His feature narrative début, Fix, was one of 10 feature films to screen in competition at the 2008 Slamdance Film Festival and soon afterward at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival where Ruspoli was awarded the Heineken Red Star Award for "most innovative and progressive filmmaker". Fix also won the Festival Award for Best Film at the 2008 Brooklyn Film Festival, Vail Film Festival and the 2008 Twin Rivers Media Festival, as well as other prizes at several international festivals.
His most well-known documentaries are Being in the World, an exploration of the real world implications of the philosophical work of Martin Heidegger, and Just Say Know, a personal discussion of his family's drug addiction. His other films include Flamenco: A Personal Journey, a feature length documentary about the flamenco way of life as it is lived by Gypsies in the south of Spain. He has directed a number of other short documentaries, including El Cable (also about Flamenco), and This Film Needs No Title: A Portrait of Raymond Smullyan (a portrait of the renowned logician, mathematician and concert pianist Raymond Smullyan).
Tao founded LAFCO in 2000. The Los Angeles Filmmakers Cooperative, is a bohemian collective of filmmakers and musicians who work out of a converted school bus. Through LAFCO, Tao has produced several films.
Tao is an accomplished flamenco guitar player.
- Jack (1996) Production Assistant
- Bulworth (1998) Art department Assistant
- Tango, no me dejes nunca (1998) Camera Apprentice (as Teo Rispoli)
- Just Say Know (2002) Director, Cinematographer and Film editor
- This Film Needs No Title: A Portrait of Raymond Smullyan (2004) Director, Cinematographer and Film editor
- El Cable (2004) Director, Cinematographer, Editor and Film producer
- Flamenco: A Personal Journey (2005) Director, Cinematographer and Film producer
- Camjackers (2006) Whack Filmmaker #1 and also Film editor and Executive Producer
- Fix (2008) Milo[clarification needed] and also Writer, Cinematographer and Film director
- Behind the Wheel (2008) Film director
- Being in the World (2009) Film director
- Flamenco, Mapleshade Records, 2005
- "Prince Dado Ruspoli". Telegraph Media Group. 2005-01-15. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- Rizzo, Monica (12 November 2007). "Olivia Wilde - She's Wild About Hugh Laurie, Classic Cars and Her Husband—a Real-Life Prince!". People. Retrieved 23 February 2008.
- Jordan, Julie (8 February 2011). "Olivia Wilde Separates from Husband Tao Ruspoli". People Magazine. Retrieved 8 February 2011.
- Gopalan, Nisha (11 March 2011). "Olivia Wilde Divorces Tao Ruspoli". People Magazine. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- Fleeman, Mike (3 October 2011). "Olivia Wilde Divorce Finalized". People Magazine. Retrieved 4 October 2011.