Tarakeswar (Vidhan Sabha constituency)
|Vidhan Sabha constituency|
|Lok Sabha constituency||29. Arambagh (SC)|
|Electorate (year)||197,200 (2011)|
As per orders of the Delimitation Commission, No. 198 Tarakeswar (Vidhan Sabha constituency) is composed of the following: Tarakeswar municipality, Tarakeswar community development block, and Bhanderhati I, Bhanderhati II, Gopinathpur I, Gopinathpur II and Perambua Sahabazar gram panchayats of Dhaniakhali community development block.
In the 2011 election, Rachpal Singh of Trinamool Congress defeated his nearest rival Pratim Chatterjee of MFB.
|West Bengal assembly elections, 2011: Tarakeswar |
|JDP||Palash Kinkar Hansda||2,996||1.70|
|AITMC gain from MFB||Swing||#|
.# Trinamool Congress did not contest this seat in 2006.
|Party||Seats won||Seat change|
|Communist Party of India (Marxist)||1||12|
|Marxist Forward Bloc||0||1|
Note: New constituencies – 1, constituencies abolished – 2
Tarakeswar has been a base of Marxist Forward Bloc but officially their candidates are often shown as Independent. In 1996, the candidate was shown as belonging to CPI(M). In 2006, 2001 and 1996, Pratim Chatterjee, Independent/ CPI(M), won the 185 Tarakeswar assembly seat defeating Krishna Bhattacharjee of BJP in 2006, Mohan Ghosh of Congress in 2001 and Ajit Kumar Ghosh of Congress in 1996. Contests in most years were multi cornered but only winners and runners are being mentioned. Santi Chatterjee, Independent, defeated Balailal Sheth of Congress in 1991 and 1987. Ram Chatterjee, Independent, defeated Bimal Kanti Ghosh of ICS in 1982 and Ajit Bose Mullik of Janata Party in 1977.
Balai Lal Sheth of Congress won in 1972. Ram Chatterjee of Marxist Forward Block/ Independent won in 1971, 1969 and 1967. Parbati Charan Hazra of Congress won in 1962, 1957 and in independent India’s first election in 1951.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18 dated 15 February 2006" (PDF). Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- "Tarakeswar". Assembly Elections May 2011 Results. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011". Tarakeswar. Empowering India. Retrieved 2011-05-01.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011" (PDF). Tarakeswar. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-05-01.
- "185 - Tarakeswar Assembly Constituency". Partywise Comparison Since 1977. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- "Statistical Reports of Elections". General Election Results and Statistics. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2010-12-01.