|Tareq Salah Atalla Suheimat|
|Minister of Health|
19 June 2000 – 16 June 2001
|Minister of Post and Communications|
30 May 1993 – 7 June 1994
Dr. Tarek S. Suheimat (23 September 1936), a well-known Jordanian physician, nephrologist, military General, and politician. Born in the historic city of Al-Karak in southern Jordan. The son of MP Salah Suheimat and the grandson of Sheikh Attallah Suheimat, a national leader, who was a member of the First Legislative Council of the Emirate of Transjordan in 1929. Dr. Tarek studied in Amman's schools and then studied medicine in a number of universities, institutes and hospitals in the United Kingdom and the United States of America. He joined the Jordanian Armed Forces where he reached the rank of Lieutenant General, and has held a number of senior responsibilities at both medical and governmental levels.
- Received his primary and secondary education in the Jordanian capital, Amman.
- He studied in Britain, where he received a degree in Medicine and Surgery - University of London and the Royal College of Surgeons of England of London 1962.
- Obtained a Specialty in Internal Medicine – and Renal diseases at leading UK hospitals.
- Obtained at an advanced specialty in nephrology and renal transplantation - from Philadelphia, United States of America.
- Member of the Jordan Medical Association.
- Member and former Chairman of the Jordan Society of Nephrology .
- Member and former Chairman of the Arab Society of Nephrology and Renal Transplantation.
- Member of the International Society of Nephrology.
- Member of the internal medicine society in Jordan.
- Member and former chairman of nephrology board – Jordan Medical council .
- Fellow American College of Physicians.
- Member of the Association of International Affairs.
- Member of the Society of Friends of the poor patient.
- Member and former Chairman of the British-Jordanian Friendship Society.
- President of British University Medical Graduate Society in Jordan.
He joined the Jordanian Armed Forces - the Royal Medical Services and has held several positions including:
- Director of the sections of the Internal Medicine and kidney diseases in the King Hussein Medical Center.
- Deputy Director of the Royal Medical Services Jordan.
- Medical Director of King Hussein Medical Center.
- Chairman of the Department of Internal Medicine at King Hussein Medical City.
- Head of Nephrology, King Hussein Medical City.
- Director of Hamad General Hospital in the State of Qatar.
- Minister of Post and Telecommunications, The Government of Abdelsalam al-Majali in 1993.
- Minister of Health, the government of Ali Abu al-Ragheb in 2000.
- Member of the Senate of Jordan.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Post and Telecommunications of Jordan.
- Managed the first successful kidney transplant in Jordan, in the main military hospital, which is the first of its kind in the Arab World and Jordan. (1972)
Some of the decorations Held:
- The Grand Cordon of the first Order of the Star of Jordan .
- The Grand Cordon of the first Order of Independence (Jordan).
- The Grand Cordon of the second Supreme Order of the Renaissance
- Order of Military Merit First Class.
- Order of the Renaissance of the second division.
Dr Suheimat has accepted the first International Society of Nephrology GO Pioneer Award for the Middle East region. The ceremony took place at the 11th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Jordan Society of Nephrology which was organized from January 23 to 25, 2013 in Amman, Jordan.
- Has a number of research and medical articles, has represented Jordan in many conferences and seminars within and outside Jordan.
- Amounted to a military career to the rank of Lieutenant General, and retired in 1987. Dr. Suheimat is currently working in private practice.