|Born||8 May 1926
Kirtipasha, Barishal, Bangladesh
|Died||26 November 2014|
|Doctoral advisor||C.C. Davies|
|Notable students||Shahid Amin, Gyanendra Pandey, Gowher Rizvi, Suranjan Das|
|Notable awards||Watumull Prize|
Tapan Raychaudhuri (8 May 1926 - 26 November 2014) was an Indian historian specialising in British Indian history, Indian economic history and the History of Bengal. He was a Reader in Modern South Asian History at University of Oxford from 1973 to 1992; one year before retirement in 1993, he was given an ad hominem promotion to Professor of Indian History and Civilization. He was also Fellow of St Antony's College, Oxford from 1973-93 where he remained as an Emeritus Fellow until his death in 2014.
Education and Career
He was a student of Jagabandhu Institution, Calcutta, Ballygunge Government High School, Calcutta, Barisal Zilla School, Scottish Church College, Calcutta and finally Presidency College, Calcutta. He was a Deputy Director of the National Archives of India and taught at the Delhi School of Economics under Delhi University where he was the Director for a few years.
Awards and honours
- Watumull Prize awarded by the American Historical Association, 1982. (jointly with Irfan Habib) for the Cambridge Economic History of India.
- Doctor of Letters 1993, University of Oxford
- Doctor of Letters honoris causa by the University of Calcutta
- Doctor of Letters honoris causa by the University of Burdwan
- Padma Bhushan in 2007 in recognition to his contributions to history.
- National Research Professor 2010
He was a nephew of Hem Chandra Raychaudhuri.
- Perceptions, Emotions, Sensibilities: Essays on India's Colonial and Post-colonial Experiences (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2005),
- The Cambridge Economic History of India, Vol. I, (Hyderabad: Orient Longman, 2004), (jointly edited with Irfan Habib),
- Romanthan Athoba Bhimrotiprapter Paracharitcharcha, (Calcutta: Ananda Publishers, 1992) (in Bengali)
- Europe Reconsidered: Perception of the West in Nineteenth Century Bengal, (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1988)
- Bengal Under Akbar & Jahangir: An Introductory Study in Social History, (1969),
- Jan Company in Coromandel, (Martinus Nijhoff, 1962),
- Bangalnama, (Ananda Publishers, Calcutta, 2007)
- The World in our time, (Harper & Collins, 2012)
- Historian Tapan Raychaudhuri dies
- "Professor Tapan Kumar Raychaudhuri DPhil, DLitt, Bio". Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities, Cambridge University. Archived from the original on 2013-10-02. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Amartya Sen - Biographical
- AHA Award Recipients
- "Annual Convocation". University of Calcutta.
- "Padma Vibhushan for Bhagwati, V. Krishnamurthy". The Hindu. January 27, 2007. p. 1.
- "UK General Catalogue". Oxford University Press.
- Indian Economic & Social History Review, Vol. 27, No. 3, 370-372 (1990) doi:10.1177/001946469002700314 
- "Bengal Under Akbar & Jahangir". Coronet Books.
- Walter C. Neale, The Journal of Asian Studies, Vol. 23, No. 2 (Feb., 1964), pp. 318-320. doi:10.2307/2050166