|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008)|
|• Body||Chennai Corporation|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Civic agency||Chennai Corporation|
Tharamani (also called Taramani) is an area in the south Indian city of Chennai. It is known for the presence of many IT parks and research institutions. It is located adjacent to the posh residential locality of Adyar in South Chennai.
The temple of Madhya Kailash, at the junction of the Old Mahabalipuram Road and Sardar Patel Road, marks the beginning of Tharamani. Tharamani adjoins Adyar, Thiruvanmiyur, Velachery and Perungudi. The Old Mahabalipuram Road is Tharamani's arterial road. It is renamed as Rajiv Gandhi Salai and often called as IT corridor. Another important road in the area is the Tharamani Link Road which links Tharamani with Velachery running from SRP tools junction on Rajiv Gandhi Salai to Vijayanagar bus terminus in Velachery where it merges with Velachery main road which runs from Little Mount junction in Saidapet to Tambaram via Medavakkam. This is now being widened into a 6-lane road because of the enormous increase in traffic.
Tidel Park, an information technology (IT) park situated here is South India's first IT Park. It was constructed in the vacant land near MGR film city and the remaining space for parking is taken from MGR film city. The region is now renowned for the presence of huge number of IT parks including Ascendas IT Park, Ramanujam IT Park, Elnet Software City and TICEL Biotech Park. World Bank has opened one of its largest offices in Taramani to house its growing financial and technical support services. The 120,000 square feet (11,000 m2) facility is on a 3.5-acre (14,000 m2) plot near Ascendas.
Educational and Research Institutions
Tharamani is home to several research labs and institutions such as:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras(IIT-M)
- Adyar Film Institute
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences
- Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI),
- Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute (CEERI),
- National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI),
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT),
- MS Swaminathan Research Foundation (MSSRF)
- Asian College of Journalism (ACJ),
- Central Polytechnic Chennai
- Computer Society of India (CSI)
- Dr.Dharmambal polytechnic for women Tharamani
- Tidel Park
- Inter National American School
- IRT Institute of Road Transport
Further south, several small scale industries and factories are located in the Vikram Sarabhai Instronics Estate.
The MGR Film City was constructed in Tharamani in 1996. The Film City was a major project of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalitha during her first term in office. Recently, there have been news reports that it is being converted into a "Knowledge Park".