|Residence||San Francisco, California, USA|
|Occupation||Net Power & Light,
CEO and Founder
|Known for||Entrepreneur, designer, inventor, technology expert, innovation strategist|
2013 ComputerWorld Honors Laureates (Mobile Access -
Net Power & Light)
She is CEO and founder of Net Power & Light based in the Presidio of San Francisco. Lemmey is a co-inventor of over forty US and international utility and design patents. She was named one of the 100 Most Creative People in Business in 2013 by Fast Company (magazine) and is one of the MCP 1000: The Most Creative People in Business.
Innovation & strategy
Lemmey is a member of The Markle Initiative for America’s Economic Future in a Networked World  created in 2013 and co-chaired by Zoe Baird and Howard Schultz. The goals of the Markle Economic Future Initiative are to envision and be a catalyst for an America with broad participation in the global digital economy; and to seek scalable solutions to reinvigorate the American Dream, imagining new strategies for jobs and economic security that can help propel our country into a future where the next generation will once again be better off than the last.
Lemmey has founded multiple companies in both the private and public sectors, most recently Net Power & Light, the Home of Spin. She is the chairman of LENS, an innovation strategy firm that works with leading institutions in creating next markets. LENS has advised senior executives of nonprofits and Fortune 500 companies, including Intel, American Express, and the Lumina Foundation on innovation, next-generation strategies, new markets, and investments and acquisitions. She led the strategy for Ribbit, acquired by British Telecom in 2008, and served on the board of Discovery Mining, acquired by Interwoven, now part of HP.
Lemmey speaks regularly on innovation in the industry, government, academia, and nonprofit sectors—most recently at Techonomy 2013, 2012 and 2011, Digital Media and Learning Conference 2011, TED India 2010, Fortune Brainstorm Tech Conference 2009. She is a frequent participant at the Aspen Institute, most recently contributing to "Solving the Dilbert Paradox", a report from the Aspen Round Table on Talent Development.
Lemmey was profiled as one of the protagonists in The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion (John Hagel III, John Seely Brown and Lang Davison), "this year's must-read book on innovation" in 2010 (Bloomberg BusinessWeek) endorsed by Bill Clinton, Walter Isaacson, Eric Schmidt and other policy and business leaders.
National security, technology and privacy
Lemmey served as a co-chair of the Technology Working Group on the Markle Foundation's Task Force on National Security in the Information Age and was the lead architect of the SHARE information environment recommendation which became the ISE, the new way of information sharing for the intelligence and national security community post 9/11.
From 2002 to 2012, the Markle Task Force on National Security in the Information Age has offered a broad vision and detailed recommendations on the key policy and technology issues affecting the creation of a trusted information environment. These recommendations have been adopted by Executive Order, codified in two pieces of federal legislation and led to the creation of the Information Sharing Environment.
Lemmey was on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Privacy Advisory Committee, which provides external expert advice to the Department’s Secretary and the Chief Privacy Officer on matters relating to privacy and civil liberties preservation in relation to national security improvements.
Lemmey was a Commissioner on the Embassy of the Future Task Force at the Center for Strategic and International Studies as the "Ambassador from Silicon Valley" contributing to the Commission's Report that provided key recommendations for making the diplomatic pursuit of U.S. interests abroad more effective in the 21st century.
In 2009 she took part in the U.S. State Department's Technology Delegation to Mexico, which explored ways for U.S. technology companies to support Mexican citizens’ resistance against the country’s drug cartels.
In 2010, she was a delegate to the White House Council on Women and Girls Women’s Entrepreneurship Conference, which was formed to address critical challenges and opportunities and identify public policy initiatives needed to move the women’s business agendas forward.
Lemmey created DGREE.ORG —an initiative funded by the Lumina Foundation to envision the future of higher education and exploring how technology and innovation can drive new models for student-centered, lifetime learning. In 2010 she hosted the DGREE Summit which brought together the shared thinking of business leaders, venture capitalists, education foundations, and university leaders and accreditors to focus on student-centric learning in a sustainable educational ecosystem.
Lemmey and Net Power & Light has worked with Harvard Professor Michael Sandel to create a live global classroom in the fall of 2012. The live experience brought together students of Sandel's course Justice with those in China, India, Japan and Brazil with the furthest participating locations - Sao Paulo and Shanghai - over 11,500 miles away from each other. One of the live discussions featured philosopher Peter Singer joining the Harvard audience in Sanders Theater live from New York. The video recordings of the 2012 global classroom experiment were featured in Sandel's EdX massive open online course in 2013. In addition, Net Power & Light enabled Michael Sandel's course Justice for live interactive discussions worldwide via TogetherJustice iPad application which uses Net Power & Light's Spin platform.
Lemmey is on the faculty of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona and collaborates each year with Dr. Andrew Weil and Dr. Victoria Maizes on the Center’s annual public forum. In May 2011, Lemmey moderated the forum “Food and Health: Public Policy and Personal Choice” with Dr. Andrew Weil, Dr. Robert Lustig and Michael Pollan, held in San Francisco.
Awards and Honors
- "Net Power & Light". http://www.netpowerandlight.com/. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Spin". http://getspin.com/. Retrieved 12 January 2014.
- "Tara Lemmey: Patents". https://www.google.com/?tbm=pts#q=ininventor%3A%22Tara+Lemmey%22&start=20&tbm=pts. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "Fast Company: 100 Most Creative People in Business in 2013.". http://www.fastcompany.com/3009144/most-creative-people-2013/64-tara-lemmey. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Markle Economic Future Initiative Members". http://www.markle.org/national-security/markle-initiative-collaborators/markle-initiative-members. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "LENS Ventures". http://lensventures.com/. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Techonomy 2013: A Spin with Tara Lemmey". http://techonomy.com/conf/13-tucson/networked-society-2/spin-tara-lemmey/. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "Techonomy 2012: Changing How the World Learns". http://forwardthinking.pcmag.com/none/305000-techonomy-changing-how-the-world-learns. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "Techonomy 2011 Agenda. Know Thyself: Self-Tracking in an Era of Bespoke Healthcare. Moderator: Tara Lemmey". http://te11.techonomy.com/sites/all/themes/techonomy/pdf/Techonomy_Agenda.pdf. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "Digital Media and Learning 2011. Transforming Play - Plenary Session with Tara Lemmey, Mizuko Ito, David Washington, Francois Bar". http://dmlcentral.net/sites/dmlcentral/files/resource_files/DML2011ConferenceProgram.pdf. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Solving The Dilbert Paradox - a report from the Aspen Round Table on Talent Development". http://www.aspeninstitute.org/sites/default/files/content/docs/cands/Solving_the_Dilbert_Paradox.pdf. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Deloitte Center for the Edge. The Power of Pull. From Passion to Potential. Vol 4". http://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom-UnitedStates/Local%20Assets/Documents/TMT_us_tmt/us_tmt_ce_PassiontoPotentialVol4_040610.pdf. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Business Week: John Hagel on Inviible Innovation". http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/next/archives/2010/05/john_hagel_on_invisible_innovation.html. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "The Power of Pull". http://www.edgeperspectives.com/pop.html. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Tara Lemmey: Markle Task Force on National Security in the Information Age". http://www.markle.org/national-security/experts-impact/519-tara-lemmey. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Tara Lemmey". markle.org. Retrieved 5 October 2013.
- "Markle: Information Sharing & Collaboration". http://www.markle.org/national-security/information-sharing-collaboration. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Brief History of the ISE". http://ise.gov/sites/default/files/Brief%20History%20of%20the%20ISE.pdf/. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Markle: Creating an Information Sharing Environment. Status of Implementation". http://www.markle.org/news-events/connected-world-blog/creating-information-sharing-environment-status-implementation. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "U.S. Department of Homeland Security Data Privacy and Integrity Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes". http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/privacy/privacy_advcom_09-2005_mins_am.pdf. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "EFF Appoints New Director". http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/1999/02/17941. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "P3P Guiding Principles". http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-P3P10-principles#Signatories. Retrieved 1 October 2013.
- "CSIS Embassy of the Future Commission Issues Report:". http://csis.org/files/media/csis/press/pr_2007_1015.pdf. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Embassy of the Future Report". Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Scola, Nancy (August 27, 2009). "The State Department's Tech.Del: Can People Crush Mexico's Drug Cartels?". Tech President Blog. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Ozyegin University". http://www.ozyegin.edu.tr/Events/2012-Events/Women-Entrepreneurship-in-Technology-by-Tara-Lemme. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "US Embassy Turkey Twitter". https://mobile.twitter.com/USEmbassyTurkey/status/256396002024648704. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Eskisehir Technopark". http://www.kampushaber.org/eskisehir-osmangazi-universitesi/tara-lemmey-inovasyon-stratejileri-konferansi-bugun-sanayi-odasinda-164287.html. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Kagider: Women Entrepreneur Association Turkey". http://www.kagider.org/?Dil=0&SID=1&HID=451. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Turkish WIN". https://turkishwintr14-eorg.eventbrite.com/. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "GÖKTEN TEKNOLOJİK FİKİR DÜŞMEZ". http://www.2eylul.com.tr/ekonomi/gokten-teknolojik-fikir-dusmez-h6993.html. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "DGREE: Envisioning the Future of Higher Education". http://www.dgree.org. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Lumina Foundation: Envisioning the Future of Higher Education". http://www.luminafoundation.org/about_us/president/speeches/2010-01-07.html. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Tara Lemmey: Envisioning the Future of Higher Education". http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tara-lemmey/rethinking-higher-educati_b_387851.html. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "DGREE Summit 2010". http://www.dgree.org/summit-2010. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Tara Lemmey: Fast Company 100 Most Creative People in Business 2013". http://www.fastcompany.com/3009144/most-creative-people-2013/64-tara-lemmey. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- "2013 ComputerWorld Honors Laureates". http://www.eiseverywhere.com/ehome/49069/83917/?&. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Faculty: Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine". http://integrativemedicine.arizona.edu/about/faculty.html. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "Public Forum at Nutrition and Health Conference on YouTube". http://youtube.com/user/nhcpublicforum. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Food and Health: Public Policy and Personal Choice with Andrew Weil, Michael Pollan and Robert Lustig moderated by Tara Lemmey". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9_Xik-ps94. Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "2013 ComputerWorld Honors Laureates". http://www.eiseverywhere.com/ehome/49069/83917/?&. Retrieved 15 May 2013.