Tapan Raychaudhuri (b. 8 May 1926) is an Indian historian specialising in British Indian history, Indian economic history and the History of Bengal. He was Reader in Modern South Asian History at University of Oxford from 1973 to 1992; one year before retirement in 1993, he was given an ad hominem promotion to Professor of Indian History and Civilization. He was also Fellow of St. Anthony College, Oxford from 1973-93 where he is now Emeritus Fellow.
Raychaudhuri was born on 8 May 1926 in an eminent Vaidya-Brahmin family in Comilla, Bengal, British India (now in Bangladesh), the third son of Amiya Kumar Raychaudhuri, the Zamindar of Kirtipasha in Barisal, Bengal (now in Bangladesh) and a middle level leader of the Congress party there before 1947.
Awards and honours
- Watumull Prize awarded by the American Historical Association, 1982. (jointly with Irfan Habib) for the Cambridge Economic History of India.
- Doctor of Letters 1993, University of Oxford
- Doctor of Letters honoris causa by the University of Calcutta
- Doctor of Letters honoris causa by the University of Burdwan
- Padma Bhushan in 2007 in recognition to his contributions to history.
- National Research Professor 2010
- Perceptions, Emotions, Sensibilities: Essays on India's Colonial and Post-colonial Experiences (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2005),
- The Cambridge Economic History of India, Vol. I, (Hyderabad: Orient Longman, 2004), (jointly edited with Irfan Habib),
- Romanthan Athoba Bhimrotiprapter Paracharitcharcha, (Calcutta: Ananda Publishers, 1992) (in Bengali)
- Europe Reconsidered: Perception of the West in Nineteenth Century Bengal, (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1988)
- Bengal Under Akbar & Jahangir: An Introductory Study in Social History, (1969),
- Jan Company in Coromandel, (Martinus Nijhoff, 1962),
- Bangalnama, (Ananda Publishers, Calcutta, 2007)
- The World in our time, (Harper & Collins, 2012)
- "Professor Tapan Kumar Raychaudhuri DPhil, DLitt, Bio". Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities, Cambridge University. Archived from the original on 2013-10-02. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Tapan Raychaudhuri, Romanthan Athoba Bhimrotiprapter Paracharitcharcha (Calcutta, 1992)
- Amartya Sen - Biographical
- AHA Award Recipients
- "Annual Convocation". University of Calcutta.
- "Padma Vibhushan for Bhagwati, V. Krishnamurthy". The Hindu. January 27, 2007. p. 1.
- "UK General Catalogue". Oxford University Press.
- Indian Economic & Social History Review, Vol. 27, No. 3, 370-372 (1990) doi:10.1177/001946469002700314 
- "Bengal Under Akbar & Jahangir". Coronet Books.
- Walter C. Neale, The Journal of Asian Studies, Vol. 23, No. 2 (Feb., 1964), pp. 318-320. doi:10.2307/2050166