|Birth name||Tara Jane McDonald|
|Origin||Dartford, Kent, England|
|Labels||ULM, Mercury Group, Universal Music Europe|
|Associated acts||Axwell, David Guetta, Armand van Helden, Nicky Romero, Todd Terry, Kenny Dope, DJ Sneak, Funkerman, Roberto Bellarosa, Quentin Mosimann|
Tara Jane McDonald is an English songwriter and vocalist widely recognised for a string of crossover hits both internationally and in the UK. Tara achieved success working with Armand Van Helden and co-writing with Axwell on the chart hits ‘My My My’ and ‘Feel The Vibe’. Both these projects debuted at #1 in the club charts, before peaking in the UK sales charts at #12 and #16 respectively. She has also collaborated with Todd Terry co writing ‘Get Down’ and with David Guetta co writing ‘Delirious’ and ‘You Are Not Alone’. ‘Delirious’ – which featured on the ‘Pop Life’ LP’ – was one the most heavily played records on European radio throughout 2008.
McDonald regularly tours the international club circuit with her schedule taking her throughout Europe and on to Australia, Russia, Dubai, U.S.A, China, Egypt and Jordan. Her 2009 performance at Space in Ibiza, within a weekly residency with Hed Kandi and 2010 at Es Paradise, Ibiza Rocks bar and her "Sunset Sessions" at Mambo & Savannah beach bar.
McDonald hosts her own dance music radio show called "I Like This Beat" (formerly called "Shut Up & Dance") which is a one hour show currently syndicated in 39 countries and 42 stations across the world and on dance music stations and is also a podcast available as a free download through iTunes worldwide.
At the start of 2012 Tara worked as assistant vocal coach on the first series of the TV show The Voice in Belgium alongside the French pop star Quentin Mosimann, the winner of this series Roberto Bellarosa was from their team and went on to sign a recording contract with Sony records.
McDonald signed a two album deal with Mercury/Universal in 2012 and her debut album will be released in 2013.
Contrary to all expectations, the Queen of the Dance, Tara McDonald and the platinum selling Queen of R&B French-Canadian, Zaho, who won several Awards, join together for a collaboration and have released in August 2013, a single called "Shooting Star".
The track is sung in English and in French. This unexpected collaboration has quickly been critically acclaimed for its artistic originality. This new single serves both as promotion for the singer, for an album planned at the end of 2013 and also for the republication of Zaho's album "Contagieuse", planned for October 9 this year.
Early life and Career beginnings
Tara was born in Dartford, England. At the age of 9, Tara performed in Les Miserables as Eponine at The Palace Theatre in the West End of London. At 12, she won an international singing competition "The Danny Kaye Award" presented by Audrey Hepburn representing Great Britain and won. The song Tara performed was entitled 'Make Your Own Rainbow'. Her prize was to be a child ambassador for UNICEF for a year promoting & campaigning for the "rights of the child" throughout Europe and also Africa. Then at 13 Tara performed in the NTMT (National Youth Music Theatre) production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" with Jude Law for the Edinburgh festival. At 14, Tara won the juvenile lead part in a new musical called St. Bernadette at the Dominion Theatre in London, this part was also played by Martine McCutcheon. Tara was schooled at the Italia Conti stage school then later moved to the BRIT School.
Tara worked for the charity CSE (Combined Service Entertainment) as a "forces sweetheart" providing entertainment for the UK armed forces around the world. Performing in far flung destinations such as Afghanistan, Iraq, Sierra Leona, Sarajevo/Bosnia, Guam and the Falkland Islands to name a few. The aim of these performances was to act as a link back home and escapism for the men and woman stationed overseas.
In 2000 Planet Funk asked Tara to perform with them their big dance anthem "Chase the Sun" at the MTV Ibiza dance festival alongside Basement Jaxx and Faithless, which proved to be a big success. Tara continued to write songs for other artists and pay the rent by working as a session singer for a range of different artists/tours and TV shows. She co wrote "D-Side's" debut UK Top 5 single "Stronger Together", with Cliff Randall & Simon Britton and was produced by Grammy Award Winning Producers Cut Father & Joe and went on to hit Number 1 in Japan and various other countries throughout South East Asia and was the title track of the album.
Strictly Come Dancing, David Guetta and Playboy (2005–2012)
In 2005 McDonald co-wrote and sang "feel the Vibe til the morning comes" with Axwell, a top 20 hit in the UK and one of the biggest dance tracks of the year, followed by "My My My" with Armand Van Helden in 2006 which entered the UK commercial charts at number 11. Both tracks became big dance anthems and saw McDonald perform these live on Pete Tong BBC1 dance show in Ibiza.
In 2007 McDonald co-wrote two tracks on the "Pop Life" album by David Guetta released in 2008, resulting in the hit single "Delirious",one of the most played records on European radio in 2008, and an album track entitled "You're not alone". McDonald also featured in the music video for this single.
2007 also saw McDonald working with Bryan Ferry on his Dylanesque album backing singing and arranging some of the vocal harmonies. They met previously when Tara was backing singing for the Band Du lac on a special charity concert where Tara was backing singing for Gary Brooker, Eric Clapton, Roger Walters. Tara backing sang on Bryan's next studio album a work of Dylan covers and toured with him for a year.
In 2010 McDonald was asked to be the cover model for French Playboy's "Music is Fashion Sexy" edition. A special music edition of the magazine which was the biggest selling issue of French Playboy in 2010. Seven pictures of Tara were used in the edition dressing her as a modern day pin up with an Andy Warhol influence. Bryan Ferry, David Vendetta and David Guetta all wrote supporting articles about their experiences working with Tara McDonald.
In 2010 McDonald collaborated on many new records "I'm Your Goddess" with David Vendetta, a dance track with a middle Eastern feel featuring Alim Gasinov from Azerbaijan on DJ Centre Records. "Elevated" with the Australian dance duo TV Rock, "Everything", "Funkerman", "Beats for You" with Mischa Daniels on Amarda Music, "Set me on Fire" with Sidney Samson on Spinnin Records and the big smash "Give Into The Night/Tomorrow" with Dimitri Vegas, Like Mike Dada Life which was the anthem for the dance music festival Tomorrowland (festival) in Belgium and went to the top of the club charts and peaked as a top 20 track commercially. Tara wrote the vocal melody and lyric and also recorded & produced the vocals for the track.
In 2011 McDonald released "Dynamite" with Sidney Samson on Spinnin Records and the remix by Nicky Romero became one of the most successful club tracks of that year with over 2 million views on YouTube. In this year Tara worked again with David Guetta on a new track called "Pandemonium" with Afrojack which was released on FMIF Ibiza mix compilation on EMI Records. Tara's next record "Generation 24/7" was released though Hed Kandi records on 26/12/11.
McDonald released a new track with David Guetta and Afrojack in 2011 called "Pandemonium" from the 2011 FMIF Ibiza mix album and also wrote and sang the anthem to Tomorrowland (festival) 2010 with Dimitri Vegas, Like Mike and Dada Life called "Tomorrow/Give Into The Night" which was an international club hit as well as a commercial radio hit in Belgium. In 2010 McDonald was voted the best voice of the dance scene by the readers of "Only For DJ's" magazine in France.
In 2011 McDonald performed at the festival 24hrs of Burning House (held in Smederevo Fortress, Serbia), alongside Junior Jack, Sandy Rivera, Chocolate Puma, Steve Edwards and many other artists. It was her second time visiting Serbia.
McDonald performed at the "Girls First" concert by children's charity Plan in Amsterdam with the biggest pop stars from The Netherlands and she was the only non Dutch artist to perform on the night. The concert was to raise awareness for equal rights for girls in developing countries and was televised through Avro. The United Nations declared 11 October to be an international day to put "Girls First".
Radio Show, The Voice and New Album (2012–2013)
In 2012 McDonald started her own weekly radio show every Monday 1am - 2am called "Shut Up & Dance" (now recalled "I Like This Beat", Mixed by Italian DJ-Producer Gabry Sangineto) on FG Radio (France & Belgium). She is the only non DJ to have her radio show on France's coolest dance music station alongside, David Guetta, Armin van Buurin & Laidback Luke. In 2013 the show was renamed to "I Like This Beat" and is on radio in 42 countries across the world each week, plus onboard Emirates airlines and as a free podcast on iTunes.
In 2012 McDonald signed a 2 album deal with Mercury/Universal and the first single "Give Me More" was one of the most played tracks on European commercial radio during the summer period and her first album will be released in 2013.
- Shooting Star - Tara McDonald Feat. Zaho - Universal Music France - 2013
- Fix Of You - Tara McDonald - Universal Music France - 2013
- Give Me More - Tara McDonald - Universal Music France - 2012
- Pandemonium - David Guetta & Afrojack featuring Tara McDonald - EMI Records - 2011
- Generation 24/7 - Tara McDonald - [Hed Kandi] Records - 2011
- All Alone - Quentin Mosimann & Tara McDonald - Universal Records - 2011
- Dynamite - Sidney Samson vs Tara McDonald - Spinnin Records - 2011 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- Set Me On Fire - Sidney Samson vs Tara McDonald - Spinnin Records - 2011 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- Tomorrow (Give Into The Night) - Dimitri Vegas, Like Mike, Dada Life & Tara McDonald - Smash The House - 2010
- Can't Stop Singing - Mowgli & Tara McDonald - Data Records - 2010 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- Beats For You - Mischa Daniels & Tara McDonald - Armada Music - 2010 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- Everything - Funkerman & Tara McDonald - Flamingo Records - 2010 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- I'm Your Goddess - David Vendetta vs Tara McDonald featuring Alim Gasimov - Dj Centre - 2010 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- Elevated - TV Rock & Tara McDonald - Neon Records - 2010 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- La La Land - Joey Negro & Tara McDonald - Blanco Negro Records - 2010 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- Shake It - Lee Cabrera vs Thomas Gold & Tara McDonald - CR2 Records - 2009
- Revolution - The Vibers & Tara McDonald - Roton - 2009 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- Love Crazy - Warren Clarke & Tara McDonald - Hed Kandi - 2008 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- Delirious (from the album Pop Life)- David Guetta feat. Tara McDonald - EMI - 2008 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- You're Not Alone (from the album Pop Life)- David Guetta feat. Tara McDonald - EMI - 2008 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- Play On - Todd Terry Allstars feat. Tara McDonald - Strictly Rhythm Records - 2007 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- Get Down - Todd Terry Allstars feat. Tara McDonald - Strictly Rhythm Records - 2007 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- Take Me I'm Yours & Let Me In (From the album Music Takes Me) - Stonebridge - Stoneboy Records - 2007 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
- My My My (Funktuary) - Armand Van Helden feat. Tara McDonald - Southern Fried Records - 2006
- Feel The Vibe (Till The Morning Comes)' Axwell feat. Tara McDonald - Data Records/Ministry Of Sound - 2005 (Co written by Tara McDonald)
(Armand Van Helden feat. Tara McDonald)
|"Feel the Vibe"
(Axwell feat. Tara McDonald)
(David Guetta and Tara McDonald)
|"Tomorrow (Give In to the Night)"
(Dimitri Vegas, Like Mike, Dada Life & Tara McDonald)
(TV Rock & Tara McDonald)
|"Give Me More"
(Tara McDonald feat. Zaho)
- Songwriting discography
- D-Side "Stronger Together" Polydor Records,
- Axwell "Feel the Vibe (Til the Morning Comes)" Data Records,
- Dab Hands "Supergood" Gusto Records,
- Todd Terry "Get Down" Strictly Rhythm records,
- Todd Terry "Play On" Strictly Rhythm records,
- Stonebridge "Let Me In" Stoneboy,
- Stonebridge "Take Me I'm Yours" Stoneboy,
- Jean Claude Ades "Perfect Moment" Juno/Wings,
- The Bench Connection "Young At Last" 50/50 records,
- Eddie Thoneick "Forgiveness" Kontor Records
- Michael Woods[disambiguation needed] "Insatiable" Frenetic Records,
- Patrick Hagenhaar "Criminal" Lowered Records,
- David Guetta "Delirious" EMI Records,
- David Guetta "You're Not Alone" EMI Records,
- Hanna Pakarinen "Rescue Me" Sony/BMG Records,
- Mark Knight "Susan" Toolroom Records,
- Warren Clarke & Tara McDonald "Love Crazy" Hed Kandi Records,
- Indra (singer) "Move In Time" Mercury/Universal Records
- "Strictly On Song". Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Roxy Music". Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Only For DJ's - Meilleure voix féminine, Tara McDonald". Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Tara McDonald wins ‘Only For DJs’ ‘Best Voice Award’". Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Tara McDonald wins 'Only For DJs' 'Best Voice Award' | Chatter-festChatter-fest". Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Tara McDonald: The voice of an angel behind countless clubland hits steps up to the DMC plate...". Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Tara McDonald is cover model for French Playboy March 2010 issue". Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Clarence Bekker ft. Tara McDonald performing @ Girls First Concert Amsterdam video". Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Tara is one of the most successful vocalists in the world". Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Tara McDonald joins belgiums biggest tv show the voice". Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- "Beatport artist Page". Retrieved 2013-05-01.
- Official Website